1473 replies to this topic

#41 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 02:21 PM

Ugh. That is just awful. Sue, Keenan isn't the coach. That job falls on Jacques Martin. True. Florida needs leadership. But this reeks of a Rangeresque kind of move. Man.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right. I keep forgetting they hired the guy (I wouldn't want to be employed by Keenan). It's not the move itself I have a problem with, though. It's the $$$. Joe shouldn't be making more than $750K and Gary not more than $1.5, if that. But Keenan never let price get in the way of what he wanted to do in the old days and I guess he's not going to let it stand in his way now - cap or no cap.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#42 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 02:34 PM

keep in mind that florida's cap number was very low and they needed to get to where they could get some revenue sharing $$. this works because it's an easy one year signing that might work out and might not. its relatively risk free and does provide leadership for a young team. i actually think that it was a good move for the panthers.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#43 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:03 PM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:argh:

this is SO FREAKING BORING!!!!

ti's like the lockout all over again...

:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:
A dog has the soul of a philosopher. --Plato
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. --Mark Twain

In case you wondered... I'm Pepperkorn's dog

#44 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:20 PM

The difference with the Rangers and their UFA's is that they HAD NO YOUTH. Everyone was old on that team. Florida has one of the youngest rosters in the league.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#45 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,508 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:31 PM

I think Nieuwy does have a year left or so, not sure about Roberts though I remember him having a good first half with Toronto in '04? But it was basically a package deal anyway and when Lyle Odelein qualifies as 'veteran leadership' they did need to do something on that front :lol:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#46 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 04:08 PM

I think it's a very good move for the Panthers too. There's Four Stanley Cups and 250 playoff games at least between the two of them. What better guys to bring into a locker room? These guys love the game more than life itself.

This isn't Rangersesque. Rangersesque would be signing a guy like Nedved to get yourself over the cap number. I think Keenan's brought in two solid veterans here.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#47 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,035 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 04:09 PM

With all the news I forgot, can you go over the cap? What was the penalty?

#48 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 04:17 PM

With all the news I forgot, can you go over the cap? What was the penalty?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only if you've got someone on IR and pick up someone to replace him. And as soon as that player comes off IR, you have to come back into compliance with the cap.

But nothing I have seen tells you what the penalty is if you screw up.

A week listening to Bettman and Campbell lecture you on your evilness?? That would be enough for me to slit my throat.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#49 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 04:19 PM

penalties come in the form of lost draft pics and severe fines to the owner. i'm not sure what the numbers are in either case, but they are severe. reporting false revenue is an even greater offense.

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-

#50 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,320 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 04:20 PM

I'm guessing there's no penalty... the transaction is just invalid. You have 1M cap room, you try to trade a draft pick for a guy making 2M, the league won't let you.
Posted Image

#51 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 04:26 PM

I'm guessing there's no penalty... the transaction is just invalid. You have 1M cap room, you try to trade a draft pick for a guy making 2M, the league won't let you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this is 99% true. the penalties come when you're caught misrepresenting revenue (or payroll)

20082719943.png
-

#52 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 04:26 PM

By the way, I think Florida intentionally overpaid. These guys knew they weren't getting this kind of money anywhere else, Florida has to hit the salary floor, and they don't want guys who are going to clog up the roster when they want to begin to win. I think there will be a lot of teams intentionally overpaying who have no intention of winning this year but want to bring in a 'name' for the fans. I don't think it sets the market though - the market is determined by cap space remaining, not what other players have signed for.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#53 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 04:58 PM

both had good 03-04 seasons, though you have to wonder if they can still do it at 39-40. Nieuwendyk might revert back to his Devil form as a waste of space. They might get 30 goals between the two if they're lucky.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#54 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:03 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...y.asp?ID=132153

Blues sign Aaron Downey.

So much for the "free agent frenzy" we've heard so much about....
Posted Image

#55 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,597 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:06 PM

I guess they are adding all the cheap guys first to see what they have left for the higher priced guys.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#56 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:13 PM

Ugh. That is just awful. Sue, Keenan isn't the coach. That job falls on Jacques Martin. True. Florida needs leadership. But this reeks of a Rangeresque kind of move. Man.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldnt say this is awful or Rangere$que.....Rangerse$que is outbidding yourself on a 31-33 yr old UFA that is declining and paying him like he is 27...well that WAS the Ranger$ way...not so much now.

Florida is adding experience to compliment a group of younger players, not a terrible move...will it get them to the Finals in 06? I doubt it....can it help guys like Weiss mature into better players? Definately.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#57 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:14 PM

Like I said at the beginning of this thread, they were only allowed to START negotiations today. If you were a player would you accept the first offer you saw?
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#58 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:19 PM

Like I said at the beginning of this thread, they were only allowed to START negotiations today. If you were a player would you accept the first offer you saw?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely not....

I bet more of the activity starts this time next week..but thats just a guess.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#59 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:53 PM

Wild ink free-agent Nazarov

TSN.ca Staff
8/1/2005 7:07:21 PM

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (Ticker) - The Minnesota Wild dipped into the free agent market Monday, signing unrestricted free agent left wing Andrei Nazarov.

Terms were not disclosed.

Known for his toughness, Nazarov spent his last two seasons with the Phoenix Coyotes. In 2003-04, the Russian native played in 33 games, tallying just three points and 125 penalty minutes.

"Andrei could really add to the team's physical character and make us that much more tougher to play against," Wild general manager Doug Risebrough said. "He has a real chance to make an impact here."

Nazarov, 31, also has played for San Jose, Tampa Bay, Calgary, Boston and Anaheim. He has collected 53 goals and 124 points to go along with 1,403 penalty minutes in 569 career games.

#60 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 07:00 PM

Nazarov is such a question mark. I alway expected him to develop beyond that of a goon, be its never happened. He has soon many short lived addresses I wonder if he has an alcohol problem.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users