• 1,299 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:51 AM

MINOR LEAGUE HOCKEY IN LAKEWOOD? Arena proposal discussed
IT'S AN ICE IDEA

Town officials pitch plan for N.J. Devils farm team
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 12/16/05
BY RICHARD QUINN
TOMS RIVER BUREAU
LAKEWOOD — The township is in serious negotiations with the New Jersey Devils to build an arena costing $40 million to $50 million — within walking distance of FirstEnergy Park — that would be the new home of the franchise's minor-league affiliate.

Such a deal — under quiet discussion since the spring but first confirmed by those involved Thursday — would move the team into a 7,000-seat arena to be built opposite the parking lot of FirstEnergy, home of the Lakewood BlueClaws, an affiliate of baseball's Philadelphia Phillies.

The arena would host 40 hockey games a season and could be a partner with the Devils' $310 million home under construction in Newark. Because the Devils would operate both venues, any concert, circus or entertainment event held in Newark could also be held in Lakewood, said Sen.

Robert W. Singer, R-Ocean, who is helping negotiate the deal.

Singer is "hoping within the next 30 days we have a signed agreement," although Devils co-owner Jeff Vanderbeek described the talks as "preliminary discussions."

Vanderbeek added he will "very, very seriously consider" any written proposal.

Still, local negotiators see the deal as a spark plug for millions of dollars in tax ratables for Lakewood and a chance for the Devils to solidify their fan base by shuttling the minor-league River Rats from their current home in Albany, N.Y., to the Jersey Shore.

More important, those advocates say, the arena also would bring mainstream concerts, hockey tournaments and national circus tours to Ocean County — creating a new tourism draw for a seaside county known already known for its beaches.

"The opportunities are endless," Singer said.

Before hockey fans start sharpening their skates, though, the ambitious plan has several major obstacles.

First, Lakewood no longer has development rights to the 7 acres on which it would build the stadium. That land is under contract to Cedarbridge Development Corp., which has a deal in place with the township to create a high-tech office park next to the BlueClaws' ballpark at Cedar Bridge and New Hampshire avenues.

Second, the township has to figure out how to pay up to a $50 million price tag, which is roughly double what it cost to build the baseball stadium.

All hurdles aside, Ralph Zucker, a township-based developer, sees news of a hockey arena as a chance to create a town center in Lakewood. The baseball stadium and the new arena combined would serve, in his mind, as the anchors of a "lifestyle center" that would include more than 750 homes and apartments, a movie theater, a youth baseball complex, a hotel, 1.2 million square feet of office space and six "big box" retail stores.

Zucker's plan drew raves from elected officials when he pitched it last fall, but he was told the Cedarbridge agreement — which he has no part of — could not be changed.

Now, township officials are looking into what changes can be made.

"I'm telling you one of the things that excites (the Devils) is the mixed-use component," Zucker said. "What Lakewood and Ocean County will get out of this is multiplied tremendously if we get more than an arena."

Reclaiming the site

The first thing Lakewood needs to move forward with the plan is an agreement with Cedarbridge to relinquish rights to the 7 acres the arena would sit on, said Township Committeeman Raymond G. Coles.

The agreement to build a 1.5 million-square-foot office park and an age-restricted housing development — on 240 acres adjacent to FirstEnergy — has long been touted by township officials as a way to bring high-paying jobs to Lakewood, even while some residents have consistently criticized it as a land giveaway.

Jack Mueller, who runs Cedarbridge, could not be reached for comment Thursday, but Lawrence Bathgate II, a lawyer with an office in Lakewood — who brought the Devils and Singer together and is helping broker the deal — said Mueller is amenable to returning the land to the township.

Officials would not comment on what Mueller would get in exchange, but Singer said he hopes to work out a deal with Cedarbridge in the next 30 days.

"We sat down with Cedarbridge," Bathgate said. "They will release the seven acres. It's not a done deal, but directionally, everybody's striving to get it done."

Singer said the township could solve its second problem — paying for the construction — by getting the land designated as a Revenue Allocation District, a little-known distinction that allows the district's tax revenue to be used to pay off the bonds.

"I've been told how we can do it," Coles said. "I haven't gotten anything in writing yet as to how it's worked in other places."

River Rats taken aback

Coles isn't the only one short on information.

The Albany River Rats of the American Hockey League didn't know about the possible move until told of it Thursday by a reporter.

"This is the first I'm hearing of this," said John Scherzer, a team vice president. "We do have a contract with New Jersey, and it does expire at the end of the season."

Scherzer said he understands the Devils have to do what's in their best interest but declined further comment.

The River Rats, in last place in their conference, have drawn an average of 3,800 fans in their 14 home games this season, according to their Web site. By comparison, the Philadelphia Phantoms, also in the AHL, have drawn an average of 6,100 fans in 13 games. The league's average per-game attendance is 4,900.

"The only time line we're on is . . . our lease in Albany," Vanderbeek said in a telephone interview Thursday. "We have to protect our franchise and our minor-league team, especially nowadays when we have a great brand."

Vanderbeek and fellow owner Mike Gilfillan both said the Lakewood site is a good place for the Devils' affiliate — given the growing popularity of youth ice hockey and this season's return of the National Hockey League after an 18-month hiatus — but said it is too early to say whether the deal will be struck.

Vanderbeek said the Devils are talking with several cities to move the River Rats, whose name would change if they moved to Lakewood. He added the Lakewood site — surrounded by four-lane roadways, a five-minute drive from a Garden State Parkway exit and next to a baseball stadium that draws more than 440,000 fans a season — would allow the Devils to create more of a connection between the team and its minor-league affiliate.

"The Devils have always (tried) and will always try to get their minor-league franchise closer to our fans in New Jersey," Vanderbeek said. "They have to come up with a concrete plan."

Staff writer Mike Kerwick contributed to this story

#2 Devs25

Devs25

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:52 AM

doh. i posted the same thing :P
"The older you get, the more appreciative you become," Elias said. "You sometimes hear stories where players might be happier playing somewhere, but maybe they are miserable.
"Our goal as hockey players is to win the Stanley Cup. I'm 28 and I've played in 100 playoff games. I love it here. I would love to be a Devil forever." ---Patrik Elias

I heart Randy #21 :)~ and Jason #25 Even though everyone hates him

#3 devils744

devils744

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:53 AM

lakewood is 25 minutes from my house. that would be sweet!

#4 Devs25

Devs25

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:54 AM

I wrote this in my thread:

This would be awesome for us Jersey shore fans. I would feel bad for all the fans in Albany though. The Blueclaws are a big draw. And most people in this area aren't even Phillies fans. They're Met and Yankee fans. I know a lot of people go to have fun and bring the kids. The "Rats" would do really well here.
"The older you get, the more appreciative you become," Elias said. "You sometimes hear stories where players might be happier playing somewhere, but maybe they are miserable.
"Our goal as hockey players is to win the Stanley Cup. I'm 28 and I've played in 100 playoff games. I love it here. I would love to be a Devil forever." ---Patrik Elias

I heart Randy #21 :)~ and Jason #25 Even though everyone hates him

#5 rbdf

rbdf

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:59 AM

doh. i posted the same thing  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow, wierd, we posted within 2 minutes of each other

they probably won't do it for fear of pulling potential devils ticket buyers away from the new newark arena, but wouldn't it be sweet for all us ocean and monmouth hockey fans to have AHL level hockey in our back yards - I like going to the titans games, but the level of play is noticably lower, and trenton is still a pretty good hike all the way west on 195, Lakewood, AHL level, considerably cheaper than an NHL ticket, jeez, I'd buy season seats tomorrow.

#6 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,456 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:02 AM

even if we put an ECHL affiliate (which I am still baffled that we don't have one) like the Flyers have in Trenton.... why not ??
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#7 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,241 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:05 AM

it would make a lot of sense in solidifying the NJ fan base. you watch the kids on the farm, and then they make it to the NHL.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
β€œThey’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. β€œIt’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#8 emptynet

emptynet

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:30 AM

Great idea. That would be awesome if they moved to Lakewood. :dance:
"He tried to run him into next week and only got a day and a half..." Doc Emeric

I think I need to go home and lie down... nothing makes sense any more. - MDDEVSFAN

Official Keeper of the Devils locker room

#9 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:49 AM

If they put an AHL affiliate in Lakewood... I'll buy season tix, the place they are talking about it literally 5 minutes from my house!!!
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#10 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:50 PM

That would be awesome. I have always thought our minor league team should be in NJ. It also extends the Devils reach further south than putting them in South Amboy or New Brunswick (two places discussed in the past) which is a good thing.

I'm sure the people in Albany will be pissed and I definately feel bad for them, but the Rats attendance has been terrible (I know the team has not been much better).
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#11 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 01:04 PM

I feel bad for Albany Rats fans too, but the team in NJ is much better for the Devils. How many Rats fans have season tickets to the Devils? Just too far away to support both teams.
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#12 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:13 PM

OMG, that would be so awesome living in Toms River, I'd go to a lot of games!

#13 Jerzzegirl

Jerzzegirl

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:22 PM

OMG, that would be so awesome living in Toms River, I'd go to a lot of games!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, I like very close to Lakewood and this is a stone's throw away. The Blueclaws is already so much fun, a great family acitivity, and this would be supremely awesome to have a rink so close by.

Hi everyone

Jerzzegirl-+

#14 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,593 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:44 PM

I think Jimmy has been mentioning this for months.

If it is near the Blue Claws stadium that's a great spot...down the road from my car dealer...well used to be before I moved!

I hope they do it! What would they call the team though? Lakewood River Rats doesn't sound right. Lakewood Blue Devils to go with the Blue Claws?
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#15 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:18 PM

I think it would be a great idea.....

The only con I see is that the fans may be drawn away fromo actually going to Devils games. It's a weird thing...i think it's a great way to get new fans, which is clearly needed, but will it draw away from NJ?

#16 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,593 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:29 PM

That may happen but it may even create more NJ fans.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#17 Voros19

Voros19

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:57 PM

O well... -_-

"This is the first I'm hearing of this," said John Scherzer, a team vice president.

wtf?
Posted Image

Enjoy your dream world. It's on schedule to come crashing down on or about November 1.

#18 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:59 PM

Yup, Scherzer was promoted to Vice President of Communications in August 2002, according to his bio on the Rats' site.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#19 Voros19

Voros19

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:10 PM

Yup, Scherzer was promoted to Vice President of Communications in August 2002, according to his bio on the Rats' site.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

O, of communications. That's different then. I thought they meant like head honcho type VP.

I don't see how this move could happen this year, though. They don't even have a stadium built. Could it be done in 10 months?
Posted Image

Enjoy your dream world. It's on schedule to come crashing down on or about November 1.

#20 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:23 PM

O, of communications. That's different then. I thought they meant like head honcho type VP.

I suppose it's possible, depending on how you read it. His actual title says simply "Vice President" (as opposed to the VP of sales, which reads "Vice President, Sales"), but his bio explicity mentions the communications department. He may have been promoted to a head honcho-type of VP when they integrated front offices with the Conquest, I don't really know.

I don't see how this move could happen this year, though. They don't even have a stadium built. Could it be done in 10 months?

I don't see this happening in time for next season. Maybe the year after, though. We'll see how long they renew their agreement for after this season, if they even do that. (Lou may decide to scatter his few real prospects to the wind next year or go halfsies with another team, though it doesn't really sound like something he'd do.)

And if this does come to fruition... well, what am I supposed to say? It was only a matter of time before the Rats were going to be at a crossroads, although the general feeling was that the owner would give up before the Devils did. Who knows, maybe I'll finally buy Center Ice.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users