448 replies to this topic

#441 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:37 PM

Derek, I was actually replying to 783, who seemed annoyed that more of us weren't agreeing with you.

And I have no idea where you would have wound up had a season been played. Remember the year Boston had 60 points, drafted Thornton & Samsonov, and made the playoffs the next year (even though Thornton did almost nothing)? It's certainly not impossible that you might have been drafting somewhere around 16th. Maybe 13th-14th if you missed the playoffs but came on at the end as the team gelled. It's NOT certain that you would have been picking in the top 10. There are definitely instances of young teams doing better than people expect them to do if they are well coached and they are working hard...even if they don't make the post season. Maybe you expect the team to tank to make sure it gets a high draft choice?

Maybe they could have done the weighting slightly better. But overall, I still don't think this was terribly done. Once you decided that playoff teams were going to participate in this you ran this risk. Otherwise, in order to get the guarantee you want, you might as well have done what the non-playoff teams wanted to do originally, pull out anyone who had been in the playoffs in the last 3 years. Which undoes all the point of saying that had been taken care of by each year's draft. You can't have it both ways. If you are going to make the chances that anyone but one of the teams you think 'should' pick in a certain spot will pick in a certain spot then why bother to do it this way at all. Do it the way the non-playoff teams wanted to do it in the first place. Throw out everyone who has had a sniff at the playoffs in the last 3 years, no matter how bad they were in any given year in that period, and keep the rest in. Then have the lottery with those teams. Then pull the rest back in and have a drawing to determine the rest of the order. Of course, that penalizes teams like Carolina and Anaheim, who sucked after their Finals appearances, but I guess under the theory here they deserve it???
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#442 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,853 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:46 PM

From reading the Flames board, they are pretty peeved. They traded their 2nd away as well, so not only do they pick late in the first, but their high second round pick doesn't make up for it.

But to their credit, they aren't peeved, like some, that their poor showing in recent years didn't give them 100 balls, but rather that they may not have made that trade if they knew it was going to be such a high 2nd round draft.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#443 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:55 PM

And they already GOT a high pick for that, you want to give them two for it?

I wanted them to be more protected from dropping to where they did. Buffalo dropped too. Can you honestly say with a straight face that it made complete sense?

And who said 'you' said they deserved to win?  I was referring more to Clown's post above and he's not a Ranger fan.  Talk about generalizations...

Some have been complaining about how Ranger fans basically felt they were entitled to Crosby. We're all like that :rolleyes:.

I think you missed Clown's point. His point was the same as mine. But of course, if anyone didn't have just positive thoughts about yesterday, it would get pissed on.

I also believe Clown realized that my team was in a lot worse shape than his. Which of course some people would never shed light on. As long as the Rangers got screwed, all was right in the world!

And I can just see if the situation were reversed how you would react. Because in your opinion, 'the NHL is out to get the Devils.' Explain the 3 Cups. Explain how your GM had more influence on what went into the new CBA than any other and had a clear advantage because of this knowledge.

I didn't think I'd have to explain this to you but Ottawa's a CANADIEN market, bigger than Pittsburgh is irrelevant in their case.  The NHL does not need to sell the game to Canada and having Crosby in Canada won't do much in terms of selling it to the US.  As for us, we're supposed to be what's wrong with the game according to the so-called experts.  You think the NHL wants Crosby going to a place that will never go out of its way to market individuals as long as Lou is here?  Plus Pittsburgh has the Lemieux factor they can at least play it up as a passing of the torch.

I don't think the NHL's dream was to have Crosby wind up in one of the most unstable places in terms of whether that franchise can survive in spite of the new agreement. They need a new arena and there's no guarantee that they're going to get it because the city of Pittsburgh hasn't given the kind of treatment they deserved compared to their baseball and football teams. Teams like Ottawa and the Devils will be playing in better venues. The Devils are getting their own new state of the art facility in Newark and play in a much larger market than Pittsburgh. And Ottawa plays in Canada as you stated. Imagine the kid playing for a Canadian franchise. In either case, there would be more media coverage/exposure than where he wound up.

:rolleyes:

Nobody's questioning your fandom but honestly there's something wrong when you or anyone is 'disheartened' after the only two good days the NHL has seen in the last year and a half.  It's like a Boston Red Sox fan complaining about Grady Little leaving in Pedro against the Yankees and moaning about 86 years of misery the day AFTER they won the World Series last year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I've stated before, it's nice to have the game back. But I don't agree with everything they did. That doesn't mean something's wrong with me. Is there something wrong when others express differing opinions?

The league's panel claimed that 'everyone wants 2 minutes of 3-on-3, shootouts along with a rule that limits goalies from utilizing all their skills.'

Even the new rule of taking out the red line to allow two-line passes not everyone agrees with. And you can't tell me everyone is in total agreement about the new point system.

The league passed these new rules without polling the real fans. Don't you think the diehards who missed hockey the most should have been included in what they decided?

They canceled a whole season. Who got screwed the most? The fans.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#444 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 04:01 PM

Obviously the first, but teams aren't getting 'screwed' like you think they are.  Having the 29th overall pick means having the 32nd overall pick.  Pittsburgh doesn't get to pick again until #60.  And for a team that also needs to rebuild a franchise with no depth, that will hurt them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you think picking 16th one round and picking 14th another is a great position to be in? :lol:

I understand that it was a crapshoot. I just wish they could have protected the worst teams from dropping more. There's nothing else I can do about it.

My team has four picks in the first 46. What I can hope for is that they will bang their heads together and package some of those to trade up into the top five or six.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#445 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 04:05 PM

Z
It came across as if I was wrong...sorry if I misinterpretted...anyway...Minn...they get 20 ties and know why...Lemaire...they play for that stupid 1 pt and not allowing the other team an extra pt...if they were to lose that 1 pt if the other team scored on them it would be different or I would think it so.

As for changes...there have been many I have witnessed in my years...some I still don't like...for example...the size of the crease...little square front door was great...I have never liked the new crease and never will.  Anyone can be disappointed.  Doesn't mean they have a closed mind.  I want to see the old rock 'em sock 'em hockey...I want to see the Orrs and Howes of the world... I want to see the Tiger Williams of the world...I don't want see pansy hockey and imo that is what it has become.  International rules...perhaps....gimmicks....no need imo :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think there's anything wrong with disagreeing with some of the changes. That's been my point all along. Not every fan is going to like every new rule.

And you've been through a lot more hockey seasons than most.

#446 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,624 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 07:42 PM

Ahh, I missed this! THIS is vintage NJDevs.com! :evil:

:wub:

Crosby going to Pittsburg in no way helps the NHL the league really struck out on this one.  Even as a devil fan im able to see beyond my bias and look at the bigger picture.  Him ending up a Ranger/Flyer or some other big market team would have dont allot more for the game then this. God why cant you people be more open to other peoples opinions.

Fixing the draft does nothing for the game except bring derision and disrespect down upon it. We've mentioned the Patrick Ewing draft a lot recently. Whether or not that was actually fixed, allegations of such continue to this day. Is that what you want Sidney Crosby's legacy to be? Do you want people to talk about how the draft was fixed so he'd end up in a major market regardless of whether they actually deserved him?

The Flyers sure as hell don't need a blue chip prospect like Crosby, not with the excellent job they've done developing prospects over the last few years. The Rangers are debatable and our biases as Devils fans would probably come into play here, so I won't say anything about that. Looking around the larger media markets in the U.S. and Canada, most of their teams don't need Crosby either. Putting the big names in the big markets right from the get-go for publicity's sake does nothing for the league's credibility. That's what free agency's for.

Derek's point that the weaker teams should have had the best chance of winning the #1 pick is certainly valid. Saying that the major markets should have had the best chance of winning the #1 pick, regardless of actual need, is hogwash.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#447 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:29 PM

wow, this is a stressed out thread....
really bringing out the worst in people...
i'm having a good day, 2 hours of playing hockey will do that, so i'm in no mood to argue.
Posted Image

Hahahaha...long overdue. Now they need to get rid of Jacobs.

The problem is, NJ only plays them 4 times a year. We were only able to get them to trade JT and fire the idiot GM. If we played them 8 times a year, maybe Jacobs might have an epiphany and sell the team.

#448 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,687 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:57 PM

[quote name='SueNJ97' date='Jul 23 2005, 04:37 PM']And I have no idea where you would have wound up had a season been played.

Edited by Hasan4978, 23 July 2005 - 09:07 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#449 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 09:26 PM

Also one player in basketball can make a hell of a lot more of a difference(playing not marketing) than one player in hockey, so i think thats another reason the nba(not saying they did) would rather fix a draft than the nhl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users