6 replies to this topic

#1 Devs25

Devs25

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 03:59 PM

Q: Is there such a thing as Bland Sports Interview Face? I saw Alex Rodriguez using it after the Yanks lost to the Angels ... and I've seen Mario Lemieux use it I don't know how many times. It goes like this: Reporter asks question, athlete answers with vanilla, cliché-filled response, then scrunches his lips in some kind of an "I'm done with the answer now" shape. It's similar to a let-me-think-for-a-second face scrunch or the greeting-someone-on-the-street-without-saying-a-word scrunch: your lips purse a little -- not as much as a pucker, though -- and move up towards your nose. You get the idea. Somehow every A-Rod interview ends with the Bland Sports Interview Face.
--Jay, Fergus Falls, Minn.

SG: Wait, wait, wait ... you can't give A-Rod and Lemieux credit for that face. Didn't you just describe every interview with every NHL player from the past 30 years? After the Falcons-Jets game on Monday night, I was sifting through e-mails and forgot to change the channel when Rob Fukuzaki's "Sports Zone" postgame show came on -- the filler show that Los Angeles' ABC affiliate airs after the Monday Night game. It's not a bad show, with the bonus that Rob carries himself like a grown-up version of one of the "Better Off Dead" announcers. Anyway, poor Rob was stuck carrying the Niedermeyer brothers for about 4-5 segments as he showed Falcons highlights, other sports highlights and even sports bloopers, replete with exchanges like this:

Rob: "Let's go to the third quarter -- that's right, another fumble by Vinny Testaverde. Have you guys ever seen anything like that? Isn't this incredible?"

(Awkward silence as the Niedermeyer brothers look at each other, waiting to see who should speak. Finally ... )

Ahh, A-Rod -- or as he's known at the Arroyo house -- Slappy McSlaperson.
Brother No: 1 (face scrunching, followed by a monotone): "Well, Vinny's been in the league a long time, he knows how to bounce back from a bad game, and you just have to deal with those things as a professional athlete."

(Brother 1 purses lips and makes the A-Rod Face, followed by Brother 2 scrunching his face. That's followed by another awkward second of silence. And then ... )

Brother No. 2 (monotone): "Yeah, we all have our good days and our bad days, and Vinny certainly has experience with both types of days."

(Brother No. 2 purses lips and makes the A-Rod face. They're done talking. Cut to a rattled Rob ... )

Rob: "Um, later on the third quarter, watch this pass by Michael Vick ... "

And it went on that way for a good 40 minutes, followed by Rob covering himself in diesel gasoline and lighting himself on fire. Fortunately, I saved it on my TiVo.

But while we're here, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that the Niedermeyers were wearing matching $35 Polo-style shirts and jeans for their TV appearance, which got me thinking ... screw the NBA, why isn't the NHL the league that instituted a dress code? At least some NBA players take pride in their clothes -- thanks to MJ, many were already wearing suits and stuff after games -- whereas most NHL players dress like college kids on a Sunday afternoon who just woke up and haven't decided whether they should clean up the puke in the kitchen yet. Plus, all the coaches dress like movie ushers. You're telling me the NBA needs a dress code more than the NHL? Is there an NHL coach who wears a suit that costs more than $125? Forget about Abboud or Zegna ... when Pat Burns coached the Bruins, I think he was sponsored by K-Mart. What an outrage.

tee hee

Edited by Devs25, 27 October 2005 - 05:11 PM.

"The older you get, the more appreciative you become," Elias said. "You sometimes hear stories where players might be happier playing somewhere, but maybe they are miserable.
"Our goal as hockey players is to win the Stanley Cup. I'm 28 and I've played in 100 playoff games. I love it here. I would love to be a Devil forever." ---Patrik Elias

I heart Randy #21 :)~ and Jason #25 Even though everyone hates him

#2 Elias Sports Bureau

Elias Sports Bureau

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 05:52 PM

Immediately after reading this I see Lou Piniella on ESPN sports news in a polo shirt with a big MasterCard logo.
Keeper of Patrik Elias, Alexander Mogilny and njdevs.com Keepers

"We've let the fans down. People pay good money and they've always had pride in the Devils." -- Scott Gomez

#3 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:32 PM

It's funny, too. When Nieds was on the Devils, you ONLY saw him in a suit. Lou runs a tighter ship than that Mickey Mouse operation out west.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#4 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:34 PM

Maybe they were auditioning for Doublemint?
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#5 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:15 PM

I watched the interview and it was really bad. Scott looked like a greasy regular at the Sportzone (where the show is taped in dowtown Disney). I was embarrassed for both of them. Rob is like the slower dorky little brother. Then they got their mom on the phone and the interview got worse. Poor Fukazaki, embarrassing. :P
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

#6 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:22 PM

They called Mommy? :puke:

Edited by LizDevil30, 27 October 2005 - 09:23 PM.

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#7 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,975 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:34 PM

They called Mommy? :puke:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:evil:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users