448 replies to this topic

#341 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:21 PM

And when there's no season and no playoffs, you just give the picks to the Panthers and Bruins because, well, we knew they were going to suck, right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well bruins haven't constantly sucked, regular season wise, and their position is deserved. But look at say the panthers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yep, good job on that deduction.

What was the point of the draft lottery remind me? I don't mean this one i mean ever since it was created? Was it not to help out teams down on their luck? Through this idea teams like the san jose sharks improved for 6 straight seasons. The devils no doubt improved through the draft lottery. The wings were able to build from it. So to summarize was the point not to help out teams down on their luck?

My point through all of this was that not only was THIS draft lottery was set up in a stupid way, but that certain teams that would otherwise have been rewarded for the draft got majorly screwed.

I was rather happy that the rags got a crap selection, but that doesn't take away from the fact they got screwed, and they should be mad

What if the devils lost Brodeur through some f'd up mess you'd be pissed. Regardless of the circumstance you'd be pissed. The rags fans and panthers fans and other teams who got screwed over in this lottery, whether warranted or not, are going to be pissed.
Posted Image

Hahahaha...long overdue. Now they need to get rid of Jacobs.

The problem is, NJ only plays them 4 times a year. We were only able to get them to trade JT and fire the idiot GM. If we played them 8 times a year, maybe Jacobs might have an epiphany and sell the team.

#342 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:22 PM

No team shoudl be so far behind the 8 ball they MUST have a Sidney Crosby gift wrapped and delivered on their doorstep.

I dont think the Pens really rigged the thing-- but he certannly is sitting at the popular lunch table as it were. I mean that's fishy to me. The Hockey powers that be wouldnt' gift him to creeps like the Rangers... tehy're like -- the loadies of the NHL!
A dog has the soul of a philosopher. --Plato
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. --Mark Twain

In case you wondered... I'm Pepperkorn's dog

#343 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,545 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:22 PM

The funniest thing about all of this?  I havent really carried on whining about my OWN teams positioning?  Im just disappointed that they didnt get in the Top 10 thats all....

But again Ill state it again, I know FULL well most opinions would MOST DEFINATELY would have been different if the Devils were in the Rangers position, no que$tion$ asked!!!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And those opinions would have been wrong, and there would've been people on the board saying that. That's why I stay here.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#344 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,545 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:24 PM

Panthers fans and Rangers fans suffered through the same difficult season we Devils fans did. It was a tough season for most teams because somehow no team managed to win a game.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#345 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,977 posts

Ever since i heard the format, my main complaint has been just that the format.

Personally i think all the teams that made the playoffs each of the last 3 seasons should have been expelled. That would have kicked out my bruins, and i wouldn't have complained at all.

And then they work some sort of ball system based around that. Like 5 balls each, one ball for each playoff apperance. And then 1 for each overall selection. and go on doing certain stuff like that.

The one thing i was angered about was that the panthers got 1 ball, because they HAD 2 first overall picks. I mean they traded both of them anyways...but meh.

past is past.
Posted Image

The problem is, NJ only plays them 4 times a year. We were only able to get them to trade JT and fire the idiot GM. If we played them 8 times a year, maybe Jacobs might have an epiphany and sell the team.

#346 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,972 posts

And when there's no season and no playoffs, you just give the picks to the Panthers and Bruins because, well, we knew they were going to suck, right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well bruins haven't constantly sucked, regular season wise, and their position is deserved. But look at say the panthers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yep, good job on that deduction.

What was the point of the draft lottery remind me? I don't mean this one i mean ever since it was created? Was it not to help out teams down on their luck? Through this idea teams like the san jose sharks improved for 6 straight seasons. The devils no doubt improved through the draft lottery. The wings were able to build from it. So to summarize was the point not to help out teams down on their luck?

My point through all of this was that not only was THIS draft lottery was set up in a stupid way, but that certain teams that would otherwise have been rewarded for the draft got majorly screwed.

I was rather happy that the rags got a crap selection, but that doesn't take away from the fact they got screwed, and they should be mad

What if the devils lost Brodeur through some f'd up mess you'd be pissed. Regardless of the circumstance you'd be pissed. The rags fans and panthers fans and other teams who got screwed over in this lottery, whether warranted or not, are going to be pissed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats completely different, we drafted Broduer and hes ours these teams have no entitled right to crosby

#347 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:25 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:doh1:

:argh: I can't even take it. Grow up! NO ONE DESERVED to win here. NO ONE EARNED Crosby except whoever got the stupid lottery pick. GET OVER IT! Dont even BITCH about the system because the only way to have a FAIR draft then is to play a season and leave the kid to rott.

:argh:
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. --Mark Twain

#348 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:26 PM

blah, nobody is getting it outside of LOTCB. this is frustrating.
Posted Image

#349 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Ever since i heard the format, my main complaint has been just that the format.

Personally i think all the teams that made the playoffs each of the last 3 seasons should have been expelled. That would have kicked out my bruins, and i wouldn't have complained at all.

And then they work some sort of ball system based around that. Like 5 balls each, one ball for each playoff apperance. And then 1 for each overall selection. and go on doing certain stuff like that.

The one thing i was angered about was that the panthers got 1 ball, because they HAD 2 first overall picks. I mean they traded both of them anyways...but meh.

past is past.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Say... :unsure: can we move this thread to the Politics forum OH GAD this kid is killing me here! :argh:

#350 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,699 posts

Whew...was that a lot to read :blink: As for the RanJuhs...it is karma...payback for all the crap they have done to screw up the game with their outrageous salaries...you know like the crap with Sakic and the crap with Holik...what goes around comes around...time for them to deal with the foolishness of their actions...seems pretty simple to me :)

Need to digest the rule changes...will take some getting used to...only really like the one they brought back.
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#351 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,977 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:argh: I can't even take it. Grow up! NO ONE DESERVED to win here. NO ONE EARNED Crosby except whoever got the stupid lottery pick. GET OVER IT! Dont even BITCH about the system because the only way to have a FAIR draft then is to play a season and leave the kid to rott.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BECAUSE THERE WAS NO SEASON WE SHOULD BASE IT ON PREVIOUS SEASONS YES OR NO?
Posted Image

#352 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:27 PM

Looks like I didn't miss much. Well, I am not going to curse. What's the point?

It has become painfully obvious that the people running the game have no clue what they're doing. And this has nothing to do with Sidney Crosby winding up in Pittsburgh. To be honest, I'm glad he wound up there cause that will give the conspiracy theorists something else to cry about. Fact is Pittsburgh was one of four teams with the best chance at landing the kid. So, the fact that it didn't somehow go to Anaheim was a saving grace. If it had, you may as well have renamed the NHL the MML (Mickey Mouse League).

It's amazing that this great weighted lottery system could somehow put Buffalo out of the top 10, the Rangers 16th behind the Islanders. Columbus was in the top five. Somehow, the Canadiens are in the top six. But here is where I am completely lost. How the hell are the Ottawa Senators in the top 10? Even Vancouver at nine is a joke. But for our Canadian poster who is a diehard fan, go ahead and defend where those teams wound up as opposed to the Edmonton Oilers. Try to explain why a team like Edmonton isn't in the top 10 while successful franchises from your country are. There's just no logic.

I'm not upset about not getting Crosby. I NEVER felt the Rangers would win because they have the worst luck. And once I saw the joke of the system (3 balls to 2 and 1 oh wow), I knew they would get screwed. But somehow, even when they changed to a live drawing, you still had the conspiracy theorists out there whining like little girls that if the Rangers wound up with him, it was fixed. They somehow were linked with Detroit. Nevermind the fact one team had missed the playoffs seven straight years and had 2 more chances compared to an elite team who had been an NHL powerhouse for the past decade. But somehow, the Devils weren't included. Neither was the Avalanche. Neither were the Senators. Neither was the Flyers. The Leafs were included by a few posters. Now, correct me if I'm wrong. But if Crosby had wound up on one of these NHL successful franchises, how can the league call that fair? That would have been more of a FIX!

You know what I was hoping for. Just to see the Rangers in the top five. Then, I wouldn't have had any issue with the process. The four worst teams all should have been more protected so that they didn't drop down that far. That's now what the geniuses in New York and Toronto decided.

I'll add one thought regarding the Pens landing Crosby. Despite having a new CBA which should be more management friendly, that franchise was not guaranteed of staying in Pittsburgh. By landing the wiz kid, at least they now have a chance to survive. But if that city doesn't build a new arena for their team like they did with the Pirates and Steelers, then they don't deserve to have a team.

And if you looked a little closer at the Pens roster, they are so far underneath the cap that they will be able to sign guys in August. You add a Crosby to a Malkin and a nice vet core like Lemieux and Recchi and then throw in a Kovalev, Straka or dare I say Niedermayer, all of a sudden, this once down franchise will shoot right back up and be a power for years. That's the position their now in. Great for them and for Penguin supporters. They really needed it.

As far as the NHL rules, I know just from some that were passed that many fans here will be pissed off and for good reason. I'm not going to get into some of the dumb rules the league has decided to pass that will turn the sport into more of a mockery. You are big fans of the best goalie in the game and I can only imagine what's been said regarding that new rule. Well, my team drafted a goalie just like him over a year ago. So, that rule stinks big time. And it would for any team who has a netminder with those kind of skills.

Bottom line with the new rules is the league DOES NOT CARE about us. They screwed us royally. They basically turned their back on the loyal NHL fans. They never cared about sanity. Tradition didn't have much say. As long as they could have some new gimmicks and gadgets, they could be just like any other sport. Which is why the people running the league have zero clue about what made this sport so special.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't know if I ever will feel the same about the sport. I spoke to an Oilers fan today. Diehard. When I mentioned the settlement and the lottery, they didn't care as much. Said it was a bad deal. Imagine that. Said they didn't miss the sport as much. This is about as diehard a fan as I know. To hear the lack of passion in their voice today while I was on break was disheartening. But it also was a harsh reality about what a year away has done.

So, the game will comeback on October 5th and they'll try to push their "new improved product." It won't ever be the same again.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#353 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:28 PM

Who knows what teams will suck or not suck this season? With the salary cap a lot of perenial sucks will have cap room to aquire a lot of cheap talent, should some of those teams also have been guarenteed great draft picks? Seems a lot of top teams were already penalized with the cap and have to give up players, and then people want to give them poor draft position twice based on one season? please.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#354 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

NO YOU aren't getting it -- why do you think teams deserve special treatment? Because they SUCK? Because you want to level the playign feild? That's sh!t and poor sportsmanship and a loser mentality! I have ZERO patience for it.

#355 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

I've changed my mind. LOTCB has made me see the light. However, I think that the lottery should have been ranked, not on where they finished two years ago, but rather on a larger scheme of things. I think it should have been ranked by when they last won the Stanley Cup. Team that joined since expansion but have yet to win a cup would be started at the year that they joined the league. That way longest suffering team would be granted Crosby to help end their drought. I think that only fair.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#356 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, those teams already got rewarded with a good draft position once and thats all you get for one season.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#357 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:29 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NOOOOO!

ENNN OHHHH

NO

NO NO NO NO

DO YOU GET IT NOW?

#358 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,972 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THEY DID AND THE sh!tTY TEAMS HAD A BETTER CHANCE IN A LOTTERY AND THEY DIDNT GET A HIGHER PICK TOUGH sh!t

#359 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,977 posts

This is why i like derek. Explains everything in a neat little package.

I'm done with posting in this thread
Posted Image

#360 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:30 PM

Instead of doing it by poorest record we should rank it by which teams were most fiscally responsible as they were least responsible for the lockout.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users