33 replies to this topic

#21 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 03:59 PM

Dunham's GAA with Ranger is 2.16 - very good!
I told my "Rags fan" friend when they got Dunham, that they would make the playoffs this year.
Then they had that December swoon, so that made it real tough to do. They will have to win alot in the remaining 30 games to make it, but its possible.

I remember back in '88, no one thought we could make it, then Devs went on 7-0-1 run, and won in OT on last game of season to make playoffs - and who did we bump out - oh yeah, the Rangers...

#22 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,391 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 04:04 PM

hey uni - was a fullout concussion vomit or was it just a little acid reflux belch type vomit? :lol: Man that's gross -- if he barfed on me a) I'd make him lick it up B ) I'd probably barf right back on him -- think boogers would work? It'd be easier to blow boogers on him than yack i think. Think the league would get you for unsportsmanly conduct if you did the old booger blow on someone? I can see the replays now! heehee

what am I - 2? I hope I grow up some after punkin is born!

I'm here for the party

#23 unibrow

unibrow

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 05:26 PM

I'm not sure PK, on the severity of the vomit. The article just stated: "Lindros even, according to several eyewitnesses, tossed his cookies on Shawn Bates during the game - talk about intimidation." And unfortunately I didn't see a replay of it. I've gotta tell you though, I really enjoyed watching this game. It's funny to hear all the commentators talking about how it's turning into Bobby's team. And it pretty much is. If Rangers make the play-offs this year, they'll make Holik captain when Messier retires. That's my prediction anyway. Did anyone envision a season for Holik where he sat out most of the first half, and then came back to center the first line while bumping Lindros to his wing??? Weird stuff.

#24 HarbingerOfSorrow

HarbingerOfSorrow

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 07:36 PM

"Rangers" and "playoff hopes" should never be used in the same sentence.

#25 bg.

bg.

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 08:04 AM

When you think of Lindros and the Flyers the one guy you think of him playing with is LeClair. You think Legion of Doom, you think of huge guys working down low, scoring garbage goals. The Rangers (like most teams) do not have a winger who is anywhere close to LeClair in skill or size or style. The only guy who has those attributes is Holik. Although the injury to Bure and poor play by #88 prompted this, a Lindros-Holik pair makes more sense than does a Lindros-Bure pair.

More than Dunham's GAA (which is very impressive) he is solid. He makes the saves he should make, along with some he shouldn't. He keeps his team in the game, and can win the occasional game on his own.

#26 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 09:26 AM

I think it is a temporary streak which will hopefully coming to a crashing end shortly. :evil:
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#27 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 06:42 PM

As soon as Leetch & Bure come back the chemistry will be thrown out the window and the Rag$ will come back to earth.

They will become the team that sucked when Bure and Leetch were healthy.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#28 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 07:12 PM

I really do think the worst thing that can happen is the young guys don't play when those two come back.

#29 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 07:46 PM

A final point to consider is that something like 12 of next 16 games for Rags are on the road.
Y-T-D Season-to-date Avg for NHL road teams is .492

They truly need to play at a .600 clip over final 30-32 games to make playoffs.
They are a real darkhorse and the heavy road schedule reduces the odds further. There will be no backing into playoffs for them. If they make it, then they earned it - but we'll still kick their asses if we meet.

They may still have a guy named Mike in goal - but Mr. Dunham is not the greatest U.S. born goalie ever - Mr. Richter is.

#30 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 09:31 PM

I doubt very seriously Leetch coming back would be a poisonous influence. Bure? Eh, I guess after seeing the effect Lindros had on the Flyers in the 2000 ECF I suppose it's possible though on paper he'd sure help them.

I hate to say it I wouldn't automatically dismiss them as the Same Ol' Ranger$ anymore. They were playing well for a couple weeks before the injuries hit too, then they bottomed out for a while and now they've found their game again. They're playing hard for once, Dunny's been a rock for them, and they've "committed to a system". And I never thought Trottier was gonna be just another loser like Low, Campbell, Muckler either.

Really I hope I'm wrong but this team sure looks like a playoff team now. I know they're still a few points down, but it's not as if the teams they're chasing are all that great either. I just hope to heck if they do make the playoffs they play Ottawa (provided Ottawa shows up for that series), since all the pressure on the world would be on the Devs in that series.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#31 bg.

bg.

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 08:32 AM

That's the thing...all the teams they are chasing (including themselves) have flaws. With their point total (and getting Hackett) the only one I can honestly say is looking very good to make the playoffs is Boston, everyone else is VERY bunched.

When Bure comes back he will most likely get the spot currently occupied by Dvorak on Nedved's right. That cannot be anything but positive.

Will be interesting to see what happens to their D once they all get healthy. A guy like Bouchard who has played well might be the odd man out. He certainly will not play over Leetch, Poti, Malakhov, Mirionov, or Kasparatis. That's only one spot, for him, Purinton, Cross, Lefebve, etc.

#32 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 01:22 PM

i want the rangers to lose every game for the rest of the year and the rest of their existence. i want them to miss the playoffs so pathetically they are even easier to laugh at. is it just me?

oh yeah, and i want holik to burn. i want him to cry when the devils win the cup and the rangers are out golfing.

going to a winning team my ass.

bitter much? :evil:

:clap: we be on the same page sheepy :clap:
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#33 unibrow

unibrow

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 05:17 PM

Anyone else notice that Holik did the same knock over the goalie trick on Vokoun? Gosh, he really is feeling good these days, getting to know new people and all.

#34 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 06:22 PM

last year's cutoff: 87

rangers haved played 51 games for 49 points

51 82
--- = ---
49 x

51x = (49)(82)

51x = 4018

x = 4018/51

x = 78.78 POINTS!

the rangers are on track for 79 POINTS! jesus guys, every ranger fan i know is jumping up and down because they're "in playoff contention"...

NOPE. they're going to have to have a hell of a run the next 31 games. they'd have to get 38 points to equal montreal's 8th place spot last year.

fact is, 51 GAMES PLAYED. they are the ONLY team in the league to play 51 games. we have played 5 less games than them. THAT'S A LOT.

they've gone 6-3-1 in their last ten. if they kept up that would be 18-9-3 plus one left over... yes they would be in, but that would be with maintaining their current record.

they meet up with the flyers and us 3 times each in the next 31. the flyers and us are the only ones to have 8 or more wins in the last 10 in the eastern conference. hopefully we can help diminish any hopes they have of making the eighth berth.

stardew, we agree wholeheartedly. BURN RANGERS BURN!!!!!!!!!!!

:evil:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users