8 replies to this topic

#1 devspage

devspage

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 06:16 PM

Crud, another one of my fave Yankees out.

Last year I was on Yankee sabbatical as Tino moved on. I don't think I'll boycott this year, but I really did like Shane Spencer. I hope he goes somewhere good and not somewhere I hate.
---
The Post dispelling myths???!! (First time for everything.)

Elias says he doesn't wonder why the A-Line was broken up and his linemates were traded. "What good would it do for me?" he asked.

#2 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 06:28 PM

I sure do miss the days when players stayed pretty much with one team. Those were real *teams*, and it's hard to feel that way about teams anymore. I loved the '70s Cowboys and could name off every starter, & probably all the back-ups. I could only name 2 or 3 of them these days, and I don't care.

I've always been a Texas Ranger fan (I know, I know) but baseball's been a revolving door for 10+ years now. You never know who's going to be there from one year to the next. And management isn't even trying to re-sign Pudge, who showed great loyalty to this club the last time his free agency came around. The fans all love him, but that means nothing anymore.

:(
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 devspage

devspage

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 07:48 PM

I was the regular writer in Port Charlotte when many of the Rangers crop came through there.
Pudge was sooooo young, then. It's so bizarre to hear stuff about him now. Going to Japan seems so wrong. It's amazing that no one wants to take the chance on him and that he's even considering that.
---

Elias says he doesn't wonder why the A-Line was broken up and his linemates were traded. "What good would it do for me?" he asked.

#4 NJayDevil

NJayDevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 11:43 PM

Well after signing "Godzilla", they needed to get rid of 1 outfielder...and it sure as hell wasn't going to be Bernie.

Anywho, I liked Shaney as well. I REALLY liked Tino and was sad when he wasn't sign but Giambi is a fine replacement.

THEY NEED ANOTHER PITCHER THO!! Sucks that Glavine went to the Mets and Maddux is going to stay with the Braves.
Official Keeper of Little G
New Jersey Devils|3|New York Yankees|27|New York Giants|3|Penn State|4|
"They are the loudest and most loyal students in the country. They call this place Happy Valley?
That's an understatement tonight. This is definitely the best place on Earth. I have seen Paternoville,
I have seen these students...there is nothing like this in the country."

-ESPN College Gameday
"We cannot rank Penn State University against other schools
in the party school category because we feel it is unfair to
rank professionals against amateurs."

-Playboy Magazine
"You're driving along with nothing and then it's like
cow... cow... cow... 20,000 hot chicks!
That's Penn State."

-Jon Stewart

#5 devspage

devspage

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 11:58 PM

I don't think Giambi is a fine replacement at all.

The Yankees paid WAYYYY too much for him. Got even less out of it in the postseason and lost a clubhouse leader, standup guy and proven playoff performer to boot. Way to reward the guy who worked hard for you and kept the series going last year with what I think will be my most memorable HR ever.

It's tough being a Yankee fan in the buying spree times. The players I like have always... and will always be the talent they nurture (who then does deserve their money) Jeter, Williams, Soriano and the journeyman guys like Paulie and Tino. That's who keeps me around, not Jason freakin' Giambi.
---

#6 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 02:27 AM

I liked Shane also. It's too bad he had to go. I hope he finds success somewhere else.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#7 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 10:10 AM

I was the regular writer in Port Charlotte when many of the Rangers crop came through there.Pudge was sooooo young, then.

How cool! Did you cover Spring Training or their minor league team, or both? Pudge was only 19 when he came up to the majors. Got married in the afternoon and started for the Rangers that night. I remember that game and how young he was and what an incredible arm he had!

It's so bizarre to hear stuff about him now. Going to Japan seems so wrong. It's amazing that no one wants to take the chance on him and that he's even considering that.

It would be so sad, and so wrong for someone like him to have to go to Japan to continue his career. But I guess his desire to play is so strong that he's willing to do anything. Somebody please sign Pudge!
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#8 Elias Sports Bureau

Elias Sports Bureau

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 11:51 AM

I covered spring training for the Cardinals -- one year was the year after he broke the HR record and that was a freakin' circus!

And I covered the Rangers minor league team when I was out there. But like I say, all the guys that were on that team have pretty much worked their way to the majors.
I remember him getting married and starting too. :)
I was a big Rusty Greer supporter back when he was with them, so I hope his career isn't over. But with all those surgeries, it don't look too good.
Keeper of Patrik Elias, Alexander Mogilny and njdevs.com Keepers

"We've let the fans down. People pay good money and they've always had pride in the Devils." -- Scott Gomez

#9 Elias Sports Bureau

Elias Sports Bureau

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 11:52 AM

I liked Shane also. It's too bad he had to go. I hope he finds success somewhere else.

Me too. Maybe he can go keep Tino company in St. Louis. It would be easier to have my old favorites in one place. Or with the Phillies who look like they mean business this year. ;)
Keeper of Patrik Elias, Alexander Mogilny and njdevs.com Keepers

"We've let the fans down. People pay good money and they've always had pride in the Devils." -- Scott Gomez

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users