• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:51 PM

According to TSN.ca:

Hatcher named acting captain of Flyers
Associated Press
1/29/2006 4:46:17 PM

VOORHEES, N.J. (AP) - Derian Hatcher is the new acting captain for the struggling Philadelphia Flyers.

He replaces captain Keith Primeau, who is out indefinitely with a concussion.

Hatcher previously served as captain of the Dallas Stars and wore the "C" during the team's Stanley Cup championship in 1999.

The Flyers have been without a designated captain since Primeau was sidelined Oct. 30. Hatcher is the 14th captain in the franchise's 39-year history, a number that includes two stints by now-general manager Bobby Clarke.

After Saturday night's 6-0 loss to Tampa Bay, the Flyers have lost seven of 10, including five of six at home.

Hatcher and Primeau met with Clarke and coach Ken Hitchcock on Sunday.

"I think it's something that (Hitchcock) and some of the players felt that, with some of what's been going on, that there needed to be a captain, a voice in the room that represents the team," Hatcher said.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/ne...869&hubname=nhl
---
Kind of reminds me of when we named Niedermayer acting Captain when Stevens went down with the PCS. Wonder if Primeau is done for the year...I mean, he's been out since October now, doesn't sound like he's returning anytime soon, especially with Hatcher being named acting Captain.

Edited by RD, 29 January 2006 - 06:51 PM.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#2 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:58 PM

This is interesting especially since Clarke had also said that if Primeau wasn't back after the Olympics, he wasn't coming back at all this year, not even for the playoffs if he were better then, because he wouldn't have played for almost 2 years (the amount he played in the beginning of the year isn't enough to matter). So he didn't even want to wait until then to name someone. Either Primeau knows he's not coming back or things are SO bad they can't take the chance to let it go even that next little bit.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#3 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:07 PM

I really think this has a lot to do with the current slide the Flyers are on, Hitch recognizes there needs to be a change somewhere.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#4 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:45 PM

I think Primeau is done, PERIOD. This is a smart move by Philly, Hatcher give the Flyers no-name defense an identity. Hatcher is a good leader in the Stevens mold (NOT Saying he plays as well as the Captain, but in the same mold).
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#5 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:58 PM

I think Primeau is done, PERIOD. This is a smart move by Philly, Hatcher give the Flyers no-name defense an identity. Hatcher is a good leader in the Stevens mold (NOT Saying he plays as well as the Captain, but in the same mold).

Yup, Hatcher almost NEVER elbows anyone!

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

#6 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:03 PM

great move, i thought either gags or hatcher would get it.
Posted Image

Hahahaha...long overdue. Now they need to get rid of Jacobs.

The problem is, NJ only plays them 4 times a year. We were only able to get them to trade JT and fire the idiot GM. If we played them 8 times a year, maybe Jacobs might have an epiphany and sell the team.

#7 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:36 PM

there is NO WAY Gagne would ever be considered for a Captains C.

It would have gone to Forsberg, Johnsson, even Desjardins and several others before Gagne. Bobby Clarke would NEVER allow that.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#8 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,307 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:51 PM

Interesting move. I guess Primeau's done.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#9 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:01 PM

It would have gone to Forsberg, Johnsson, even Desjardins and several others before Gagne. Bobby Clarke would NEVER allow that.

Forsberg can't consistantly stay in the lineup, why would they ever pick him?

#10 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:02 PM

Because when healthy he is their best player.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#11 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:03 PM

Sure, but that doesn't make him a Captain.

#12 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,615 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:21 PM

Sure, but that doesn't make him a Captain.

*coughPatrikEliascough*
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#13 L

L

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:33 PM

It is a smart move to name a Captain, but I'm somewhat surprised that it wasn't someone who has been with the team longer...although I suppose Hitchcock and Hatcher know each other very well.
Posted Image

#14 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:08 PM

ya...i don't think you know what you're talking about.
gags wore the C during the preseason and hitch has an affinity towards gags. he's wears an A. Say what you will about him being a spare part on the forsberg line, but he does things other than score and works as hard as anybody else which really makes him a hitchcock favorite.

forsberg has an A as well. johnsson wears an A, but with his brutally inconsitent play this years i doubt he'd get a C. Dejardins has played 18 games this year....and he has been given an offer for the C before and turned it down.

forsberg has only been out for an extended period of time once, for 6 games.

the people who wore an A this year were gags, forsberg, johnsson, hatcher, zeus, and dejardins

thinking it over, zeus deserved the C over hatcher...but both are great choices. zeus has been one of the most underrated players for the past few years. an amazing force at both ends. His scoring touch is lacking, but he is a great play maker and cycler of the puck downlow.

Edited by bruins4777, 29 January 2006 - 10:11 PM.

Posted Image

The problem is, NJ only plays them 4 times a year. We were only able to get them to trade JT and fire the idiot GM. If we played them 8 times a year, maybe Jacobs might have an epiphany and sell the team.

#15 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:20 PM

*coughPatrikEliascough*

I don't think the team's best player should always be the captain -- it's the best leader.

#16 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,410 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:21 PM

*coughPatrikEliascough*

Who says he's the best player on the Devils? Although he's more or less the best player among those eligible to wear the C :P

Besides RD's point wasn't that being the best player precludes you from being captain, just that it alone doesn't make you captain.

As far as the Flyers I'm not surprised they made Hatcher captain though it's not really ideal when a guy that's been there half a year becomes captain when they have other vets around, I understand why they did it especially with the Hitch connection.

Edited by Hasan4978, 29 January 2006 - 10:22 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#17 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:23 PM

Who says he's the best player on the Devils? Although he's more or less the best player among those eligible to wear the C :P

Besides RD's point wasn't that being the best player precludes you from being captain, just that it alone doesn't make you captain.

automatically making your best player your captain can really backfire sometimes...

*cough*joethornton*cough*expectationswaytoohigh*cough*retardedgm*
cough*
Posted Image

#18 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:24 PM

I think some of you guys need some cough medicine.

#19 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:24 PM

automatically making your best player your captain can really backfire sometimes...

*cough*joethornton*cough*expectationswaytoohigh*cough*retardedgm*
cough*

Next season: Sidney Crosby.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#20 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,410 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:27 PM

Next season: Sidney Crosby.

I'm surprised they haven't made him captain NOW with Mario's retirement :P

(Do they have one yet or are they going leader-less too...not like anyone really cares anyway they suck with or without a captain :lol:)
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users