448 replies to this topic

#361 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:31 PM

You base it off of the fact that there was NO SEASON whatsoever! Forget about 2004, it's DONE now! Had there been a season, who knows what would have happened...maybe the Bruins win the Cup, maybe the Devils miss the playoffs. Maybe the Rangers do well enough to just miss the playoffs (but don't finish poorly in the standings). Maybe NONE of that happens and in reality the Avs win the Cup, the Rangers suck awfully, and the Bruins choke again. Point is though, you don't know what could have happened so you have to give EVERY team a shot! And where does the previous seasons factor in -- where certain teams get a slightly better shot than the rest. What more do you want?! Sidney handed to you on a silver platter?! COME ON!

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#362 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:32 PM

Does everyone forget it's a snake draft? And that there is more than one round to an NHL draft? Everyone crying about who finished where in the lottery selection forgets: It's JUST A DRAFT, YOU'RE NOT GUARANTEED ANYTHING. Top 5 picks are much more likely to become NHL players, and to become superstars, but THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#363 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,971 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:34 PM

You base it off of the fact that there was NO SEASON whatsoever! Forget about 2004, it's DONE now! Had there been a season, who knows what would have happened...maybe the Bruins win the Cup, maybe the Devils miss the playoffs. Maybe the Rangers do well enough to just miss the playoffs (but don't finish poorly in the standings). Maybe NONE of that happens and in reality the Avs win the Cup, the Rangers suck awfully, and the Bruins choke again. Point is though, you don't know what could have happened so you have to give EVERY team a shot! And where does the previous seasons factor in -- where certain teams get a slightly better shot than the rest. What more do you want?! Sidney handed to you on a silver platter?! COME ON!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

EXACTLY!!!

#364 LüZZo

LüZZo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:35 PM

Instead of doing it by poorest record we should rank it by which teams were most fiscally responsible as they were least responsible for the lockout.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

B )
Posted Image

#365 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:37 PM

one last thing....i never wanted the bruins to get crosby. It would have been nice, but i never cared for him much.

Of the 4 main teams i truely am a fan of, bruins, panthers, thrashers, and preds. I didn't care if any of them got crosby. (i follow the flyers, canucks, and some other teams really closely but i'm not really a fan)

I was never angry about not getting crosby.
Posted Image

Hahahaha...long overdue. Now they need to get rid of Jacobs.

The problem is, NJ only plays them 4 times a year. We were only able to get them to trade JT and fire the idiot GM. If we played them 8 times a year, maybe Jacobs might have an epiphany and sell the team.

#366 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,971 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:40 PM

one last thing....i never wanted the bruins to get crosby. It would have been nice, but i never cared for him much.

Of the 4 main teams i truely am a fan of, bruins, panthers, thrashers, and preds. I didn't care if any of them got crosby. (i follow the flyers, canucks, and some other teams really closely but i'm not really a fan)

I was never angry about not getting crosby.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Plus you know it makes a lot of sense being a fan of 4 teams, especially 2 that play in the same division.

Edited by Satans Child, 22 July 2005 - 05:41 PM.

#367 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:40 PM

Bottom line with the new rules is the league DOES NOT CARE about us. They screwed us royally. They basically turned their back on the loyal NHL fans. They never cared about sanity. Tradition didn't have much say. As long as they could have some new gimmicks and gadgets, they could be just like any other sport. Which is why the people running the league have zero clue about what made this sport so special.

Yer gone too. Look. It's f'n simple. If you hate the NHL WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ON A BOARD DEDICATED TO AN NHL TEAM?!?!? GO WATCH BASEBALL, OR FOOTBALL, OR TENNIS.... WHY COME HERE TO SPIT ON THE SPORT AS MUCH AS 7 EVER DID?

As for that Oilers fan, maybe he can explain why Calgary is about to set the record for most season tickets sold?

As for why Calgary picks so low and Ottawa picks so high, maybe, just maybe it's because of what 100 people have said already and you have trouble getting through that thick skull of yours is because THIS IS A LOTTERY (ONE THAT ALL TEAMS AGREED TO) BECAUSE THERE WAS NO SEASON TO BASE THE RANKINGS ON!!!!

Edited by Don, 22 July 2005 - 05:44 PM.

"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#368 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:43 PM

Sidenote: This thread is destined for HOF.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#369 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,971 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:44 PM

Sidenote: This thread is destined for HOF.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no doubt about that

#370 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:47 PM

Bettman was right. He basically said a lot of people weren't going to be happy about the lottery either way... that it wasn't even enough, or that it wasn't biased enough towards weaker teams.
Posted Image

#371 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:51 PM

Bettman was right. He basically said a lot of people weren't going to be happy about the lottery either way... that it wasn't even enough, or that it wasn't biased enough towards weaker teams.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoa, hold on a second. This is a HOCKEY message board. Bettman can't ever be right about anything ever.

#372 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,971 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:52 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoa, hold on a second. This is a HOCKEY message board. Bettman can't ever be right about anything ever.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl:

#373 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,699 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:52 PM

Derek...you are correct...by time current and future rules changes get employed, no one will have a clue what the sport really was...I sure miss hockey of the 60's and 70's...it had sportsmanship and the rules were sacred...some of the rule changes are gimmicks, like 4 on 4 OT or give team that goes to OT a point and then say nope, no good...let's go back to win or lose...whatever happened to ties...this crap of win or lose is just ridiculous.

Do not believe that if you don't care much for the constant changes translates to you hate the game...there are a lot of people that aren't happy...some are happy as a pigs in poop if it brings the game back...feeling as you do just means you lean more to the thinking of a purist and that is not a bad thing :D
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#374 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,987 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:09 PM

Looks like I didn't miss much. Well, I am not going to curse. What's the point?

It has become painfully obvious that the people running the game have no clue what they're doing. And this has nothing to do with Sidney Crosby winding up in Pittsburgh. To be honest, I'm glad he wound up there cause that will give the conspiracy theorists something else to cry about. Fact is Pittsburgh was one of four teams with the best chance at landing the kid. So, the fact that it didn't somehow go to Anaheim was a saving grace. If it had, you may as well have renamed the NHL the MML (Mickey Mouse League).

It's amazing that this great weighted lottery system could somehow put Buffalo out of the top 10, the Rangers 16th behind the Islanders. Columbus was in the top five. Somehow, the Canadiens are in the top six. But here is where I am completely lost. How the hell are the Ottawa Senators in the top 10? Even Vancouver at nine is a joke. But for our Canadian poster who is a diehard fan, go ahead and defend where those teams wound up as opposed to the Edmonton Oilers. Try to explain why a team like Edmonton isn't in the top 10 while successful franchises from your country are. There's just no logic.

I'm not upset about not getting Crosby. I NEVER felt the Rangers would win because they have the worst luck. And once I saw the joke of the system (3 balls to 2 and 1 oh wow), I knew they would get screwed. But somehow, even when they changed to a live drawing, you still had the conspiracy theorists out there whining like little girls that if the Rangers wound up with him, it was fixed. They somehow were linked with Detroit. Nevermind the fact one team had missed the playoffs seven straight years and had 2 more chances compared to an elite team who had been an NHL powerhouse for the past decade. But somehow, the Devils weren't included. Neither was the Avalanche. Neither were the Senators. Neither was the Flyers. The Leafs were included by a few posters. Now, correct me if I'm wrong. But if Crosby had wound up on one of these NHL successful franchises, how can the league call that fair? That would have been more of a FIX!

You know what I was hoping for. Just to see the Rangers in the top five. Then, I wouldn't have had any issue with the process. The four worst teams all should have been more protected so that they didn't drop down that far. That's now what the geniuses in New York and Toronto decided.

I'll add one thought regarding the Pens landing Crosby. Despite having a new CBA which should be more management friendly, that franchise was not guaranteed of staying in Pittsburgh. By landing the wiz kid, at least they now have a chance to survive. But if that city doesn't build a new arena for their team like they did with the Pirates and Steelers, then they don't deserve to have a team.

And if you looked a little closer at the Pens roster, they are so far underneath the cap that they will be able to sign guys in August. You add a Crosby to a Malkin and a nice vet core like Lemieux and Recchi and then throw in a Kovalev, Straka or dare I say Niedermayer, all of a sudden, this once down franchise will shoot right back up and be a power for years. That's the position their now in. Great for them and for Penguin supporters. They really needed it.

As far as the NHL rules, I know just from some that were passed that many fans here will be pissed off and for good reason. I'm not going to get into some of the dumb rules the league has decided to pass that will turn the sport into more of a mockery. You are big fans of the best goalie in the game and I can only imagine what's been said regarding that new rule. Well, my team drafted a goalie just like him over a year ago. So, that rule stinks big time. And it would for any team who has a netminder with those kind of skills.

Bottom line with the new rules is the league DOES NOT CARE about us. They screwed us royally. They basically turned their back on the loyal NHL fans. They never cared about sanity. Tradition didn't have much say. As long as they could have some new gimmicks and gadgets, they could be just like any other sport. Which is why the people running the league have zero clue about what made this sport so special.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't know if I ever will feel the same about the sport. I spoke to an Oilers fan today. Diehard. When I mentioned the settlement and the lottery, they didn't care as much. Said it was a bad deal. Imagine that. Said they didn't miss the sport as much. This is about as diehard a fan as I know. To hear the lack of passion in their voice today while I was on break was disheartening. But it also was a harsh reality about what a year away has done.

So, the game will comeback on October 5th and they'll try to push their "new improved product." It won't ever be the same again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

good post derek, try to ignore Don and his constant personal attacks

perhaps they could've weighted it more in favor of teams that didn't make the playoffs over the past few years, or guaranteed them spots in the top 15 at least, but that way there was as good a chance he'd waste his career in Nashville or Atlanta as coming to the Rangers. This system gave the Rangers a better shot, but still kept teams like the Avalanch, Wings, and Leafs still in it.

agree on the league spitting on its true fans. I won't come back as a paying customer for some time, mainly because the price/entertainment value doesn't add up, and the sport needs to be punished for the lockout. The NHL is now trying to tell its fans what we like. Shootouts, no goalie puckhandling, no touch icing, they're trying to do all the thinking for us!
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#375 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:10 PM

If the bruins would have really played the way they are capable of each of the past 3 season in the playoffs we should have won at least won cup. But we didn't we choked every year.

:rofl:

The Bruins were capable of winning the Cup within the last three years? That's it, I'm convinced chocolate isn't the only thing wafting through the air in Hershey today. :wacko:

blah, nobody is getting it outside of LOTCB. this is frustrating.

No, nobody agrees with you outside of LOTCB (and Derek, it looks like). Big difference.

I've changed my mind. LOTCB has made me see the light. However, I think that the lottery should have been ranked, not on where they finished two years ago, but rather on a larger scheme of things. I think it should have been ranked by when they last won the Stanley Cup. Team that joined since expansion but have yet to win a cup would be started at the year that they joined the league. That way longest suffering team would be granted Crosby to help end their drought. I think that only fair.

Ein minuten bitte...

You bastard! :puke: :evil:

Yer gone too. Look. It's f'n simple. If you hate the NHL WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ON A BOARD DEDICATED TO AN NHL TEAM?!?!? GO WATCH BASEBALL, OR FOOTBALL, OR TENNIS.... WHY COME HERE TO SPIT ON THE SPORT AS MUCH AS 7 EVER DID?

Chill out, Don, you're getting a bit too extreme here. You have to like every single thing Bettman's trotted out this week or else you hate hockey? You think that since the NHL's back, it's all gravy? Come on, you know better than that. If this was any other year, you'd probably be bashing at least one of the rule changes as well.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#376 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:16 PM

Yeah. There were no important rule changes in the 60s or 70s.

Like setting the number of players at 16.
Like making penalty shots to be taken by the person the infraction was against.
Like not allowing body contact on face-offs.
Like requiring teams to have back-up goaltenders.
Limiting the curvature of the blade of the hockey stick and the width of the stick.
Substitution allowed on coincidental majors (play 5 on 5).

I can list many more if you want. That's just a sample.

The 4-on-4 and shootouts and the points that go with them are gimicks, but if the game is settled in 60 minutes we don't get to the gimmicks.

I, like Lou, am a traditionalist and would prefer to do away with the trapazoid behind the net and all of the OT gimmicks, But I, like Lou, am willing to look past the imperfections and see that this is still the best game on earth in the league with the best players on earth. I love the game and the league and it pisses me off to see so many willfully try their best to tear it down.

#377 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:20 PM

BLAH
this isn't on topic but meh.
01-02
We had such a solid lineup this year. Finishing first in the eastern conference was hardly a fluke. Thornton was a top 5 scorer most of the year till he got injured. Murray had 40 goals, Guerin had 40 goals. Samsonov was healthy and was on the verge of 30 goals at 29 and he had 70 points. Stumpel was great at center for us that year. Rolston had his best year in his entire career. 30 goals and 9 shorthanded goals was it? 60 points overall or something. Lapointe kinda did something he almost got 20 goals. Axelsson was doing his thing and so forth. Overall at forward we had an outstanding well rounded group. We had 2 solid lines and a great checking line.
Defensively it was nothing spectacular, but sufficient considering what we had.
In net we had dafoe, who had a so so year, but certainlly had more than enough ABILITY to play up to standards.
First in the east was no fluke bottom line.
What happened? We ran into this guy named jose theodore and outside of thornton, guerin, and rolston along with a few others. Offensively and defensively nobody came to play. The fact that dafoe was awful in crucial moments didn't help. We had the ability but choked.

02-03.
ya ok maybe i was a little off here. But we did have that 19-4-something run. Offensively we were juggernauts and thorntons dominant year was no fluke either. Defensively was were we didn't have a system.

03-04.
No year were we closer to the cup than this year. We had depth at offense, a great defensive system, for the first time in a while some outstanding offense, and our defense was playing great. We were among the top 5 i think 3rd actually in points.
What happened? An injured thornton, who probably shouldn't have played, was ill used and given way too much ice time. Gonchar, while he put up points, forgot how to play defense and keep the puck in at crucial times. Our defense got lost containing kovalev. Razor was left to dry in crucial times. And suprise suprise theodore stole the show.

Maybe not 03 but in 04 and 02 we had more than legit chances for the cup.
Posted Image

The problem is, NJ only plays them 4 times a year. We were only able to get them to trade JT and fire the idiot GM. If we played them 8 times a year, maybe Jacobs might have an epiphany and sell the team.

#378 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:22 PM

Chill out, Don, you're getting a bit too extreme here.  You have to like every single thing Bettman's trotted out this week or else you hate hockey?  You think that since the NHL's back, it's all gravy?  Come on, you know better than that.  If this was any other year, you'd probably be bashing at least one of the rule changes as well.

What I said above to 'Dew. I have said earlier this afternoon, in this thread and in others that I think the trapazoid thingy behind the net is stupid. That doesn't mean that I hate the NHL. However, if I posted something that said that the league has decided to turn the sport into a mockery and that the league screwed us royally and that the league turned it's back on the fans, I think that would suggest a hatred for the league.

Edited by Don, 22 July 2005 - 06:23 PM.

#379 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:24 PM

You're insane bruins. You're looking only at your own team. In 03-04 there were five teams better than the Bruins going into the playoffs: The Leafs, Lightning, Flyers, Devils, and Senators. Had the East not loaded up on big name players, you might've been right.

And 02, they had no one on defense. You're not going to win a Stanley Cup with a defense anchored by Sean O'Donnell and Kyle McLaren.

7's not coming back and we're going to hear all about it for the next few months. He's such a liar. He'll watch every game he can and like it.

#380 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:34 PM

The leafs...were better than the bruins? wow....
The lightning? We've beaten them previously in the season, theres no reason to see why they couldn't.
Flyers? same story

outside of the leafs, who were no way in hell better than the bruins, all those teams we had the ABILITY to beat.

None of those teams were in anyway so significantly better than the bruins that we had no chance in the playoffs against them. I'm not totally sure that even the devils were better than the bruins, that year.

I don't see how we weren't contenders. 2 lines, great 3rd line, a strong defense and a great goaltender. But we choked big time.

We finished second spot in the conference, that doesn't come from having 5 teams better than you.

02, gill, mclaren, o'donnell, boynton, sweeney. Nothing spectacular but all solid defensively and capable.

First in the east, i'm sure that came from "no one on defense"

edit
people don't like to think of the bruins as contenders ever no matter where they get in the standings because they have a "cheap owner". Its simple fact, no matter what we have done in the regular season standings. Before the playoffs start, they are marked off right away. They SHOULD be marked off because they are chokers, not because they are simply not among the best out there. They have the ability, thats how they went on huge winning streaks and were a dominant regular season team. But those 2 key years 02 and 04 they didn't have the playoff heart.

Edited by bruins4777, 22 July 2005 - 06:36 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users