Photo

French and German papers run Danish Islam cartoons ... Muslims pissed.

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 MaddDog

MaddDog

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 07:01 PM

Well, the latest news is that thousands of Syrians went on a rampage in Damascus. They set the Danish and Norwegian embassies on fire and tried to burn them to the ground. No overreaction, huh :lol: Get over it already. So what happens if their irrational violence KILLS someone one of these days?? :blink: IDIOTS (I know how some love that word here!).

Btw, I do kind of feel that the Evangelicals have essentially hijacked the Republican party here in recent years. Not every right winger is ultra religious or against abortion or gay rights, yet Bush kisses the born again's asses (and is one himself).

#42 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:51 PM

the pure ignorance and blind hatred that is so common in middle east is INSANE.
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#43 Devilish34

Devilish34

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,324 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:54 PM

the pure ignorance and blind hatred that is so common in middle east is INSANE.

Nuke their ass and take their gas.

Middle East = Camden,NJ

86 the Kool Ade -- we need some fvcking icewater for these pussies

Posted ImageRIP Bill 1931-2007
RIP Major/Dr. John Paul Pryor killed in Iraq on 12/25/08. You will be greatly missed and can never be replaced.
What Happened To Dr Pryor?

You might be a Redneck if you brag about running a 11.57@118.14Posted Image

#44 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:16 PM

How so?

The doctrine of Christ, interpreted literally, is incompatible with the ideals of capitalism. People are too busy storing up treasure on earth to think about treasure in Heaven. Yet Christ leaves the door open for interpretation on the part of all believers - the 'rules' in Christianity are general maxims, not codified law. Following all of what Christ teaches is probably impossible, regardless. I'm not taking the stupid liberal point of saying, 'well, Christians act against such and such a passage so they're all hypocrites and liars' - that is one of the most dishonest and arrogant arguments that exists.

Islam will have to undergo a similar change in order to shift to democracy. Religious orthodoxy is incompatible with democracy - it will inevitably lead to tyranny against non-believers.

I really don't see what's so difficult about this.

Well, the latest news is that thousands of Syrians went on a rampage in Damascus. They set the Danish and Norwegian embassies on fire and tried to burn them to the ground. No overreaction, huh :lol: Get over it already. So what happens if their irrational violence KILLS someone one of these days?? :blink: IDIOTS (I know how some love that word here!).

Btw, I do kind of feel that the Evangelicals have essentially hijacked the Republican party here in recent years. Not every right winger is ultra religious or against abortion or gay rights, yet Bush kisses the born again's asses (and is one himself).

Of *course* they overreacted. Mob behavior is always an overreaction and always irrational. I don't see what you want out of this.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#45 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:11 PM

Don't you guys get it? Humanity is fundamentaly hypocritcal. All of us are. It's what enables us to accomplish our goals and do what we truly desire. If the entire world, christian, muslim, jewish, rich, poor could come to grips with this simple fact then all of us could come together in a glorious celebration of togetherness. Humanity as a whole could come to grips with its failings and celebrate them as they are what makes us so beautiful.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#46 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:33 PM

I've always said hypocrisy is my religion.
Posted Image

#47 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,504 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:02 PM

http://apnews.myway..../D8FLHEKG0.html

Cartoon Protesters Direct Anger at U.S.

By NOOR KHAN

(AP) An Afghan man stands near a truck set on fire by protesters as a US helicopter patrols near a U.S....

QALAT, Afghanistan (AP) - Police killed four people Wednesday as Afghans enraged over drawings of the Prophet Muhammad marched on a U.S. military base in a volatile southern province, directing their anger not against Europe but America.

The U.S. base was targeted because the United States "is the leader of Europe and the leading infidel in the world," said Sher Mohammed, a 40-year-old farmer who suffered a gunshot wound while taking part in the demonstration in the city of Qalat.

"They are all the enemy of Islam. They are occupiers in our country and must be driven out," Mohammed said.

Wednesday's violence began when hundreds of protesters tried to storm the U.S. base, said Ghulam Nabi Malakhail, a provincial police chief. When warning shots failed to deter them, police shot into the crowd, killing four and wounding 11, he said.

Flying rocks injured eight police and one Afghan soldier, he said.

Two Pakistanis arrested for allegedly firing at police were being questioned to see whether they were linked to al-Qaida, Malakhail said. Some officials accuse al-Qaida of inciting three days of bloody riots across Afghanistan that have left 11 dead.

Protesters also burned three fuel tankers waiting to deliver gasoline to the base, said Malakhail. He said U.S. troops fired warning shots into the air.

U.S. military spokesman Col. James Yonts said the American forces fired flares above the crowd, but he said it was not clear whether they fired their weapons.

Muslims around the world have demonstrated over the images - including one depicting the prophet wearing a turban shaped as a bomb - printed in Western media. Islam is interpreted to forbid any illustrations of the prophet.

In Baghdad, Iraq's top Shiite political leader criticized attacks on foreign embassies by Muslims.

"We value and appreciate peaceful Islamic protests," said Abdul Aziz al-Hakim. "But we are against the idea of attacking embassies and other official sites."

In the West Bank, about 300 Palestinians overpowered a Palestinian police detail and attacked an international observer mission in the city of Hebron.

Sixty members of the mission were inside, said Gunhild Forselv, spokeswoman for the Temporary International Presence in Hebron. A few protesters forced their way in, where unarmed observers waved clubs in an attempt to drive them off. Police reinforcements eventually restored order.

Muslims also demonstrated in Indian-controlled Kashmir, Bangladesh, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and in Turkey.

In Washington, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice accused Iran and Syria of instigating protests in their countries, and President Bush called upon governments to stop the violence and protect the lives of diplomats overseas.

The United States and other countries were looking into whether extremist groups may be inciting protesters to riot, said Yonts, the U.S. spokesman in Afghanistan.

Iranian vice president Isfandiar Rahim Mashaee rejected Rice's assertion that Iran was inflaming Muslim anger over the cartoons. "That is 100 percent a lie," Mashaee said in Jakarta, Indonesia. "It is without attribution."

Zahor Afghan, editor for Erada, Afghanistan's most respected newspaper, said the riots in his country have surprised him.

"No media in Afghanistan has published or broadcast pictures of these cartoons. The radio has been reporting on it, but there are definitely people using this to incite violence against the presence of foreigners in Afghanistan," he said.

Afghans who rioted Wednesday said they heard about the cartoons on the radio but none questioned had seen printed versions.

"The radio is talking about them all the time. Everybody heard about them this way," said 28-year-old shopkeeper Ramatullah, who uses only name.

Wednesday's riot erupted despite an appeal from Afghanistan's top Islamic organization, the Ulama Council, for an end to the violence.

"Islam says it's all right to demonstrate but not to resort to violence. This must stop," senior cleric Mohammed Usman told The Associated Press. "We condemn the cartoons but this does not justify violence. These rioters are defaming the name of Islam."

In France, President Jacques Chirac asked media to avoid offending religious beliefs as another French newspaper reprinted the caricatures. The satirical French weekly Charlie-Hebdo also printed a new drawing under the headline "Muhammad Overwhelmed by the Fundamentalists" that showed the prophet with his head in his hands, remarking, "It's hard to be loved by idiots."
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#48 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:11 PM

Don't you guys get it? Humanity is fundamentaly hypocritcal. All of us are. It's what enables us to accomplish our goals and do what we truly desire. If the entire world, christian, muslim, jewish, rich, poor could come to grips with this simple fact then all of us could come together in a glorious celebration of togetherness. Humanity as a whole could come to grips with its failings and celebrate them as they are what makes us so beautiful.

Time to hijack this thread...

I agree with this - kind of. Hypocrisy is a fundamental aspect of humanity - or rather, the ability to say one thing and do the opposite. Recognizing that hypocrisy is fundamental isn't the last step though - for we still need an ability to praise or blame. Don't we? I mean, if we could pass off so much of what is hypocritical as 'necessary', then what becomes of morality in general? Saying one thing and doing another is fundamentally 'immoral' or 'wrong' - how can this problem be resolved?

#49 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,618 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:18 PM

Ann Coulter decides to get her two cents in:

CALVIN AND HOBBES -- AND MUHAMMAD

By Ann Coulter
Wed Feb 8, 8:16 PM ET

As my regular readers know, I've long been skeptical of the "Religion of Peace" moniker for Muslims -- for at least 3,000 reasons right off the top of my head. I think the evidence is going my way this week.

The culture editor of a newspaper in Denmark suspected writers and cartoonists were engaging in self-censorship when it came to the Religion of Peace. It was subtle things, like a Danish comedian's statement, paraphrased by The New York Times, "that he had no problem urinating on the Bible but that he would not dare do the same to the Quran."

So, after verifying that his life insurance premiums were paid up, the editor expressly requested cartoons of Muhammad from every cartoonist with a Danish cartoon syndicate. Out of 40 cartoonists, only 10 accepted the invitation, most of them submitting utterly neutral drawings with no political content whatsoever.

But three cartoons made political points.

One showed Muhammad turning away suicide bombers from the gates of heaven, saying "Stop, stop -- we ran out of virgins!" -- which I believe was a commentary on Muslims' predilection for violence. Another was a cartoon of Muhammad with horns, which I believe was a commentary on Muslims' predilection for violence. The third showed Muhammad with a turban in the shape of a bomb, which I believe was an expression of post-industrial ennui in a secular -- oops, no, wait: It was more of a commentary on Muslims' predilection for violence.

In order to express their displeasure with the idea that Muslims are violent, thousands of Muslims around the world engaged in rioting, arson, mob savagery, flag-burning, murder and mayhem, among other peaceful acts of nonviolence.

Muslims are the only people who make feminists seem laid-back.

The little darlings brandish placards with typical Religion of Peace slogans, such as: "Behead Those Who Insult Islam," "Europe, you will pay, extermination is on the way" and "Butcher those who mock Islam." They warn Europe of their own impending 9/11 with signs that say: "Europe: Your 9/11 will come" -- which is ironic, because they almost had me convinced the Jews were behind the 9/11 attack.

The rioting Muslims claim they are upset because Islam prohibits any depictions of Muhammad -- though the text is ambiguous on beheadings, suicide bombings and flying planes into skyscrapers.

The belief that Islam forbids portrayals of Muhammad is recently acquired. Back when Muslims created things, rather than blowing them up, they made paintings, frescoes, miniatures and prints of Muhammad.

But apparently the Quran is like the Constitution: It's a "living document," capable of sprouting all-new provisions at will. Muslims ought to start claiming the Quran also prohibits indoor plumbing, to explain their lack of it. :rolleyes:

Other interpretations of the Quran forbid images of humans or animals, which makes even a child's coloring book blasphemous. That's why the Taliban blew up those priceless Buddhist statues, bless their innocent, peace-loving little hearts.

Largely unnoticed in this spectacle is the blinding fact that one nation is missing from the long list of Muslim countries (by which I mean France and England) with hundreds of crazy Muslims experiencing bipolar rage over some cartoons: Iraq. Hey -- maybe this democracy thing does work! The barbaric behavior of Europe's Muslims suggests that the European welfare state may not be attracting your top-notch Muslims.

Making the rash assumption for purposes of discussion that Islam is a religion and not a car-burning cult, even a real religion can't go bossing around other people like this.

Catholics aren't short on rules, but they couldn't care less if non-Catholics use birth control. Conservative Jews have no interest in forbidding other people from mixing meat and dairy. Protestants don't make a peep about other people eating food off one another's plates. (Just stay away from our plates -- that's disgusting.)

But Muslims think they can issue decrees about what images can appear in newspaper cartoons. Who do they think they are, liberals?
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#50 LetsGoDevils

LetsGoDevils

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:36 PM

Ann Coulter

:hail: :P
So Say We All

#51 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:34 PM

The funniest is that the New York Times refused to print the pictures that supposedlly blasphemied (sic?) Muhammad, yet they had no problem with printing pictures of the Virgin Mary with dung onher.....or the "Piss Christ"

Explain that one my liberal friends. Tell me how they aren't anti-Christian?
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#52 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,618 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:53 PM

It's not anti-Christian, Leeds, it's called "knowing that (most) Christians won't gather in public places, burn down buildings, and kill officials and random passersby over a picture". We know what freedom of the press is, even if we don't necessarily agree with their decisions.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#53 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:22 AM

So Christians can have their religion disgraced, because we won't riot like savages?

What Cristians are doing this that you allude to?
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#54 HelenaHandbasket

HelenaHandbasket

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:35 AM

Piss Christ was a minor glitch on the cultural radar that was created by a marginal artist; the same goes for the Mary work. Almost no one would have ever seen or heard of Piss Christ if Rudy Giuliani hadn't lost his ever-loving mind over it. These Danish cartoons, on the other hand, were commissioned by a major right-wing paper looking to cause trouble; it's instructive to note that the same editor who commissioned them turned down a series of cartoons of Jesus because he felt they were offensive to some segments of the Danish population. I can't blame the Times for not printing them because they don't make a satiric, political, or artistic point; they existed, from conception to now, solely to offend people.

#55 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:39 AM

What was that line Jack Nicholson said from "Mars Attacks" ? I believe it was "Why can't we just get along?"

Peter Gabriel did a beautiful rendition of "Imagine" at the Olympics opening ceremony. Hopefully someday. . . :pray:
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#56 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:32 AM

The funniest is that the New York Times refused to print the pictures that supposedlly blasphemied (sic?) Muhammad, yet they had no problem with printing pictures of the Virgin Mary with dung onher.....or the "Piss Christ"

Explain that one my liberal friends. Tell me how they aren't anti-Christian?

It's VERY, VERY, VERY simple. There is a passage in the Quran which prohibits ANY drawings of Mohummad - no matter whether it is a positive depiction or negative.

I've read the bible and I don't remember any passage prohibiting drawings of the Virgin Mary - positive or negative.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#57 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:52 AM

BTW - my french class went to the Canadian War Museum yesterday. Since there is someone from National Defence in the class, we got the VIP tour and were allowed into special exhibit room - the propaganda room. I thought it was VERY interesting.

We were checking out the posters from WWII, and the guide told us that BOTH sides were guilty of making racist propoganda.

The Italians had posters of a dumb looking stereotype-enhanced (BIG lips) black fighter pilot with the caption "THIS is a liberator?"

But back here in North America, most of our posters contained drawings of Japanese with bad buck teeth, evil squinty eyes with titles like "Harikari isn't the best way to kill the Jap problem".

So printing racist cartoons isn't anything new at all. First, it emboldens the hatred on both sides. Second, usually the reaction to the racism only serves to embolden the hatred on both sides.

#58 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:51 AM

The excuses never end.................

...........no wonder we're on the brink of extermination.

You have to hate your enemy to defeat them.

They HATE us, we offer excuses for them.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#59 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 09:43 AM

*FINALLY* you admit that you hate Muslims.

#60 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:16 AM

The excuses never end.................

...........no wonder we're on the brink of extermination.

You have to hate your enemy to defeat them.

They HATE us, we offer excuses for them.

You have to identify your enemy first - identify that it's not Islam, but Islamic extremism being fomented by economic conditions whose root cause may be xenophobia and years of isolation and domination.

It's possible that 'they' hate 'us'. But as Don is rightly noting, there was tons of propaganda against both sides in WWII. Could you say that Japanese people hate us or that we hate Japanese people now? Another personal anecdote - my grandfather fought in WWII and refers to most Asian people derisively as 'Japs'. At my high school graduation, the person I chose to have my name called with was born in Japan. Propaganda melts away and people forget over time - if they have better things to do. That's why creating economies that are able to function on something other than oil is imperative. This little Iraq experiment, if it works, could spur that in other nations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users