28 replies to this topic

#21 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:18 PM

It was a rumor Has. But the Rangers weren't willing to spend the money like some other team$.

Edited by Derek21, 23 August 2005 - 03:32 PM.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#22 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 04:33 PM

He is just playing his options correctly....why not get UFA status for leverage. Lou shouldn't allways get the hammer.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 04:43 PM

Because neither of them are working with a hammer now, Jason. If history with Brodeur and Stevens is any guide, both are trying to work out a deal that is both fair value for Elias, and will allow New Jersey to be a winning team.

What UFAs receive is not 'market value' - it is well above what a real market would pay for any given player.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:55 PM

Because neither of them are working with a hammer now, Jason.  If history with Brodeur and Stevens is any guide, both are trying to work out a deal that is both fair value for Elias, and will allow New Jersey to be a winning team.

What UFAs receive is not 'market value' - it is well above what a real market would pay for any given player.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You right Lou doesn't have the hammer now but he did up till this contract. All I am saying is it is smart for Elias to check all options and only signa 1 year deal. It would be foolish for him to sign 4 or 5 years right now.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#25 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:59 PM

I think it's a smart move. I mean, c'mon people, it's not like he's getting over the flu. Regardless of A or C, hepatitus is very serious and who knows if his ability will be affected when he comes back. It's not like it was signed out of animosity. It's a smart move because I would much rather the organization be able to cut their losses after 1 season if Elias comes back and isnt effective.

If he is able to play the way he's used to playing, they'll re-negotiate and he'll be back next season. Instead of being so pessimistic, let's have a bit of optimism.

#26 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:19 PM

But Jas0n, what if the salary cap ceiling were to come down after this season? That would result in lower monetary offers. It's kind of like Niedermayer shunning the Devils' offer last summer so he could test the waters of free agency. He still made out well, but it's two steps below NJ's previous offer.

Not trying to be snippy, it's an honest question.

Edited by insanity_gallops, 23 August 2005 - 06:19 PM.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#27 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:35 PM

Sorry but if I were the Devils, in this situation, I'd only give him one year and see how he does first before committing a long-term deal like some of the other teams are doing with their stars.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#28 Devs25

Devs25

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 07:48 PM

Hopefully his mind hasn't changed since he made the quote that is in my signature.
"The older you get, the more appreciative you become," Elias said. "You sometimes hear stories where players might be happier playing somewhere, but maybe they are miserable.
"Our goal as hockey players is to win the Stanley Cup. I'm 28 and I've played in 100 playoff games. I love it here. I would love to be a Devil forever." ---Patrik Elias

I heart Randy #21 :)~ and Jason #25 Even though everyone hates him

#29 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,720 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 07:51 PM

But Jas0n, what if the salary cap ceiling were to come down after this season? That would result in lower monetary offers. It's kind of like Niedermayer shunning the Devils' offer last summer so he could test the waters of free agency. He still made out well, but it's two steps below NJ's previous offer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually given the rollback, Nieds would probably be making about $6 million post-cap if he'd signed the rumored $8 million deal so in a strange way it worked out for him, even though he ironically took the lesser offer from the Ducks.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users