Photo

What is our current lineup and salaries?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:38 PM

the TSN list would be good - but also the new CBA so we can understand exactly what comprises "salary" for cap purposes.  For instance, I know that for multi year deals, the average of the salary over time goes against the cap, not each year's individual salary. 

Also, incentives and bonuses.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny thing about those bonuses. It looks like most of them are gone. I found this on NHL.com's CBA FAQs. I already knew the team bonus concept, which was most of NJ's bonuses, was out with this CBA. But look at this:

PERFORMANCE BONUSES

What players may earn in performance bonuses?

Performance bonuses will only be permissible for the following types of players: (1) players on entry-level contracts; (2) players signing one-year contracts after returning from long-term injuries (players with 400 or more games who spent 100 or more days on injured reserve in the last year of their most recent contract); and senior veteran players who sign a one-year contract after the age of 35.

Most players in their prime aren't allowed to have performance bonuses in their contracts. Only if you were hurt & sign a 1-year deal coming back. Otherwise it's for the very "young" and the very "old" only.

I'm not sure whether this wipes out performance bonuses in EXISTING contracts...or whether they just go away going forward.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#22 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,867 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:49 PM

Stevens qualifies for a "Performance Bonus" contract. Does that help our salary situation?
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#23 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,624 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:51 PM

We need a second goalie?

Um, yes. Options: (1) pick somebody up on the UFA market for cheap, or (2) Scott Clemmensen, in which case Ari needs to be convinced not to go home after all, and at least Lou will be able to promise the lion's share of the playing time in Albany if that happens.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#24 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:53 PM

Stevens qualifies for a "Performance Bonus" contract. Does that help our salary situation?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd say not <_< I'm sure it counts against the cap so... so amybe that's what we're sitting around waiting for for him... when everyone is all signed Lou will see if he can slip him something extra I guess.

Second guessing is such bull sh!t. Why can't I have an exciting job so I can just log off of here and be amused by something different? :angry:
A dog has the soul of a philosopher. --Plato
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. --Mark Twain

In case you wondered... I'm Pepperkorn's dog

#25 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,867 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:54 PM

Hmmm...lots of Martin's old contract must have been bonuses & not salary.  Because otherwise you don't get from $1 million to $501,600 even WITH the 24% rollback.

OK, so here we go:

Brodeur Martin $5,391,103.00
Brown Sean Qualified at $450,000.00 (guess he made minimum before so he got his raise)
Brylin Sergei $1,520,000.00
Elias Patrik Qualified at $4,180,000.00
Friesen Jeff $2,280,000.00
Gionta Brian Qualified at $570,000.00
Gomez Scott Qualified at $2,204,000.00
Kozlov Viktor Qualified at $1,748,000.00
Langdon Darren $450,000.00
Langenbrunner Jamie Qualified at $1,655,128.00
Madden John $3,861,561.00
Marshall Grant $760,000.00
Martin Paul Qualified at $506,000.00
Matvichuk Richard $1,368,000.00
Niedermayer Scott Unsigned
Oliwa Krzysztof $836,000.00
Pandolfo Jay $836,000.00
Rafalski Brian Unsigned
Rasmussen Erik $532,000.00
Stevens Scott Unsigned
White John Colin Qualified at $1,710,000.00
Hale, David: Qualified at $506,000

Total (including Hale, who wasn't on there originally): $31,363,782
A few scenarios:
Total if Kozlov stays in Russia: $29,615792
Total if Kozlov stays in Russia and Madden is right about what his total under the cap really is ($2.4M instead of $3.8): $28,154,231

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not to overstate the obvious, but the strength of our team, defense, is in trouble.

Maybe Brylin could play defense?

And anyone think there's room here to sign a$$Holik is wrong... not happening.
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#26 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:55 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, because the bonuses go against the cap, you have to plan your cap situation as if you will pay out the bonuses at maximum, at least at the beginning of the season. Then you can see what happens during the season. But with the new rules, I wonder whether the old bonus clauses in existing contracts are still valid...which might be a reason Madden said his contract was misunderstood, that's all.

I HATE HAVING IMPERFECT INFORMATION!!! :blink:

2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#27 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,624 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:57 PM

TSN's Eastern Conference tracker has Clemmensen in at $450K.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

#28 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:59 PM

Also who's to say what Brodeurs contract actually consisted of -- if they have Madden's contract wrong then maybe Marty's is as well? And everyone else under than sun for that matter. I mean do the qualifying offers state amounts ? Or do they just say the offer was tendered and everyone just assumes the old reported salary didn't include bonuses etc and so forth... basically what Madden said is the entire estimated payroll is bullsh!t - we're spinning our wheeles here...

but since none of us work for the Devils and will have nothing to do with any of this money in any way shape or form we're really just wheel spnning anyhow so what the heck right? Sort of like arguing if there's life after death -- who the hell knows until it's done?

Edited by Darwindog, 01 August 2005 - 12:59 PM.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. --Mark Twain

#29 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:00 PM

:rofl: Sue and I are getting a little testy here... :evil:

#30 section 110

section 110

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:01 PM

Also who's to say what Brodeurs contract actually consisted of -- if they have Madden's contract wrong then maybe Marty's is as well? And everyone else under than sun for that matter.  I mean do the qualifying offers state amounts ?  Or do they just say the offer was tendered and everyone just assumes the old reported salary didn't include bonuses etc and so forth... basically what Madden said is the entire estimated payroll is bullsh!t - we're spinning our wheeles here...

but since none of us work for the Devils and will have nothing to do with any of this money in any way shape or form we're really just wheel spnning anyhow so  what the heck right?  Sort of like arguing if there's life after death -- who the hell knows until it's done?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah - but it's lots of fun to want to have an edge in understanding all of this
Posted Image

Official NJDevs.com keeper of....CAA's Section 110 (for the first 25 years) and The Rock's Section 5 22 (for the next 25 years and beyond)

#31 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:05 PM

:rofl:  Sue and I are getting a little testy here...  :evil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

US??? NEVER!!! Well...OK, maybe. But isn't it nice to be getting that way over hockey again??? :P

#32 Swede

Swede

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:43 AM

what about McAmmond? he was good for the rats last year yet I can't find his contract status anywhere.

He would be an OK 3rd/4th liner, one that wouldn't be too expensive

#33 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 08:53 AM

You wondered how this lays out for other teams, well, here's what Toronto's situation is. If you want to read the entire article about how they only have about $10 million to sign 7 players I've included the link. Also, they'd want to maintain a little salary flexibility so they wouldn't go all they way up to the cap, so it's really about $7-8 million for 7 players, which gives you an idea of why Roberts and Nieuwy aren't there anymore.

But here is the link and then the section of the article which lays out who is under contract and who has been qualified & for how much:

http://www.thestar.c...l=1044442957278

Scrimping Leafs shortchanged on talent
Naslund in T.O.? Don't count on it

DAMIEN COX

Who's left?

If all the unsigned Maple Leafs accept their qualifying offers, Toronto will have 16 players under contract for a total salary of $28.7 million (all figures U.S.). Here's who is in blue and white so far, with 2005-06 salary in parenthesis:

GOALIES

Ed Belfour ($5.6 million), Mikael Tellqvist ($450,000).

DEFENCEMAN

Bryan McCabe ($3.5 million), Tomas Kaberle ($2.28 million), Ken Klee ($1.9 million), Aki Berg* ($1.1 million), Karel Pilar* ($450,000).

FORWARDS

Mats Sundin (earning $6.8 million; $6.3 million against the cap), Darcy Tucker ($1.6 million), Jeff O'Neill ($1.5 million), Nik Antropov* ($1 million), Matt Stajan ($805,000), Wade Belak* ($798,000), Chad Kilger ($475,000), Alex Ponikarovsky ($450,000), Nathan Perrott* ($450,000)

* Have until Aug. 15 to accept qualifying offer.

#34 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,854 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:05 AM

Calgary's is prettier:
http://www.dylanmile.../cgy_roster.htm

:)
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#35 Swede

Swede

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:15 AM

funny, everyone expects players to sign their qualifying offers. I have heard a lot of players saying that they wont (for example Zetterberg with detroit)

I have a hard time believing that martin will accept $506,000.00 after his worldcup stint and the kind of rookie season he had (once he got off the "martinride to albany" that people had him on half the season)

or that gionta would play for $570,000.00 when he is a first line player

Edited by Swede, 03 August 2005 - 07:16 AM.

#36 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:25 AM

well the player has 3 choices: sign the qualifier, elect to go to arbitration, or negotiate a long-term deal with the qualifying team.

True, the players do not have to sign, but their playing rights are held by the qualifying team.
They have little choice but to sign.
And they must sign by December 1, or sit out the entire season

#37 Swede

Swede

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:29 AM

well the player has 3 choices: sign the qualifier, elect to go to arbitration, or negotiate a long-term deal with the qualifying team.

True, the players do not have to sign, but their playing rights are held by the qualifying team. 
They have little choice but to sign.
And they must sign by December 1, or sit out the entire season

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I was making $100.000 more than minimum and was playing on the 1st line I'd probably try to see what I could do about it. should be interesting to see what will happen with this the next couple of weeks.

#38 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:17 AM

Yeah, I doubt Gionta and Martin will be signed for their qualifiers, honestly. Which even moreso spells the end of Raf or Nieds.
Posted Image

#39 RandomguyX

RandomguyX

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 12:22 PM

Was Stevens resigned when I wasn't looking? Why is it that everyone believes he is coming back? With the New NHL and the way we have already seen players bouncing around the league would it be out of the question to think that Lou might spend the money on Rafi AND Nieds and let Stevens go?

#40 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,624 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 12:30 PM

Was Stevens resigned when I wasn't looking? Why is it that everyone believes he is coming back? With the New NHL and the way we have already seen players bouncing around the league would it be out of the question to think that Lou might spend the money on Rafi AND Nieds and let Stevens go?

I don't know if everyone's convinced he's coming back, but the consensus seems to be that he won't play anywhere else. He'll either resign with the Devs or retire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users