13 replies to this topic

#1 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 01:12 PM

Scandinavia is such a hotbed for hockey, as the NHL has so many good Swedish and Finnish players. What's up with Norway? Don't the kids play hockey there? Anyone who has some insight on this, I'm interested in what you have to say.

#2 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:41 PM

No takers on this one? :noclue:

#3 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,220 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:43 PM

Good question but I don't know the answer. Though Norway seems to be doing great in all the other winter sports. Maybe its just not popular?

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#4 Belizarius

Belizarius

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:30 PM

Norway likes soccer and biathlon a lot...
Probably more than hockey I think...
Still, Norway managed the hat trick last year, earning promotion to elite group in seniors, U-20 and U-18. But the U-20 is already back in B-pool... and they failed for Olympics, as Latvia scored several late goals to come back and win the decisive game...
Diable Noir

Posted Image

#5 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,586 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:36 PM

That's a tough question, Jerry - I saw it earlier in the day and was going to make believe I knew the answer, but I really don't know. There are professional hockey leagues in Norway - there was an NHLer from Norway, even. But the Norwegian pro league is nowhere near the Swedish or Finnish - however, this is the effect and not the cause.

I wonder if Swede or someone else can answer how much government spending goes into youth hockey in Sweden and Finland? It may be as simple as that - but again that could be effect and not cause.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#6 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:08 PM

Scandinavia is such a hotbed for hockey, as the NHL has so many good Swedish and Finnish players. What's up with Norway? Don't the kids play hockey there? Anyone who has some insight on this, I'm interested in what you have to say.

Maybe because they go out & get "lilly hammered" too often? I know that was bad, and theres a lot more where that came from. :-)

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#7 jursylegnd

jursylegnd

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:10 AM

Maybe they figure they are so far behind the eight ball at this point, why bother?
Anyone know why the Chinese or Japanese dont produce any hockey players?
I have always said that hockey is hard to put out there cause unlike basketball or baseball you need a specific place to play it. But China and Japan both contain alot of cold climates so whats the deal?
"We were on a power play and I went where I always go, I took a whack (from Joseph) and then another. The first one I can accept but when he came at my head I figured it was enough." -Randy McKay
Posted Image

#8 MaddDog

MaddDog

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:05 AM

Well, I'm no expert on this topic or anything, but since I DO know someone in Norway and I've visited the country once, I'll add my two cents.

I asked my friend a while back and she said that basically Norwegians are too into cross country skiing and those types of winter sports to devote as much time to hockey. It's certainly played there and they do have professional leagues, but they aren't as die-hard about it like Swedes or Finns. Same thing with the Danes, I guess. Maybe it's more like a hobby than a serious competitive sport? I dunno, I'll pick her brain again about it. :lol:

Edited by MaddDog, 17 February 2006 - 01:05 AM.

#9 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:54 AM

yeah i seriously ask myself this question all the time. sweden and finland are RIGHT THERE and they love hockey its wierd for norway not to have a good amount of pro's.... actually does anyone know any norwegians in the nhl? id be interested to know who

#10 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,004 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:11 AM

Not too long ago the Blues drafted a Norwegian named Thor Vikingstad, I thought it was a joke but that's his real name.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#11 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:13 AM

Not too long ago the Blues drafted a Norwegian named Thor Vikingstad, I thought it was a joke but that's his real name.

I think Espen Knutsen is Norweigen, too.

#12 Belizarius

Belizarius

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:55 AM

Knutsen retired from the NHL a few years back, he wasn't the same after the puck incident that killed a young girl...
He played in the NHL All-Star Games also.

The lone Norwegian in the NHL today is D Ole-Kristian Tollefsen from Columbus I think. There's a few guys who played juniors in Canada (Patrick Thoresen, Joakim Jensen, Mattis Olimb...)
Diable Noir

Posted Image

#13 Swede

Swede

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 05:28 AM

Well, its about culture. in norway it isn't played as much and there aren't as many rinks. The same goes for denmark. also, sweden and finland are extremes, almost all swedes play soccer and hockey growing up, if you look at it it's pretty impressive that a country with 9 mil (6-7 for finland) people can produce that many elite hockey players. (and soccer, and tracks, and tennis, and golf, and ... ... ...)

In norway skiing, and in the summer soccer, are the no1 sports.

#14 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:29 AM

Thanks, Swede.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users