32 replies to this topic

#1 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:59 PM

Overall I am fairly satisfied with the moves, the defense has been solidified. But the offense is paper thin now, we can barely score 2 goals a game without Elias. With a healthy Elias they can just do enough to get by...but we have zero offensive depth. If anybody else gets banged up the team is screwed. The Devils could use an infusion of Almo around playoff time to give this team another scoring threat, then we can start looking like an NHL offense again.

Elias-Gomez-Gionta
Parise-Kozlov-Mogilny
Wiemer-Madden-Langenbrunner
Pandolfo-Rasmussen-Brylin/Marshall
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#2 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,183 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:02 PM

I'd like to know the answer to that too though somehow though I doubt he's coming back in any case, Lou seemed pretty set in not having him come back when he declared he wouldn't be back this year. Of course minds are made to be changed but with all the stuff that's come out about Mogilny being a drag on the locker room I doubt Lou'd bring him back even for a playoff run.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#3 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:02 PM

I believe we can but he'd have to clear re-entry waivers.

Edited by ghdi, 09 March 2006 - 09:02 PM.

#4 neeks123

neeks123

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:04 PM

You bring up a good point.... I agree, and as a matter of fact, imagine Gomez or Gionta hurt. The other day I was a little scared when Brylin gashed his head, he could luckily still play and played a good game. Mogilny is good but from what I know, he was sent to the Waivers because Lamoriello doesn't like him. I think Mogilny was not encouraging and had the wrong attitude, sure he's good and it would be nice having him back, but I dont know...

#5 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,568 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:07 PM

If any truth to the article about Lou and Mogilny having a loud argument before Mogilny was put on waivers, I doubt it.
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#6 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:07 PM

The way I understand it is that the salary cap is lifted in the playoffs as is the waiver system so we could call him up for the playoffs and it would be OK.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#7 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:31 PM

petey is correct. he can come up in the playoffs with no cap/waiver restrictions.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#8 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,552 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:49 PM

Mogilny was terrible for New Jersey in his last ten games and he really would not help the team at this point. I wouldn't count on him coming back unless we had serious injuries.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#9 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:50 PM

Mogilny was terrible for New Jersey in his last ten games and he really would not help the team at this point. I wouldn't count on him coming back unless we had serious injuries.

I think if we called him up, someone would grab him at half price.
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#10 Voros19

Voros19

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:53 PM

I think if we called him up, someone would grab him at half price.

The waiver system is gutted come playoff time. We could call him up without having to worry about re-entry waivers.

I think.
Posted Image

Enjoy your dream world. It's on schedule to come crashing down on or about November 1.

#11 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,552 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:56 PM

The waiver system is gutted come playoff time. We could call him up without having to worry about re-entry waivers.

I think.

This is correct. You can call players up and send them down without exposing them to waivers.

Still, the Devils would have to lose a few forwards before Lou even considered it. Mogilny will be packing his things and leaving Albany - other players will be skating with the Devils regularly.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#12 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:02 PM

Really? I'm surprised, that's a nice way to maneuver around the cap.
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#13 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:10 PM

Really? I'm surprised, that's a nice way to maneuver around the cap.

Since the players no longer get paid during the playoffs, it's a matter of roster rules, not the cap, anymore. There is no cap because there are no salaries. There are just rules about who you can sign (for example, you can't go out and sign some guy from Europe) and obviously you can't trade for anyone. But you can bring someone up from your minor league affiliate if you have to. No matter who he is.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#14 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:15 PM

I see what you are saying, but in essence, didn't a team "hide" an expensive player in the minors and get him off the cap, just to bring him up when he's needed?

#15 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:25 PM

I see what you are saying, but in essence, didn't a team "hide" an expensive player in the minors and get him off the cap, just to bring him up when he's needed?

As I understand it, it wasn't the cap that made Lou send Mogilny to Albany.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#16 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:34 PM

As I understand it, it wasn't the cap that made Lou send Mogilny to Albany.

I didn't mean that Mogilny being sent down was a cap move by Lou. That was a banishment! :evil: I was just questioning the being able to bring any player up w/o having to go through waivers as a way to get around the cap.

#17 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:45 PM

He would be a huge upgrade over Marshall or whatever drech we have on right wing now. It would be kinda cool to see him resurface in the playoffs, I hope Lou can put this grudge behind him. I didn't know of any shouting match between them...but if he can patch things up with Lemieux and MacLean, then he can with Mogilny.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#18 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:56 PM

I'm not sure I understand any of this waivers playoff stuff... but let me ask...

Let's say you are the Rangers GM. You sign $90M worth of players and put $50M worth of guys in Hartford. Your $40M worth of guys barely make it into the playoffs, but then you call up all the stars you stockpiled in the AHL. Also, signing guys and throwing them down to Hartford is a wonderful way of keeping star players off your competition to boot....

Are you telling me the NHL didn't think of this when writing the CBA?
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#19 Voros19

Voros19

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:58 PM

I'm not sure I understand any of this waivers playoff stuff... but let me ask...

Let's say you are the Rangers GM. You sign $90M worth of players and put $50M worth of guys in Hartford. Your $40M worth of guys barely make it into the playoffs, but then you call up all the stars you stockpiled in the AHL. Also, signing guys and throwing them down to Hartford is a wonderful way of keeping star players off your competition to boot....

Are you telling me the NHL didn't think of this when writing the CBA?

I thought there was some maximum to how many NHL vets you could have on your farm team. Not too sure.

Doubt any player would want to sign with a team that did that.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by Voros19, 09 March 2006 - 10:58 PM.

Posted Image

Enjoy your dream world. It's on schedule to come crashing down on or about November 1.

#20 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:59 PM

It's an ego thing too Don. If you were a star in the NHL why would you consent to go to the AHL?

But yes, that would be perfectly legal.

EDIT: There is a veteran limit in the AHL, but that's a game limit. You can rotate them around so different veterans play in different games.

Edited by PeteyNice, 09 March 2006 - 11:00 PM.

"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users