754 replies to this topic

#21 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 09:56 PM

This should be nominated for thread of the year.... ;)

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#22 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 10:00 PM

On the topic of fanbases mocking other teams -- all fans do it. All fans talk trash about their arch rivals. If Rangers were winning, my Rangers fan friends would never stop harrassing me; my Philly fan friends never stop talkin' sh*t.

Personally, I go easy on trash talking when the team I root for is winning. But to talk smack isn't unnatural. Winning comes first; the trash talk goes along with that, but in a distant second.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#23 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 10:09 PM

Rags never bash Devils? You are on a Devils board Derek, when are you going to get that? "Take the higher road" then and ignore it. One minute you are trash talking us the fans and this board and in another thread you could be pointing out Devils' strong points. Make up your mind. Wishing ill refute to us or the team is the same thing that is being done here, what is the difference?
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#24 NJayDevil

NJayDevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 10:25 PM

Poor little Ranger fan.

Not our fault your team sucks.
Official Keeper of Little G
New Jersey Devils|3|New York Yankees|27|New York Giants|3|Penn State|4|
"They are the loudest and most loyal students in the country. They call this place Happy Valley?
That's an understatement tonight. This is definitely the best place on Earth. I have seen Paternoville,
I have seen these students...there is nothing like this in the country."

-ESPN College Gameday
"We cannot rank Penn State University against other schools
in the party school category because we feel it is unfair to
rank professionals against amateurs."

-Playboy Magazine
"You're driving along with nothing and then it's like
cow... cow... cow... 20,000 hot chicks!
That's Penn State."

-Jon Stewart

#25 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 10:36 PM

if one thing is clear, it's that sports don't bring out the best of people. ever heard a decent conversation between a flyers fan and a devils fan after a controversial call? you'll hear the f bomb more than any word with more than two syllables. you have to expect devils fans loving the demise of the rangers, it's a natural thing. division rival a mere few miles away... north jersey used to be rangers country... an original six team vs. a team that if emobodied wouldn't even be able to buy a beer legally. no matter how you look at it the rangers will always be the cool college kids that have seen it all while the devils are middle school punks determined to bring them down. and when they bring them down, of course they will feel great. if you're a fan of the middle schooler the only thing second to winning is watching the college kid go down as well.

i wish i could tell you that devils fans simply root their team on without even smiling when the rangers lose. but i'm realistic - i know what goes on and i accept it. sure not everything about getting totally involved with sports is great. how appropriate is this stat - super bowl sunday marks the worst day year-round of domestic violence. think football fans are proud of that? or how about that soccer is treated so highly that a goalie was killed over it... are soccer fans proud of that?

but what fun would sports be if part of the deal was that you couldn't lose yourself in the process... letting your emotions getting the best of you, letting in the best joy and the worst sadness you could ever imagine - all at the hands of a few dozen guys on an ice rink. it's beautiful and ugly at the same time. you can't see it as only beautiful... being a sports fan that can't even crack a smile when his team wins and his rival loses would be the awful... there wouldn't be any fans at all. but letting yourself go into a meaningless sport is perfectly ok... accept it, bro...

it's not like we're going out onto the streets beating up rangers fans. i don't think anyone here would enjoy it. and i'd never even think to as much as laugh at a rangers fan. i might seem like an a$$hole sometimes on the board but one of the thing about messageboards is that you say what you want to without worrying about offending people. i don't want to sound confrontational but i don't think anybody's going to show up at my house wanting to beat me up over some post i put up. i don't take pleasure in making fun of rangers fans to their face, to their friends, or whatever, but messageboards ARE different. i'm on a majority devils fan board and honestly if i might offend one or two people slightly i'm not going to zip my mouth and pretend i don't enjoy the rangers' demise. i do. i'm sorry. but that's just my own opinion.

p.s. attendance jokes and pretending rangers fans don't make fun of devils fans is a clear-cut case of letting sports get the best of you. it's a two-sided street buddy, so don't act like you only go one-way, criticize us, and then go the other way while yelling at us for doing the same thing...

#26 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 10:36 PM

and i guess that was my 400th. i think it's appropriate.

#27 HarbingerOfSorrow

HarbingerOfSorrow

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 10:52 PM

Excellent State of the Board address, Sheepy.
Certainly fitting for a 400th post. (Congrats, by the way.)

Now, if only Bush's State of the Union address on Tuesday is as eloquent...

#28 brylin18

brylin18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 10:54 PM

once again ...

Posted Image

#29 Elias Sports Bureau

Elias Sports Bureau

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 11:20 PM

very nicely put, mr. sheeps.

I haven't had a chat with a Ranger fan on NHL.com chat that didn't go "we've kicked your butts in the playoffs every time we meet."

I don't even succumb to the ... hmmm, where have you been lately crap. It's just not worth it to do it every damn time.

They don't seem to recognize that their 1994 team is not exactly our 1994 team any longer...

It's really not worth fighting about to me. It's so boring and old hat. But yes, I smile when the Rangers lose. I laugh when I see Holikenstein at -4. I understand Derek's pain, but that's his cross to bear, just like we all have ours.

I was actually torn up over our loss last night DESPITE the fact that we got the point. Really, I'm way too attached to this team. I probably need to be weaned or something.
Keeper of Patrik Elias, Alexander Mogilny and njdevs.com Keepers

"We've let the fans down. People pay good money and they've always had pride in the Devils." -- Scott Gomez

#30 exit_16w

exit_16w

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 11:24 PM

Ah, what a novel concept.  To think the Rangers mean so much to Devils fans.  It's never enough that their team wins.  They might be the laughing$tock of the league but at least they aren't the joke of a fanbase that mocks other teams and can't even show up and sell out their own building until the third round.

What will be the excuse this year?

I got a wish:  A 1st Round Curse On You.

Pin that!

You gotta understand how the devils have been the past few years our expectations for our team are high, we know that our team will win because our teams is better than yours. Its proven that teams like the rag$ can't beat us we're just too good. As this relates to fan attendance we just expect and know that we'll win, unlike in your case where you wanna be at every possible game because for that slight chance the rag$ might accually win one. And you wanna be able to tell everyone else that you were there when the rag$ accually won a game. And seeing how history repeats its self it will be another 50 years till you win a cup(maybe) you'll hear all the arena's chanting 1994. So go to your own rag$ forum and i hope to run into you at the CAA on the 25th (hopefully with my car) and you'll see your piss poor rag$ lose again to the better team.

Edited by DevilMinder, 10 February 2005 - 06:25 PM.

#31 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 11:32 PM

Sheeps, well put.
And if you can't gloat on a Devils' forum, well where else can you go. Expect nothing less in Hell.

#32 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,790 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 11:38 PM

Guys, come on.. this is no time for such insults..

I feel sorry.

We're going to miss these guys come April.

We'll miss stories on Boris Mironov's Jerry Rice-like workout regimen, we'll miss Matthew Barnaby's class, we'll miss Eric Lindros's all-out, go-for-it play, we'll miss Bobby Holik's quiet grace, we'll miss Darius Kasparaitis's stunning mediocrity, we'll miss Mark Messier's simian antics, we'll miss the criminal Tibbetts.. oh, you all can laugh now, but it's just hiding the tears inside of each of us.

We'll miss you, 2002-2003 New York Rangers. Wear that sweater proudly. Go down fighting! You wouldn't do it any other way, would you?

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#33 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 11:46 PM

:cryriver:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#34 smelly

smelly

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 11:47 PM

Derek, the frustration, the pain, the anguish, the embarrassment of yet another season down the tubes, and the creeping realization that this long nightmare is far from over, is all too apparent in your post. My heartfelt condolences.

And ain't it funny that a first round playoff loss would be a failure for the Devs but the high point of the past SIX YEARS for the Rangers?

BTW Triumph. a classic post. As Homer Simpson put it best, "It's funny because it's true!!"

#35 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 11:50 PM

Classic Conan Triumph style lol.

#36 littleton_devil

littleton_devil

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 11:51 PM

Pin that!

Speaking of pinning things, where did my increasingly prophetic comment, I have never taken the Rangers seriously end up?

If memory serves me correctly, you utilized it in your signature for a while, but it disappeared at about the same time the Rangers playoff hopes disappered ... sometime in late October! :evil:

Edited by DevilMinder, 10 February 2005 - 06:26 PM.

#37 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,500 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 11:53 PM

As if the Ranger$ fans wouldn't love to have the shoe on the other foot? I know there was sure no shortage of smack talk from Ranger$ fans on the AO-Hell boards in '97 when the Ranger$ beat us, far more mean-spirited than this thread too, which as people have pointed out is in a Devils forum after all. I think we'd look pretty silly going over to the Cafe and whining about every Devil diss over there. Just as we'd look classless flaming over there.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#38 CaptainScotty

CaptainScotty

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 12:09 AM

Some of you choose to be classy, fine.

But personally, when I think of the rangers, all that pompous gloating about 94 and our playoff record makes my blood boil, and I'm more than happy to dance and cheer the Rangers going down in flames, especially when Holik was brought in as their saviour and the trash talking reached a fever pitch.

I guess rag fans are choking on that trash huh? Dont taste too good eh?

Burn in hell you Broadway dimwits. Don't expect this attendance thing to last too much longer, most of the hockey fans I meet these days are Devils fans. Us college boys need some money.

Ah, I love it.

#39 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 12:25 AM

If you want a good laugh game is replaying the highlights right now to the Rangers game hehe.

#40 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 12:33 AM

Ah, what a novel concept.  To think the Rangers mean so much to Devils fans.  It's never enough that their team wins.  They might be the laughing$tock of the league but at least they aren't the joke of a fanbase that mocks other teams and can't even show up and sell out their own building until the third round.

What will be the excuse this year?

I got a wish:  A 1st Round Curse On You.

Pin that!

You gotta understand how the devils have been the past few years our expectations for our team are high, we know that our team will win because our teams is better than yours. Its proven that teams like the rag$ can't beat us we're just too good. As this relates to fan attendance we just expect and know that we'll win, unlike in your case where you wanna be at every possible game because for that slight chance the rag$ might accually win one. And you wanna be able to tell everyone else that you were there when the rag$ accually won a game. And seeing how history repeats its self it will be another 50 years till you win a cup(maybe) you'll hear all the arena's chanting 1994. So go to your own rag$ forum and i hope to run into you at the CAA on the 25th (hopefully with my car) and you'll see your piss poor rag$ lose again to the better team.

16w...logic never works on a person who refuses to take their medication ;)
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users