22 replies to this topic

#1 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:46 PM

that talk in that other thread about stevens really made me wonder...who do you guys think is the better player...........
Posted Image

Hahahaha...long overdue. Now they need to get rid of Jacobs.

The problem is, NJ only plays them 4 times a year. We were only able to get them to trade JT and fire the idiot GM. If we played them 8 times a year, maybe Jacobs might have an epiphany and sell the team.

#2 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:50 PM

Stevens. But Brodeur closed the gap and allowed the Devils to play their system.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#3 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,567 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:54 PM

It doesn't matter. Without either of them the Devils don't win three cups!

The sum of the parts made the individual parts better, in other words A TEAM!
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#4 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,987 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:54 PM

you can't really compare a position player to a goaltender. Stevens was a great all around defensman at one point but I thought he could've put up more points between 1995 and now, that probably prevents him from being legendary like Bourque or Bobby Orr. It's like with Leetch, the fact that he didn't showcase his game in the playoffs for so long and was stuck on so many bad Ranger teams will hurt him.

Brodeur is the greatest puckhandling goalie of all times and a great positional player. He's one of the reasons NJ always keeps the shots low, Brodeur makes it easier on himself by handling to puck so well. They even want to change the rules because of this! good glove hand, durable...

But as a pure puckstopper....above average. good, not great. in the playoffs, in OT, I'd take Mike Richter.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,542 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:58 PM

Good, not great in the playoffs? While Brodeur doesn't have a Conn Smythe and his overtime record is atrocious, he kept the Devils in a lot of games.

You can't compare Stevens and Brodeur, it's like comparing a pitcher to a batter. You can compare Stevens to other defensemen and Brodeur to other goalies: Stevens, Larry Robinson, and Eddie Shore are considered the three greatest defensive defensemen of all time. Brodeur will never be considered greater than Roy, and probably not Hasek either, not to mention goalies past.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#6 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:15 PM

I can't really find a way to compare a position player and goalie. Simple fact is that without both of them we don't win 3 cups!

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#7 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,987 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:56 PM

Good, not great in the playoffs?  While Brodeur doesn't have a Conn Smythe and his overtime record is atrocious, he kept the Devils in a lot of games.

You can't compare Stevens and Brodeur, it's like comparing a pitcher to a batter.  You can compare Stevens to other defensemen and Brodeur to other goalies:  Stevens, Larry Robinson, and Eddie Shore are considered the three greatest defensive defensemen of all time.  Brodeur will never be considered greater than Roy, and probably not Hasek either, not to mention goalies past.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

poorly written, I didn't mean he was not great in the playoffs. not counting ot games, his playoff record is great.

just as a pure puckstopper he is good. add in his revolutionary stickhandling and he's great. not on the level of Roy and Hasek though when it comes to making saves, or dominating the way they dominated.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#8 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:12 AM

Apples and Oranges.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#9 Ice Man

Ice Man

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:20 AM

If I was forced to take one or the other I would take Brodeur even if they were the same age.

You can't compare them as has been suggested by others in this thread.

Devils can win the cup without Stevens but not without Brodeur.

#10 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:24 AM

The relationship between the two is part of what makes them both so great. Their priorities are in complete sinc - that coupled with their great natural talent makes them who they are.

Based on pure natural talent Brodeur has more. Based on hockey sense and hard work Stevens has the edge. Stevens can call up focus Brodeur is more losey goosey mentally. But both bring what they have on a consitant basis and are thus equally valuable to the team.
A dog has the soul of a philosopher. --Plato
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. --Mark Twain

In case you wondered... I'm Pepperkorn's dog

#11 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:35 AM

If I was forced to take one or the other I would take Brodeur even if they were the same age.

You can't compare them as has been suggested by others in this thread.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree...

While it may be going out on a limb I really think that it wasn't merely working with the Devils staff that got Brodeurs work ethic and priorities alligned -- but that he also had the example of Stevens putting the team philosophy into action in a personalized way. Stevens illustrates how you aren't sacrificing - you're succeeding. This gave Marty a huge advantage -- it gave him the ability to TRUST a system (not merely individuals spouting it) which is just absolutely key. I personally feel that it's very difficult to know if Brodeur is the same player without Stevens. Without the mindset I think Brodeur is just another mad skillz goalie who loses focus too easily.

Edited by Darwindog, 29 June 2005 - 08:39 AM.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. --Mark Twain

#12 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:37 AM

I read this thread and realize more than ever how much we need hockey to start again.
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#13 M.

M.

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:56 AM

I read this thread and realize more than ever how much we need hockey to start again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too MS- my head shaking muscles have not been getting enough of a workout without having stuff like this to read daily.
WORK SMARTER- NOT HARDER

#14 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,567 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:09 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you talking now or in the past?

This is one those nebulous statements that no one will ever know the answer. However, I don't think the Devils could have won those cups WITHOUT Stevens.

In the near future we will see if the Devils can win the cup without Stevens.

#15 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:13 AM

I think the better question is who would be the centerpiece of your new franchise and that has an easy answer, Marty.
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

"I have the libido of a 15-year-old boy. " - Megan Fox

- Proud njdevs keeper of the Boss' Sold Out banner at the CAA -

#16 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:40 AM

I think the better question is who would be the centerpiece of your new franchise and that has an easy answer, Marty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

when the answer is Marty the question is NOT the better one... :lol:

#17 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:42 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you talking now or in the past?

This is one those nebulous statements that no one will ever know the answer. However, I don't think the Devils could have won those cups WITHOUT Stevens.

In the near future we will see if the Devils can win the cup without Stevens.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And that's not even true because he's left his imprint on the team now... that (to me of course) is akin to saying without Lemaire would the Devils be the team they are today - he's been gone for ages but he left an indellable thumb print.

:unsure: anyone gonna bite? :evil:

:boogie:

Edited by Darwindog, 29 June 2005 - 09:43 AM.

#18 Ice Man

Ice Man

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:52 PM

This is easy to reply because both players are of a different age.

So let's assume they are the same for this exercise. IMO Devils don't win any cup without Marty.

PK we did see Marty play without Stevens it was the last season of hockey 2003/2004 and he played well IMO.

I am not knocking the talent of Stevens in his better days but IMO Marty brings more to the team. If we speak of today then Stevens can be left at home fog for sure, just the age difference and Stevens slow down leaves him at home. Marty is what he is regardless of who made him

PK it's unfair to use Lamaire in comparison because he was a coach the brought a system not a player. His system prevails today in one form or another.

But I agree with Rock no one will ever know.

So my answer is simple:
Today....... Marty
Yesterday...........Marty
before 95 maybe Stevens not sure.

They both have something in common besides Hockey, however. Rock knows what I am referring to.

#19 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:14 PM

ok -- you got me Ice I actually wasn't serious about the Lemaire comparison... :lol:

IMO your opinion is valid all the way around.

Edited by Darwindog, 29 June 2005 - 03:15 PM.

#20 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,567 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:14 PM

They both have something in common besides Hockey, however.  Rock knows what I am referring to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes they are both from Canada. B )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users