43 replies to this topic

#41 IceThief

IceThief

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:38 PM

[Still, if they can't rig it for the Americans to win, it's not worth it - it gets zero press and interrupts the season for no reason - no one cares about Finland and Russia in the US.]

If that's the reason that the NHL went into Olympic competition, with the idea that the gold medal winner would have to be a North American team (Canada or the United States), then they've just had their hearts broken and ice crystals kicked in their face. As for a Finland/Russia game not being cared about in the United States, so what? Americans don't care about anything but gold medals anyway. Anything less, even silver, is regarded as a complete, utter failure. No one cares about pros in the Olympics right now, because Teams USA and Canada both fell on their collective faces. No one cares about losers.

[A nice post Ice Thief. I'll give you another reason why the Olympics aren't doing well anymore here. Because too many people would rather watch silly shows like Dancing with Skates or whatever the hell it's called and American Idol.]

Indeed.

The programming of choice in the US right now is Dancing With The Stars, Skating With The Stars, American Idol, and any other idiotic piece of programming that comes down the pike. Hell, even Swimming With The Mermaids would be a HUGE HIT. :hah:

IceThief

Edited by IceThief, 02 March 2006 - 01:59 AM.

In honor of one of the greatest dmen to ever play the game, I remain to this day and forever after a lifetime member of the Scott Stevens Fan Club:

"If you ever had to describe what a Devil player would be," said Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello, "the name would be Scott Stevens."

"He was just huge," Devils left wing Patrik Elias said of walking into training camp the first time in 1995. "I was afraid of him. You had a 170-pound guy coming here and he was 220, 225 with these paws like a bear. I was pretty intimidated the first few years. I'm happy he was on my side the whole time."

#42 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,503 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:42 PM

I'm late to the party but the owners wouldn't want the players in the olympics because:

1) They are risking millions of dollars in investments in their players

2) It diminishes how big the playoffs are because you have this huge event in the olympics so close to it.

So the owners get no financial benefit from this because the league still ends up with just hardcore fans watching, as usual, and the owners now how to deal with this crappy schedule and players who are hurt and possibly lower attendace resulting from stars missing games, or missing playoff rounds due to losing a key player is also a possibility in the future. No owner wants those things for this intangible "marketing" which I can't see having done anything for the league ever.

Edited by Devils731, 01 March 2006 - 11:42 PM.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#43 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:51 PM

I'm late to the party but the owners wouldn't want the players in the olympics because:

1) They are risking millions of dollars in investments in their players

2) It diminishes how big the playoffs are because you have this huge event in the olympics so close to it.

So the owners get no financial benefit from this because the league still ends up with just hardcore fans watching, as usual, and the owners now how to deal with this crappy schedule and players who are hurt and possibly lower attendace resulting from stars missing games, or missing playoff rounds due to losing a key player is also a possibility in the future. No owner wants those things for this intangible "marketing" which I can't see having done anything for the league ever.

The NHL marketing is pretty straightforward. Get people to watch the pros so they can be dazzled by their moves and abilities. Lord knows that ESPN and other sports outlets don't spend any time on the NHL, so the Olympics is a great stage to get free publicity for the league. I mean, they get people to watch downhill skiing and curling just because it's for a gold medal - try putting that crap on any other time in the next 4 years and we'll see how NBC's ratings do. On the other hand, NHL hockey is right there in most metropolitan cities.

It's not a bad plan. Problem is, people just aren't that interested - the US has no natural enemy in hockey anymore. And the same thing applies to hockey as it does to curling and downhill skiing - people who pick it up during the Olympics won't watch it for another 4 years.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#44 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,120 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:22 AM

well it depends on the sport. Curling, no. But downhill skiing can find a niche because it's exciting, it's fast, it's dangerous as hell, and it's pretty. Who though fat people sitting at a table playing cards would work? How many "world series" of poker do they have to show? doesn't it lose some prestige?
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users