152 replies to this topic

#121 mddevsfan

mddevsfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:40 AM

I just dont think you get anything much better for suglobov and both GMs know it. We got what we could for him and that's better than nothing. I think if Lou wanted Witt (and McPhee wasn't asking something outrageous), then lou would have gotten him.

I agree 100%
"The Devils always find a way to win. That will continue." - Scott Stevens

#122 NJD Jester

NJD Jester

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,719 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:42 AM

A little late to the party...

Klee is a solid citizen. All the Caps fans I've been talking to down here in DC think this is a great trade.

As for Suggy...listen, there have been 1,000 Suggy-types that have gone through the Devils under Lou. How many wingers "should have been given a chance" and then left and then never amounted to anything. In the early 1990s, it was centers like Jason Miller and Skalde. Over the last several years, it's been wingers like Suggy.

<JESTER>
Posted Image

"Glow Pucks & 10-Cent Beer: The 101 Worst Ideas in Sports History" is available now online and at local bookstores.

Get your NJD fan stories published in Hell & Back: A People's History Of The New Jersey Devils. Visit The Hell & Back Homepage for details!

#123 GA Devil

GA Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:22 PM

I won't go into the perceived plusses and minuses of this trade, but I find it kind of funny that the Leafs lose Czerkawki on waivers and then turn around and basically pick up his clone in a trade.
Let the celebration begin in the Daneyko household!!!!

#124 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:06 PM

A little late to the party...

Klee is a solid citizen. All the Caps fans I've been talking to down here in DC think this is a great trade.

As for Suggy...listen, there have been 1,000 Suggy-types that have gone through the Devils under Lou. How many wingers "should have been given a chance" and then left and then never amounted to anything. In the early 1990s, it was centers like Jason Miller and Skalde. Over the last several years, it's been wingers like Suggy.

<JESTER>

Yeah...this deal reminds me a little bit of the Paul Ysebeart (sp?) for Lee Norwood trade...Ysebeart had a huge offensive year for Utica (something like 50G and 50A, don't have time to look up the exact numbers), but was a defensive liability. Norwood didn't really distinguish himself as a Devil. Ysebeart had a couple of 30+ goal seasons with the Red Wings, then pretty much fizzled out. He never really lived up to expectations.

Devils have had lots of offensive players (minors) go bust or not do much in the NHL...Ysebeart, Kevin Todd, Denis Pederson (he was a scorer in the minors), among others.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#125 Darwindog

Darwindog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:37 PM

But Carney goes for a mere "future considerations" I guess I'm partial to Carney.. but it bugs me we gave up Sug for Klee now too... but it's better than loosing him for nothing... :noclue:

HMEHHH Blah... blah blah blah... blah kind of day....
A dog has the soul of a philosopher. --Plato
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. --Mark Twain

In case you wondered... I'm Pepperkorn's dog

#126 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:28 PM

Klee was # 22 on the Leafs.

What's here for him ? 12, 21 or 27 ???

#127 Joe B

Joe B

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:46 PM

This move is silly. When have these deadline deal trades for veteran dmen ever worked for lou?

Chambers comes to mind. Helped us in during the cup run, gave up what, semak? Didn't seem like a move to puut us over the top, but Along with broten, fit in well with the team and contributed. The devils always go by the philosphy of get quality players, and if you have enough, someone will step up at the right time.

The Klee trade is a 20 game + playoffs audition to see if we want him next year, while trying to help the team a bit this year. Every defensman was horrible early in the year(I thought too much was blamed on Malakov and McGilllis). Each defensman has been solid lately. AS for our second line, Elias getting healthy helps our second line. Actually, us having a solid fourth line should help us. Lou has brought back a hitting fourth line. Give the team a little spark, don't take penalties. Elias comes back, Marshall to 4'th line, Parise, Kozlov, Brylin. as the second line. Solid 4 lines. Key to the 'new nhl' is the powerplay.

If Klee fits in on the second pp unit and it produces, this trade is a steal. He ends up a healthy scratch every other game, then we havea problem. Probably end up somewhere in the middle.
Joe

#128 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,012 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

Remember this insignificant deal in Devils history? The Devils traded 24-year-old Alexander Suglobov who had played one NHL game that season and scored a goal in it. He would go on to play 16 more games in the NHL for the Leafs and never recorded a point. Klee, on the other hand, played 24 uneventful regular season and playoff games combined. No harm. No foul.   The thing is with these deals is we never really know who might have been dealt or not. For rentals, teams debate between different prospects, or between a pick or a prospect. Well with this deal we now know. A certain former Toronto Maple Leafs executive was being asked about Clarkson's hot start this year after his 30-goal season. He responded by saying that one of the reasons why he is not an executive anymore is that he had the final say on which Albany River Rats the Leafs wanted in return for Klee. The Devils were offering either Alexander Suglobov or David Clarkson. The rest is history. 

Edited by devilsrule33, 06 February 2013 - 08:03 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#129 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

I really liked Suglo, saw  him in the preseason game at trenton that year. I like Clarkson better though. Nice bump.

#130 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

wait what?? trading for another Dman?!? i'm hoping these two trades today are setting up another bigger trade... 

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#131 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

Hah, this thread is 5 years old man.

#132 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

ahahaha!! wtf?!? i am embarassed.. i did not see it got bumped.

jesus..

:doh1:

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#133 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,207 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

And people in this thread hated the deal for Suglobov...good god if they had taken Clarkson it could have wound up being ten times worse than the Sullivan-Gilmour deal that some people still haven't forgiven Lou for :P  Of course Clarkson didn't become what he has been the last two years until DeBoer came, before that people 'here' hated him cause of his contract.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#134 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

Talk about the Devils getting lucky. Reminds me of the A-Rod-Soriano trade...the Rangers could've had Cano but selected Joaquin Arias instead.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#135 Deke

Deke

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

ken klee might be the worst defenseman this team ever had on the roster. he made special needs defenseman kurtis foster look like paul coffey

Go Carp, go!
Salmonbellies rule!
Hit 'em harder cops!
But a hockey team called the Mighty Ducks?
Aw, man.

#136 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,582 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

Clarkson was an undrafted free agent who had a decent year in Albany but nothing great, and that was his first pro season after an undistinguished overage season in junior.  I don't blame him making that choice, but he did screw up.

And boy did I know nothing about hockey in 2006, haha.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#137 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,073 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

. 5? Try 7 years old! Lol.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#138 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

And boy did I know nothing about hockey in 2006, haha.

25 goals for Suglobov the next season?!

But props for the Fredo quote

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#139 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,982 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

hahah...Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate):

The Leafs have picked up one d and gotten rid of another...but they did steal Sublogov from NJ...he is a stud, and we are all shocked that Lou gave him up....this leaves Nashville, Vancouver and NJ to fight over Witt...

Shocker, Єklund (2.3% accurate) was wrong about that too lol

#140 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

Ken Klee.   Ugh.     The extent of his Kleefense was standing in front of Marty.    

The only thing I got out of him was using his last name as my fantasy team's name, like it was a verb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users