Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,904 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

25 goals for Suglobov the next season?!

But props for the Fredo quote

I winced too.  In fairness this was in 2006 when there were a ton of 25 goal scorers in the league and toronto had no forward depth.  If I'd said 20 I don't think it would've been so outrageous, but I guess I'm always drawn to hyperbole.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#142 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

This move is silly. When have these deadline deal trades for veteran dmen ever worked for lou? They always seem lost and a step slow in the system. So much so that Tommy albelin always ends up playing no matter what. Hell Ken Sutton was better suited at times than the scrubs lou brings in.

If suggs is not a part of the future plans at least trade him for something that IS.

I stand by this. Though after this Zidlicky and Salvador worked out well. Lukowich was pretty good too.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#143 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

Kleefense!

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#144 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,492 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:08 AM

Clarkson was an undrafted free agent who had a decent year in Albany but nothing great, and that was his first pro season after an undistinguished overage season in junior.  I don't blame him making that choice, but he did screw up.

And boy did I know nothing about hockey in 2006, haha.

That was before the days of Fenwicks and Corsis.

I had two responses in this thread...I honestly didn't remember how I felt about the deal at the time, so I scanned through the thread to see what I thought.  I wanted Sluggo to get a shot, but I was kind of "meh" about the whole thing.  I do remember thinking at the time that, since Sluggo was already 24 years old, he probably wouldn't do that much in the NHL, but I never thought he'd play just 16 more games at the NHL level and not record so much as a single point in those games.  If I were to put a number to it, I would've expected him to get at least 50+ games at the NHL level, probably closer to 100, with maybe 20-30 points...basically, he'd get a shot with the Leafs, not do that much with it, then fizzle out.     

Re:  Clarkson, the fact that he became an NHL regular was impressive enough, given his pedigree.  No one ever thought he'd score 37 goals over an 89-regular season game stretch.  That exec was supposed to have seen that coming 6 years after making his choice?  At that time, almost everyone would've thought Sluggo had the higher upside.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 07 February 2013 - 07:10 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#145 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

This is an invalid question. Obviously Suglobov is likely to be in the NHL whereas Klee will not be, but the Devils were getting rid of Suglobov regardless. You cannot evaluate prospect for veteran deals this way or else they will all look bad. The Devils are getting a better player for one not on their roster and one not in their future plans.

Who will be a better player in 5 years - Peter Forsberg or Cam Janssen?

I like the fact that even today the answer to this question is still Peter Forsberg.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#146 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,507 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

That was before the days of Fenwicks and Corsis.

I had two responses in this thread...I honestly didn't remember how I felt about the deal at the time, so I scanned through the thread to see what I thought.  I wanted Sluggo to get a shot, but I was kind of "meh" about the whole thing.  I do remember thinking at the time that, since Sluggo was already 24 years old, he probably wouldn't do that much in the NHL, but I never thought he'd play just 16 more games at the NHL level and not record so much as a single point in those games.  If I were to put a number to it, I would've expected him to get at least 50+ games at the NHL level, probably closer to 100, with maybe 20-30 points...basically, he'd get a shot with the Leafs, not do that much with it, then fizzle out.     

Re:  Clarkson, the fact that he became an NHL regular was impressive enough, given his pedigree.  No one ever thought he'd score 37 goals over an 89-regular season game stretch.  That exec was supposed to have seen that coming 6 years after making his choice?  At that time, almost everyone would've thought Sluggo had the higher upside.

I don't think anyone is really blaming the exec for that decision, but it obviously looks bad now, and he was proud enough to admit that.. These things happen all the time where one team benefits and the other suffers on a mistake with the wrong prospect. GMs and other higher ups live with the consequences. I could sit for hours listening to what could have beens and what not

For example, when the Devils traded for Kovalchuk, the Thrashers badly wanted Patrice Cormier as the prospect in the deal. He had just been suspended for the year, but he was on Canada's World Junior team the last two years and had just captained the last one. He was highly regarded. Lamoriello did not want to give him up and practically offered every other forward prospect the Devils had at the time. Adam Henrique was just a few months away from breaking out where he would score 20 goals in 19 OHL playoff games and 8 points in 4 Memorial Cup games. At the time Cormier was more highly regarded by the Devils. But the deal was only happening if Cormier was in it. It's been about 3 years, and Cormier has 2 points in 30 NHL games.

Edited by devilsrule33, 07 February 2013 - 11:33 AM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#147 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,343 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

That was before the days of Fenwicks and Corsis. (Would that they would return -- though Tri was just as prolific, just none of the "hard data" to back up his bravado)

I had two responses in this thread...I honestly didn't remember how I felt about the deal at the time, so I scanned through the thread to see what I thought.  I wanted Sluggo to get a shot, but I was kind of "meh" about the whole thing.

Yeah,  Was it you who wrote blah?  At the time I saw no downside to the move -- but no upside either.  just blah...  I'm thankful for Clarkson sake he got to stay here.  He's one of those special born to be a Devil players I love. 

I'm here for the party

#148 Z-Man

Z-Man

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

Yeah,  Was it you who wrote blah?  At the time I saw no downside to the move -- but no upside either.  just blah...  I'm thankful for Clarkson sake he got to stay here.  He's one of those special born to be a Devil players I love. 

And soon to be a UFA...and thanks to Lou's stance on not negotiating during the season, I'm sure he'll be gone.

#149 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,343 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

No, he won't - he knows he'd suck anywhere else.  No one would use him properly.  The sole reason for taking Clarkson would be to make the Devils worse.  To my mind there's no other motivation out there for any other team -  unless DeBoer leaves to coach elsewhere and wants Clarkson with him.

Some many interpreters are needed to communicate Clarkson's worth... it's insane.  Lou has really strong complete hockey minds - very multidimensional thinkers.  It's why so many fans get befuddled and have to resort to In Lou We Trust to justify many successes.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 08 February 2013 - 02:20 PM.

I'm here for the party

#150 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,904 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

And soon to be a UFA...and thanks to Lou's stance on not negotiating during the season, I'm sure he'll be gone.

Just like Langenbrunner, Oduya, Elias, Pandolfo, Salvador twice, Kovalchuk, etc. 

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#151 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

I loved Clarkson when he first showed up, then quickly grew to really dislike his game. It wasn't until DeBoer came to the Devils and they reunited I liked his play again. I don't know enough behind the scenes or on the ice to definitely say DeBoer's responsible for Clarkson's incredible development but it sure seems like it.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#152 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Isnt Klee that show on Fox where they sing?
It's the whiskey talking.

#153 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Really hated Klee. I think it was him stepping up on NJs own blue line that lead to an OT goal for Carolina. Maybe Niclas Wallin scored it?

EDIT: Might be this one, Stupid music.

Edited by NJDevils1214, 08 February 2013 - 03:08 PM.

815631765.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users