#1 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,504 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:20 PM

Map Sex Offenders

I have no problem with doing that but I know some people think its a violation of rights so thats why I put it in politics. It could be useful for parents that worry about this though.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#2 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,618 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:24 PM

It depends. The registries -- mandated and regulated by law -- are there so that people can look up the information. All this does is make that research process easier. If one is of the opinion that sex offender registries shouldn't exist, then I can understand why one would be against this site. However, I can't see anyone being in favor of having the registries but not in favor of having this site.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#3 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:32 PM

This is just another way to display publically available so sure, why not. If they were getting information that was not public then I'd have a problem with it.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#4 emptynet

emptynet

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:34 PM

I think it's a good thing to have. My brother lives in South Carolina and has three small kids. He was looking at houses and one of the houses he liked was right across the street from a sex offender. Without the website he may not have found out until after he bought the house.
Needless to say, he passed on the house.

Put these sick people on a pedastool, if it protects kids it's worth it.
"He tried to run him into next week and only got a day and a half..." Doc Emeric

I think I need to go home and lie down... nothing makes sense any more. - MDDEVSFAN

Official Keeper of the Devils locker room

#5 kavbro5

kavbro5

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:39 PM

Since this is public information I have no problem with this being accessible. It is just another tool to keep you informed. I live in PA and it states only violent sexual offenders can be listed but I guess this is better than nothing.

#6 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,504 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:59 PM

I actually just meant the fact that it is publically available info bothers some people, sorry for the mix up.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#7 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:18 PM

I only have a minute, but I'l come back later. But DO NOT rely on these web pages for accurate information.

I am in the process of rephotographing every sex offender I am responsible for, plus their homes and vehicles for my departments information. 700+

This is more feel good web pages with very limited information.

I'll be back.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#8 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 11:15 PM

Finding sex offender info on state sites are limited and some states don't even offer info on-line.
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#9 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 11:23 PM

Here is an internet link to state web pages:

Link
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#10 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 11:29 PM

New Jersey has over 11,000 registered sex offenders........there is just over 2,000 (if I remember, maybe 3,000) on NJ's web page.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#11 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 12:28 PM

New Jersey has over 11,000 registered sex offenders........there is just over 2,000 (if I remember, maybe 3,000) on NJ's web page.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well that makes the page rather inaccurate and useless. Either the public is entitled to the information or it isn't and if it is, it shouldn't be "edited."
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#12 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 01:43 PM

Well that makes the page rather inaccurate and useless. Either the public is entitled to the information or it isn't and if it is, it shouldn't be "edited."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True. But the courts decided that not every registrant should be on the web.

The exceptions are juvenile registrants (or those that committed their offenses as juveniles and are now adults), intrafamilial (incest) cases, "low" risk offenders (Tier 1's), and those that were "consensual" encounters, where no legal consent could be granted....i.e. a 20 year old who had consensual sex with a 15 year old. A 15 year old cannot grant legal consent, but some 15 year old choose to have sex with those more than 4 years older then them.

Those exceptions wipe out a good percentage.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#13 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:49 PM

Some other states I noticed did list statutory rape though. And pecuring a prostitute. That is really ridiculous. Prostitution shouldn't even be considered a sex crime, hell it shouldn't even be a crime, IMHO. Some guy pays for sex and is labeled a sex offender for life with his mug on a webpage. Incest offenders belong on there before those that buy sex.

I agree that a 20 year old that has sex with a 15 year doesn't belong there. But 20 yr old men don't get away with it like a 20 year old woman would. I guess society thinks teenage girls are too stupid to know what they want, but teenage boys do. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users