Photo

Does anyone else hope that Nieder leaves?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:36 AM

Don you are right on many counts, but I do think Niedermayer (Greedermayer) is worth the $$$.

at least if he does go the Devils got the genius of lou...

in this new world order nhl, lou will definately be the king of GM's given his ability to find cheap interchangable parts for his machine as well as off the chart talent.
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#22 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:43 AM

What I will enjoy doing over the next season or two is comparing median salary to winning percentage. It is my theory that the teams with the highest median will have the highest winning percentages.

Doing it over past seasons doesn't work because the teams with the highest medians also had the highest salaries. So your Detroits and Colorados are up there. And Rangers to throw the whole theory off. But now that all teams are tied to an upper limit, the median is a relative indicator of depth. We'll see what happens.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,510 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:31 AM

Ah, Don. Always with the abstractions. Don, depth on defense is almost meaningless without a top defenseman. Boston's had it for a while, Dallas had it last season, the Islanders have had it in recent years. The Flyers have had it for ten seasons now. You cannot win in this league without an excellent top pairing of defensemen to shut down the opposing team's best line. And now that the best offensive players are spreading themselves out over the league, it's even more important, because every playoff team is sure to be able to ice a solid top line.

The Devils are in a difficult situation because 7M is a lot for one player, and perhaps too much. But they don't have a choice. It's Niedermayer or difficulty making the playoffs. They will not win very much with their median salaried defense.

I think your theory is flawed. I don't think depth is the way to go because it's impossible to attain the kind of depth necessary to really make a difference against those 3rd pairings and 4th lines. The 2000 Devils are a thing of the past. Only young teams with cap room could really pick up any significant forward depth - yes, they will have the highest median, but that is incidental - it is not as though the GM rejected having top players, it is just that the top players on such teams are not high salaried because they are young.

Under the salary cap, I think it's best to try to ice two good lines and two good pairings. Having a good 3rd line center is a big plus, but aside from that, I just don't see it as that important. We'll see how the season plays out.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:37 AM

We'll see how the season plays out.

That we will my friend.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#25 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:22 AM

I honestly dont care if he leaves, hes been very "prima donna" during this whole process.

I hate to say it, but players slow down eventually. Scott's game relies heavily on speed, and with a 5 yr deal its safe to say we will see a decline in his game eventually.

And I dont want to pay a guy 6.8 million a year whos slowing down.

Same with Forsberg, yes, he is still good, but hes literally a shell of what he was 4 yrs ago.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#26 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:59 AM

Why I think we need Nieds:
-Stevens is done after this season (if he plays at all)
-No one else on the blueline will have his playoff experience
-We will lose Rafi and Martin is not ready to be our PP QB
-He will be our next Captain
-He is the only player on D available that can take over the cornerstone role from Stevens.
-He is clutch in the playoffs.

I like the fact that the demand for him has dwindled in the past few days, but I am scared with Vancouver is making room to get him and I think Rob Nieds has only a one year deal with Anaheim.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#27 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,416 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:04 AM

Does anyone else Nieder leaving would be a blessing in disguise. I think the offer is locking up someone for too much money, and its not the Devils style of doing things. I wonder if Lou is getting caught up, kinda similar to the way Holik left in 2002. The Devils offered Holik the world, but it was a blessing in disguise that he left. I still think money could be better spent keep Stevens and/or Rafalski, and signing a forward. I still think there's some decent players and cheap projects the Devils love to take on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Comparing Neids to Holik is like night and day...
First the Devs have alwasy locked up their corner stones.. ( see Stevens & Broduer).
Neids IMHO is one of top 3 dmen inthe NHL, he's a leader and has always been at his best in the playoffs. If you are not going to spend the money on him then who??

Rafi for 4 mil?? NOT!!!

Of course we do have Freeze, so we really donot neid any dmen, cause Freeze is the best player in the NHl, probably will win the hart this year...

Edited by redruM, 04 August 2005 - 09:05 AM.

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#28 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:06 AM

Why I think we need Nieds: 
-Stevens is done after this season (if he plays at all)
-No one else on the blueline will have his playoff experience
-We will lose Rafi and Martin is not ready to be our PP  QB
-He will be our next Captain
-He is the only player on D available that can take over the cornerstone role from Stevens.
-He is clutch in the playoffs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that we need Nieds for all the reasons stated above but if we offered 6.8 for 5 years that's really all you can do. Considering Anahiem is the other bidder, they wouldn't have given us Rob for very cheap. Besides, Rob isn't that good, so on top of Scott taking 17% percent of our cap room we would also be "stuck" with Rob. No player is worth that, especially when he's only the second best on the team. Should we sign Marty's dad as the backup goalie next time his contract is up as enticment for him to stay?

6.8 for 4-5 years is a more than fair offer for any player, take it or leave it.

#29 swampdevil

swampdevil

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:07 AM

agree manta,we neids him.
NEW JERSEY, The most american of all states.It has everything from wilderness to the mafia.All the great things and all the worst.For example..............Route 22. - Jean Shepard : 1970 Newark Sunday news

#30 devils744

devils744

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:07 AM

take it for what it's worth..on another board someone said on TEAM 1260 that nieds signed with the ducks.

#31 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,416 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:09 AM

take it for what it's worth..on another board someone said on TEAM 1260 that nieds signed with the ducks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I'm oging to be sick!!!!

of copurse the good thing is no one is reporting that he is signing w/ NJ!!!!
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#32 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:11 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wasn't this the report from last night that had no validity?

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#33 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:12 AM

Yeah, that rumor made its way here last night, but it was quickly squashed when DM asked a bunch of folks from Edmonton whether they had actually heard that and was told they had not.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#34 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,659 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:17 AM

He'll prob sign with Anaheim. Just my feeling. They aren't a joke team anymore.

#35 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:19 AM

Toronto sports talk radio reporting he is a Duck.

#36 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:21 AM

Burke "Nieds" to make a splash in the Anaheim market, but its so odd to hear Anahiem is bidding for a player. No longer a Disney franchise.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#37 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:22 AM

/me thinks ANA is too top-heavy on salary to add the needed players.
And they've got a rookie coach.

SJ looks more like a better fit.
And Nabokov is way better than Jiggy.

and yet a small piece of me still holds hope for NJ...
we'll know in about 4-5 hours.

#38 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:24 AM

we know now. he's gone.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#39 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 11:22 AM

I dont care if he's gone. I've always expected him to leave at some point. The guy's been a gunslinger since the beginning. Anyway, so what? If we're going to remain great as a franchise, we'll have to start infusing new blood along with the champions, until THEY feel like champions. The Habs did it. The Oilers did it. The Yanks do it. Why not us? Great teams and organizations have a flair for this sort of thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users