• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:52 AM

McKenzie: The end is in sight
http://www.tsn.ca/nh...287&hubName=nhl

TSN.ca Staff

6/30/2005 7:19:31 PM

For the first time in this tortured process, we can now measure what's left of the lockout in days as opposed to weeks or months.

Canadians can celebrate Canada Day on Friday and Americans, the small minority that actually like hockey that is, can have their Fourth of July celebration on Monday, reasonably secure in the knowledge that the long-awaited agreement is within sight.

The sense is it should be finished sometime next week, with an outside chance it could carry over into the week of July 11th, but in any case, we're talking a small number of days.

Either way, the countdown is now on, it's almost over.

But what are we counting down to?

If the agreement is reached, say, Wednesday of next week, what's going to happen? Will there be a big news conference to mark the occasion?

Probably not. Until this deal gets ratified by both sides, probably within a week or so of the agreement, there is not going to be a big dog and pony show, with Gary Bettman and Bob Goodenow putting on the goofy "Game On" hats like in 1995. Truth be told, it would be a huge surprise if you even see Bettman and Goodenow together on a dais.

The details of the new CBA will no doubt become public before the deal is ratified. They have to. General managers, agents, everyone in hockey has to figure out this new system because once it's ratified, the NHL will be open for business again and everyone will have to hit the ground running.

When the NHL commissioner, with a new CBA in hand, signed, sealed and delivered, steps up to the microphone to say the lockout is officially over, it will be more about re-launching and re-branding the NHL game than actually ending the lockout.

We shouldn't be surprised if the new NHL logo is unveiled. And 1995's slogan, Game On, will be replaced by its 2005 marketing equivalent -- "It's a whole new game."

And it will be. The myriad of new rule changes are likely to be unveiled. They could even throw in the draft lottery to make things really exciting.
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#2 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:59 AM

Samr stroy we have been reading for 3 weeks already..

FINISH THE fvckING DEAL!!!! THIS IS RIDICULUS ALREADY!!
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#3 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:24 AM

Don't shoot until you see the whites of there eyes.
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#4 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,288 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:59 AM

Samr stroy we have been reading for 3 weeks already..

FINISH THE fvckING DEAL!!!!  THIS IS RIDICULUS ALREADY!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a feeling we won't hear anything official until mid-July. They better get it done this time!

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#5 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:13 AM

Anything before 2007 is early in my books... I thought Bob was going to put up more of a fight.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#6 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:22 AM

Anything before 2007 is early in my books... I thought Bob was going to put up more of a fight.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think his wife got tired of having him home. She told him, "You aren't negotiating, you aren't at Association meetings and there isn't a season so you don't have games to go to. You're under foot all the time and making a mess. Settle or I'll divorce you!!!"

Or maybe not. Just a theory. :noclue:
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#7 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:32 AM

to me everyday it does not get done there's more chance that something will go wrong...

I get the feeling the seaosn is not starting till Thanksgiving or Xmas time...
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#8 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:38 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/st.../NHL050701.html

Now don't anyone get excited like in February.

#9 Ice Man

Ice Man

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:04 PM

Well said! Every day that goes by is a possible problem with getting the issues resolved for a normal start of the 2005/2006 season.

There are enough words printed lately suggecting that some player like the idea of holding out. This may be planned leaks. No one can accuse the players of not negotiating but accepting is another issue. What strategy will win out is to be determined.

#10 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:41 PM

[quote name='thefiestygoat' date='Jul 1 2005, 10:59 AM'][quote name='Darth redruM' date='Jul 1 2005, 10:59 AM']Samr stroy we have been reading for 3 weeks already..

FINISH THE fvckING DEAL!!!!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#11 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,793 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:40 PM

They have time to get it right. That is the key, not when they sign it, but getting a document that both sides agree on.

I think we will see an agreement in the next few weeks. And quite frankly, I think we'll see it because the players love to play professional hockey too much.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#12 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:01 PM

July 15th most likely. When it's done, Fischler won't have anything to write about!

P.S. Some rule changes are coming including the elimination of the red line allowing two line passes. A followup article:

http://sports.yahoo....night&type=lgns

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#13 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:21 PM

July 15th most likely. When it's done, Fischler won't have anything to write about!

Oh, I think Stan will have PLENTY to write about as soon as this thing gets signed. He's been rewriting the same article for a year now... basically because nothing has happened in a year.

But as soon as this thing is signed, there is going to be so much going on there won't be enough room in the newspapers to print it all.

-=-=-=-=

I can deal with the removal of the red line better than I can shoot-outs.

#14 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,793 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:32 PM

Removing the red-line is a terrible idea. NHL teams are far too defense-oriented to let players cherry-pick, so defensemen will be far less inclined to pinch and will watch floaters.

We're going to get more home run passes going for icing and less offensive zone pressure. Hooray.

I hope if this does come true, the NHL will have the ability to change back if it is the failure I think it will be.

#15 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:55 PM

I love this change. The home run pass will lead to more odd man rushes and it will generate more excitement.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#16 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:18 PM

Removing the red-line is a terrible idea.  NHL teams are far too defense-oriented to let players cherry-pick, so defensemen will be far less inclined to pinch and will watch floaters. 

We're going to get more home run passes going for icing and less offensive zone pressure.  Hooray.

I completely agree. I've noticed BOTH those things in games I've seen without the red line. Especially the 2004 women's championship... there was always someone floating out at centre. Tell me that a Bure type wouldn't do that in the NHL? They sit out on the red line now... so they will float out at the other teams blue line next season.

And those home run passes almost never work. They either are cut off or go for icing. They work only once in a blue moon. Now, others have said that even though the home run passes haven't worked at the junior level or at minor level, none of these leagues have the passers of the NHL, so they believe that the long pass will have a greater success rate at the NHL level. I seriously doubt it.

HOWEVER, the games I've watched with no red line have not been DESTROYED by it's removal. It's not a whole different brand of hockey. Which is good for the traditionalist, bad for the execs that think this is going to be the savior of the game.

I think the shoot-out is more extreme simply because with or without the red line, it's still 5 skaters against 5 skaters - it's HOCKEY. A shootout is not hockey and has no place in deciding games.

Edited by Don, 01 July 2005 - 09:18 PM.

#17 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,793 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:27 PM

Defense is better in the NHL than anywhere else, Derek. You're just not going to see guys get free from defenders to be able to take advantage of the lack of a two-line pass. But you are going to see a lot of missed passes and a lot of passes cut off.

And, you'll see a lot less defenders pinching in.

So we'll get more neutral zone play, and that's what the league wants. Maybe there will be one more odd-man rush per game. Maybe.

#18 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 12:54 AM

Honestly Tri, I think the positive outweighs the negative. I am so sick and tired of this DEFENSIVE CRAP. Hockey used to be about teams on the attack. With this rule, it allows quicker transitions up the ice.

It puts extra pressure on defensemen. Not every D-men skates like Niedermayer and can recover.

And you're forgetting the emphasis on obstruction. Defensemen won't be able to recover by grabbing guys and hauling them down. I think you'll see more passing lanes open up and more penalties called.

Yes, there will be some icings. But there are plenty of skilled defensemen who can benefit from the two-line pass. Your team has one in Rafalski. Leetch is great at it. So is Zubov. Those types of players will be able to connect on more outlet passes springing breakaways and two-on-ones.

Not everyone of those passes will work and not every single one that doesn't will result in icing. If teams play the lane, they can come the other way and counter.

Faster transition up and down the ice will make the game more compelling. Funny. But that's what I remember as being HOCKEY a decade ago.

#19 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 04:04 PM

I think I should re-explain my statement so people understand where I'm coming from.

I feel some of the rule changes the NHL will be implementing will open up the game more, which should in turn lead to more scoring chances and more offense. I'm not expecting it to be a huge difference in terms of the average goals/game. But I do think there will be a hike in scoring.

And with the more open ice due to these rule changes, it should be a more compelling game to watch. If you take out the red line and allow two-line passes, that puts extra pressure on defensemen to get back. Combine that with tighter enforcement of obstruction and the tag-up rule and that will put even more stress on team defenses. You'll have more attacking players able to get back in the zone and apply forecheck pressure after pucks are shot back in. This will lead to less time for defensemen to setup. Which is why I believe there will be a better transition game in both ends and less play in the neutral zone.

I understand what you're saying Tri in regards to defenses being better in the NHL. But with these new rules enforced, cleaner defense will have to be played in order to prevent skilled players from utilizing their speed to break in. That means no more grabbing or tugging. It means guys will have to be in perfect body position to deny a scorer. This should lead to more room, which is why I believe these rule changes will be positive for the game.

I also believe that with ties no longer part of the equation, you're going to see more teams play to win in regulation. Especially if some of these teams aren't cut out for shootouts, where extra points are going to be decided if they're not in OT.

Defense is essential to win, which is true. But without scoring, you can't win.

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify my position so it was not misinterpretted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users