1473 replies to this topic

#1341 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,600 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:18 PM

I think CroMag can understand someone being a casual fan of multiple teams but not a seemingly diehard fan of four teams.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#1342 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:22 PM

I think CroMag can understand someone being a casual fan of multiple teams but not a seemingly diehard fan of four teams.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oooooo.

meh. Its kinda like
bruins

other 3

the bruins are the only team i like just cause of their team. The other teams i like cause of players, bruins i started cause of bourque, but they've stayed for some crazy nutball reason....i dunno.

i can understand why it might be weird to others, but meh.
Posted Image

Hahahaha...long overdue. Now they need to get rid of Jacobs.

The problem is, NJ only plays them 4 times a year. We were only able to get them to trade JT and fire the idiot GM. If we played them 8 times a year, maybe Jacobs might have an epiphany and sell the team.

#1343 brodeurfanatic

brodeurfanatic

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 01:22 AM

Off topic, I see westcoast reading this thread. Glad to see ya back!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Derek, It's good to be back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome Back Kool-Aid KING!!! :dance:
Posted Image
Thanks for the sig UnderdogX

---

"He loves the game, he has God-given talent and we're just glad he's in our pipes," - Lou Lamoriello vs Flyers on 4/1/06

---

Official NJDevs.com Keeper Of Brodeur's Coach Jacques Caron
Official NJDevs.com Keeper Of Special Assignment Coach Pat Burns

Starting a Game Thread Record ~ 4-1-0-1

#1344 Elias 2662

Elias 2662

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 01:30 AM

If you only like other teams because of the players why were you pulling your hair out when the Panthers signed Stumpel and Gratton. If it's only certain players you follow then what does it matter if the team makes a dumb (in your mind) decision or not.
"If you're not first, you're last" - Reese Bobby (might as well have been said by Lou Lamoriello)

#1345 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 01:44 AM

If you only like other teams because of the players why were you pulling your hair out when the Panthers signed Stumpel and Gratton.  If it's only certain players you follow then what does it matter if the team makes a dumb (in your mind) decision or not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would just be liking a certain player...I like the team. I like the team because of hte player. Its different.

There are things were i only follow players, i.e. cujo, brodeur, lalime, etc. And i don't care about the team, but in the case of panthers, thrashers, and preds i like the team because of the players.
Posted Image

The problem is, NJ only plays them 4 times a year. We were only able to get them to trade JT and fire the idiot GM. If we played them 8 times a year, maybe Jacobs might have an epiphany and sell the team.

#1346 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 05:54 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that is what I was getting at. Basically, B's, if you had the same die-hard mega-fan passion for all four of those teams at the same time, well, that simply does not compute with me.

This whole situation brings back bad memories of a college roommate I had who liked about five different teams in every major sport. And every time one of those teams beat the one team I liked, I got to hear about it. :D
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#1347 KarlovyVary

KarlovyVary

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 07:10 AM

I don't understand why it's such a big issue. People don't have to worship a team to be interested in them. I'm a devils fan, but when I come on this board, I seriously don't fee like one. I don't worry about the same little details the people on this board are concerned about, but that doesn't stop me cheering for them when the team's on the ice.

If you can't like the players on a team, what are you supposed to like? The logo?

#1348 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,926 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 07:33 AM

well it all depends on WHY you root for a team... me personally it takes some kinda "moment" to bond you with the team for life (case in point Zelepukin's goal in game 7 back in 1994... that sealed my Devils-fan-dom for life)... but I've also known "friends" (using the term loosely) who casually root for whatever floats their pathetic soulless boat for the moment and float and jump from team to team and one moment they're rooting with ya and the next second while you're getting your heart ripped out in the 2001 Finals... they're sitting there marvelling chris Drury's stupid little goal... or whining more about Suckora being hurt and impailed on the ice rather then worrying about the TEAM on the verge of a Cup... my personal take is you can't root for individuals over a team in a TEAM sport and it does bother the living sh!t out of me when people do... but I look at the world in a VERY odd light and I am damn proud of that :)

don't get me wrong... I center ice roam as much as anyone and once Hasek goes away I will follow the Sens again..... but it's Devils first and a double digit salute for the other 29 teams in the NHL :evil:
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#1349 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:10 AM

I don't understand why it's such a big issue. People don't have to worship a team to be interested in them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I think it's perfectly acceptable to have a favorite team and others that you'll watch from time to time because you like a particular player, or their style of play suits you, etc. But you wouldn't call yourself a fan of those teams. In other words, if they went on to win it all, would you run around like a nut, the same way if the Devils won it all? Nope.

Going full-out, gung-ho, in-your-face for four different teams...I dunno, makes zero sense to me.

I guess it's a bragging rights thing with me. The idea that someone could experience (as much as a fan could, anyway) a championship more easily than me because they root for a quarter of the teams in the league just doesn't sit well with me.
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#1350 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:39 AM

I'm a devils fan, but when I come on this board, I seriously don't fee like one.

I did not know that. I seriously thought you were a Senators fan.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#1351 KarlovyVary

KarlovyVary

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 09:07 AM

I am a huge Sens fan, but I don't want to go to Sens forums and hear people cry "Redden Redden".
:puke:

No, I am a big devils fan. Yeah, 2003 was probably the worst year to be both a Sens and Devils fan. When Friesen scored that goal, I was devastated. Two days later I was extremely excited. When the Devils won the Cup, I don't think I've ever been that happy.

#1352 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,600 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 09:18 AM

If you can't like the players on a team, what are you supposed to like? The logo?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup. players come and go. The logo remains the same.

#1353 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:12 AM

Karlovy vary likes a variety of times...but she likes them for different reasons then me, she soley follows the goalie, well sens are her hometown team, but in general she follows the goalies. And she liked lalime so that worked out for a while, then they got hasek....

And njcromag, ya i'm kind of a die hard fan of each, but only really live and die by bruins ya know?

I'm not the kind of person who shoves wins and loses into somebody's face....unless its my one friend who feels the irritating need to go HOW MANY TIMES HAVE THE BRUINS GOTTEN PAST THE FIRST ROUND AOIFWEJPFJEWIFWO

basically you only get something shoved in your face if you really have it coming...basically i'll celebrate to myself, but i won't shove it in your face.

Edited by bruins4777, 19 August 2005 - 10:13 AM.

Posted Image

#1354 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:40 AM

And njcromag, ya i'm kind of a die hard fan of each, but only really live and die by bruins ya know?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That statement seems contradictory to me. I guess that's neither here nor there.

Don't get me wrong...I wasn't insinuating that you'd go mouthing off to people in here. But I've known people who root for a handful of teams and *have* done that, and the person getting attacked inevitably responds with: "Why don't you try rooting for one team, you chicken-s***? That's what most people do!"

Gets very ugly...

#1355 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:49 AM

I'll always be a Dallas Stars fan. I became a Devils fan when Nieuwy was traded, and I'm still a Devils fan, because . . . .well, how can you not like an organization and team like the Devils????

I followed the Leafs last year because of Nieuwy, but I can't say I'm a Leafs fan, or that I'll even care how they do this year, even though I hope kids like Matt Stajan do well.

I'll follow the Panthers this year, but who knows whether I'll become a Panthers fan? Hopefully, Nieuwy will have a full 2 years there, and then retire and come back to Dallas. :pray:
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#1356 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,600 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:23 PM

. . . .well,  how can you not like an organization and team like the Devils????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh that just brings a tear to my eye. Could be these onions, no no it can't be, it's the statement.

#1357 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:56 PM

I have to say that I've become quite a fan of the Preds, since I get the 10 game pack every year. But still, on a scale of 1-10, the Devils still are a 10 for me, where as the Preds are about a 4.

You never lose those Jersey roots. :D

#1358 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 01:24 PM

Just in case we're still talking about free agent signings here:

So far today there's been a bunch of names I don't recognize, but there's a few signings of interest here. The Senators have signed River Rats left winger Brett Clouthier (NJ's second round pick in the '99 Draft), the Isles picked up former Devils and Rangers farmhand Joel Bouchard, and Phoenix signs goalie Steve Passmore.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#1359 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,290 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 02:07 PM

Im a die-hard Devils fans, but I have also taken a liking to the Canucks since 1994, cause I was rooting for them so hard to beat the Rangers, and even though it didnt happen I still liked that team, but since they are in the Western Conference we barely ever played them so it wasn't an issue rooting for them but when we did play them I wanted to beat the hell out of them. Plus it has worked out really nice since Center Ice came out, because I would either go to the Devils home games or watch the away games on tv and then catch the Canucks at 10:30

#1360 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 02:50 PM

Stars re-sign Brenden Morrow for 2 seasons.

Coyotes have signed Steve Passmore to a one-year contract.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users