#421 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:25 PM

Ahh, I missed this! THIS is vintage NJDevs.com! :evil:

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#422 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:27 PM

BTW all this talk about tradition is all well and good...but sports change.  They can't remain static forever no matter how much we may want it.
I'm not saying I like all the changes, some have made my stomach turn.  But they're coming so either give them a chance and try to accept it or just walk away and don't watch.

And not for nothing but these changes aren't neccesarily set in stone, Bettman said of one of the changes (I think it was taking the red line out) that there's been a long debate about whether it would open up offense, the only way to know is to do it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't worry...I won't be watching come Oct 5th...for reasons other than can be spun here...accept or don't watch...I think it is better to accept or don't buy tickets...hmmmmm....watching is free.
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#423 njdevils783

njdevils783

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:33 PM

Crosby going to Pittsburg in no way helps the NHL the league really struck out on this one. Even as a devil fan im able to see beyond my bias and look at the bigger picture. Him ending up a Ranger/Flyer or some other big market team would have dont allot more for the game then this. God why cant you people be more open to other peoples opinions.

Oh and Derek loving your posts very well put.
Posted Image

#424 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:38 PM

Pittsburgh was a huge market in 91 and 92 and still has a nationwide following becuase of Mario Lemieux.

A 'huge market' doesn't need Sidney Crosby. Many of those teams already have star players. Pittsburgh is actually almost the perfect place for him.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#425 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:41 PM

Crosby going to Pittsburg in no way helps the NHL the league really struck out on this one.  Even as a devil fan im able to see beyond my bias and look at the bigger picture.  Him ending up a Ranger/Flyer or some other big market team would have dont allot more for the game then this. God why cant you people be more open to other peoples opinions. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Crosby on the Pens could easily help rebuild a once flourishing franchise. Him and Mario can recreate a huge market. Yeah, it would have been ideal for him to go to New York, but that's not the ONLY option available. I see this as rebuilding the league...no better place than Pittsburgh. Hell, it's even ironic.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#426 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:44 PM

And Derek is perfectly entitled to his opinion, but that doesn't mean any of us have to agree with him. He wanted more of a guarantee that teams that had done worse in the past would do better in that lottery and they had already had their guaranteed drafts. All drafts based strictly on performance in past seasons had been done already.

That doesn't mean that he is wrong. It simply means that I disagree with him and LOTCB....apparently along with a bunch of other people on this board.

And he'll get his drafts based on performance in season starting next June, and the June after that, and the June after that, when there is again a season to judge by.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#427 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:46 PM

5th most popular sport...wooohooo...like other sports don't end in ties???  Whoopie...they saw a tie...it is the end of the world...it is not sport or competition it is entertainment...how silly of me to thing differently...some people need to allow others an opinion that does not agree with theirs or the majority....I mean free will and choice still exist...correct????

The NFL has about one tie game a decade.

NBA, MLB, Golf, Tennis, Bowling, Badminton, Log Rolling, whatever....no ties.

When a team like Minnesota ties 20 times in a year, you don't find that excessive? One out of every four games they play has no winner.

You're entitled to your opinion, I never said you weren't. I just wish people would have an open mind. See how these changes work before passing judgement. Doesn't mean I think you're wrong.

#428 LZZo

LZZo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:47 PM

Pittsburgh was a huge market in 91 and 92 and still has a nationwide following becuase of Mario Lemieux. 

A 'huge market' doesn't need Sidney Crosby.  Many of those teams already have star players.  Pittsburgh is actually almost the perfect place for him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree completely.

I also think that the market thing is drastically overrated in today's day and age (with the mass media and internet). Just look at LeBron in Cleveland and the stars that are made through ESPN's highlights and 24/7 coverage across all sports.
Posted Image

#429 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:47 PM

Don't worry...I won't be watching come Oct 5th...

Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

#430 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:53 PM

When a team like Minnesota ties 20 times in a year, you don't find that excessive?  One out of every four games they play has no winner. 

You're entitled to your opinion, I never said you weren't.  I just wish people would have an open mind.  See how these changes work before passing judgement. Doesn't mean I think you're wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. Ties are stupid. In the NFL, it's deserved; the two teams have played for 75 minutes without determining a winner, in a sport where it's easy to score points. In the NHL, it's mostly because both teams ran out of time to determine a winner. I'd say 20% of ties make me feel good. The rest, there just wasn't enough game left to determine the true winner.

#431 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:05 PM

Crosby going to Pittsburg in no way helps the NHL the league really struck out on this one.  Even as a devil fan im able to see beyond my bias and look at the bigger picture.  Him ending up a Ranger/Flyer or some other big market team would have dont allot more for the game then this. God why cant you people be more open to other peoples opinions. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well put. Again, if people read my original post, I never had any issue with Crosby winding up in Pittsburgh. I think it's great for that franchise because there's no guarantee they will survive. It definitely gives them a boost and a chance to be an NHL power again.

Sue, I never asked anyone to agree with me. I had no issue with all 30 teams being given a shot at Crosby because there was no season last year. My main gripe was the same one Clown posted in a poll thread about having an issue with the lottery ball percentages for lower teams. Three balls compared to one was not that much of an advantage. I felt they should have made a better effort to protect the worst teams from dropping out of the top 10. I don't see how it's fair that teams like Buffalo and the Rangers could wind up where they did.

Does anyone honestly believe the Rangers with their current roster heading into last season would have made the postseason?

And if someone answers yes, you need to look in the mirror a few times and see if you turn into Pinnochio.

As I stated before, they weren't the only team along with Buffalo that got shafted in this process. Edmonton got royally screwed. So did Florida. I could care less if Florida had 1 lottery ball cause they had two number one's. They have made the playoffs like once in the last 5-6 years. There's something wrong with them picking 29th and Montreal picking 5th, Ottawa picking 9th and Vancouver picking 10th.

P.S. Where did Phoenix wind up? I guess they got screwed as well.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#432 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:09 PM

Well put. Again, if people read my original post, I never had any issue with Crosby winding up in Pittsburgh. I think it's great for that franchise because there's no guarantee they will survive. It definitely gives them a boost and a chance to be an NHL power again.

Sue, I never asked anyone to agree with me. I had no issue with all 30 teams being given a shot at Crosby because there was no season last year. My main gripe was the same one Clown posted in a poll thread about having an issue with the lottery ball percentages for lower teams. Three balls compared to one was not that much of an advantage. I felt they should have made a better effort to protect the worst teams from dropping out of the top 10. I don't see how it's fair that teams like Buffalo and the Rangers could wind up where they did.

Does anyone honestly believe the Rangers with their current roster heading into last season would have made the postseason?

And if someone answers yes, you need to look in the mirror a few times and see if you turn into Pinnochio.

As I stated before, they weren't the only team along with Buffalo that got shafted in this process. Edmonton got royally screwed. So did Florida. I could care less if Florida had 1 lottery ball cause they had two number one's. They have made the playoffs like once in the last 5-6 years. There's something wrong with them picking 29th and Montreal picking 5th, Ottawa picking 9th and Vancouver picking 10th.

P.S. Where did Phoenix wind up? I guess they got screwed as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For the third time in this thread: IT IS A SNAKE DRAFT. There is more than 1 round to the NHL draft, too.

#433 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:11 PM

Phoenix ended up at #17, but I don't think they got screwed too badly. Look at all the free agent acquisitions they had in the last off-season. They had a shot at making the playoffs, or at least finishing around the .500 mark.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#434 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:15 PM

5th most popular sport...wooohooo...like other sports don't end in ties??? Whoopie...they saw a tie...it is the end of the world...it is not sport or competition it is entertainment...how silly of me to thing differently...some people need to allow others an opinion that does not agree with theirs or the majority....I mean free will and choice still exist...correct????

When a team like Minnesota ties 20 times in a year, you don't find that excessive? One out of every four games they play has no winner.

You're entitled to your opinion, I never said you weren't. I just wish people would have an open mind. See how these changes work before passing judgement. Doesn't mean I think you're wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Z
It came across as if I was wrong...sorry if I misinterpretted...anyway...Minn...they get 20 ties and know why...Lemaire...they play for that stupid 1 pt and not allowing the other team an extra pt...if they were to lose that 1 pt if the other team scored on them it would be different or I would think it so.

As for changes...there have been many I have witnessed in my years...some I still don't like...for example...the size of the crease...little square front door was great...I have never liked the new crease and never will. Anyone can be disappointed. Doesn't mean they have a closed mind. I want to see the old rock 'em sock 'em hockey...I want to see the Orrs and Howes of the world... I want to see the Tiger Williams of the world...I don't want see pansy hockey and imo that is what it has become. International rules...perhaps....gimmicks....no need imo :)
Dew
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#435 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:16 PM

For the third time in this thread:  IT IS A SNAKE DRAFT.  There is more than 1 round to the NHL draft, too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know it is. But would you rather pick higher in the first round or the second?

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#436 LZZo

LZZo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:18 PM

The reality is that the teams that are being mentioned in 'screwed' category have mismanaged their assets for years. In additon they haven't drafted that well or developed/retained many of the solid selections.

I understand the sentiment that poor teams should have a greater oppurtunity to procure the top selections, but there was no season to base the order off. The NHL came up with a solid solution that allowed all teams a shot, while still weighting the proccess in favor of the less successful clubs.

Edited by LZZo, 23 July 2005 - 03:18 PM.

Posted Image

#437 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:18 PM

Don't worry...I won't be watching come Oct 5th...

Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You forgot to quote this : "for reasons other than can be spun here"
Not to worry...tho...there will be no door come Oct 5th to hit me...no TV either.
Dew
TIMEX RULES!!

#438 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:19 PM

Obviously the first, but teams aren't getting 'screwed' like you think they are. Having the 29th overall pick means having the 32nd overall pick. Pittsburgh doesn't get to pick again until #60. And for a team that also needs to rebuild a franchise with no depth, that will hurt them.

#439 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:28 PM

Speaking of snake-lottery beneficiaries, a buddy of mine brought up an excellent point -- don't forget that Anaheim got Tampa Bay's 2nd rounder in this draft in the Prospal deal from last off-season.

That means Anaheim picks #2, #31, and #59. Not a bad setup for the first two rounds.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#440 LZZo

LZZo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:32 PM

Speaking of snake-lottery beneficiaries, a buddy of mine brought up an excellent point -- don't forget that Anaheim got Tampa Bay's 2nd rounder in this draft in the Prospal deal from last off-season.

That means Anaheim picks #2, #31, and #59. Not a bad setup for the first two rounds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...and now they have Burke at the helm too.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users