#701 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 07:36 AM

Thats just called Bad Management.

The Ranger$ were totally unprepared and Blackburn is just not ready to be thrown in the fire. Sather wanted to save face in light of horrible draft record by calling Blackburn, the next Grant Fuhr...as if the kid didn't have enough pressure.

Its funny a team with an estimated $84 million salary base and the ONLY player who came to play this week was TED DONATO.

So much for the infamous: "I will only play for a Stanley Cup contender"--BS.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#702 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,597 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 08:24 AM

Isn't it true that because of his age, he can't be sent to Hartford to play regularly?

Perhaps next year he'll be old enough and they'll sign a backup for Dunham and let Blackburn play for the Pack.

That would be logical though, so don't count on it! :D
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#703 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 09:28 AM

That is true sammy.

It was clear to Ranger management that Blackburn did not deserve to go back to junior.

However, to play him in 19 straight games was also very stupid.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#704 bg.

bg.

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 10:00 AM

Look at the bright side Derek, at least we will be getting our playoff money back.

As far as Blackburn is concerned, I think Hartford is a very realistic possibility for him next season. Dunham will be the number 1 and get 60+ starts.

I really think the JR rule hurts top players more than it helps them. Very very few players can play in the NHL at 18 or 19 and have a great deal of success. At the same time those playing with teenagers does very little for the development of those top players.

I think Pavel Brendl said it best a few years ago when he was sent back to JR. "I should be playing with men not boys."

#705 Chort

Chort

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 11:55 AM

how come "cromo domo - the Mess" did not guarantee that they will make the play-offs??

#706 bg.

bg.

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 12:56 PM

Mess nailed the most important guarantee during the Spring of 1994. That's really all that matters.

#707 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 01:08 PM

You're right bg.. Mess nailed that one the same way he nailed that drive on that tough Par 5 dogleg in Spring 2003..

#708 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,297 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 01:58 PM

at what point does the past become irrelevant? don't talk to me about messier's guarantee. outside of lindros, messier is the biggest burden on this rangers team. no lindros and no messier and the rangers just might have made the playoffs.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#709 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 02:02 PM

Mess's guarantee is a long time ago now. I think 6 years no playoffs really diminishes it too.
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#710 M.

M.

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 02:12 PM

C'mon guys- mess guarantee is all they have left. Don't take that away from them. I mean, it's not like he nailed the last guarantee that he made two years ago was it, about making the playoffs? :D
WORK SMARTER- NOT HARDER

#711 bg.

bg.

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 03:13 PM

Its been a few years since your team has won as well...

...Game 7 in Colorado isn't close enough...nor is Game 6 in Carolinia. :evilcry:

Honestly I love the way you guys spin things. About a week or so ago after that big Philly win you guys were saying, bring on Toronto, all the pressure's on them. Call me crazy but a team that has its sights set much higher than getting in saying all the pressure is on another team in Round one is very interesting.

Hey, you guys are going to take shots at a guy with 6 cups, I'll bring up the past all day.

#712 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 03:30 PM

Mess should have retired three years ago.

He just isn't the force or the threat he was when he left for Vancouver. Geez, why not just bring back Gordie Howie he has a playoff hero a while back too.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#713 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 03:42 PM

He WAS the greatest leader, but that was then, this is now.

I don't want Mess to leave - he is the perfect albatross around the Ranger's necks.

A perfect 0-for-3 !

#714 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,445 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 03:44 PM

bg even the loss to Carolina is a lot closer than the highest payroll in the league has been the last six years :P

And yes that was asinine what Cro-Mag said about Blackburn. It SHOULDN'T BE ON THE KID TO BEGIN WITH! Marty has much more of a pedigree than Blackburn and you'd never catch Stevens or Dano saying well it's all gonna rest on Marty's shoulders tonight. Not only was it undue pressure to put on the kid it's flat out admitting your team ain't good enough to do it.

And bg If you're gonna laud him for his Game 6 guarantee forever you have to give him crap for NOT delivering on his promise last year. Not to mention Sather this year :lol: .

I'm beginning to buy the overrated leader thing; the greatest leader in all of professional sports hasn't led his teams into the playoffs in any of the past six years.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#715 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 03:52 PM

bg you are right. We should feel really sad for the Rangers. All these guarantees and nothing to show for it. I think it would be better if we show support for the Rangers for a good effort and a job well done. Maybe next year will be the year. See you next year Rangers and I hope you continue to play with heart, desire, passion and as a team worthy of a birth to the Stanley Cup playoffs. Good luck! We applaud your effort this year. :D

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

#716 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 03:59 PM

It's not like those 6 years absent from the playoffs have been on bad teams either. All 6 years, it has been teams expected to make the playoffs that did not deliver.

Messier is a non-entity now. I don't even hate him anymore, that's how pathetic he's become.

#717 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 04:26 PM

Why do Rags fans hold Cromag's guarantee as damn near Gospel? Slats said the same and alot of other guys talk smack, too. He got lucky with a guess.
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#718 LetsGoDevils

LetsGoDevils

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 05:39 PM

Why do Rags fans hold Cromag's guarantee as damn near Gospel? Slats said the same and alot of other guys talk smack, too. He got lucky with a guess.

It would've been more impressive if he had like actually scored the game winning goal to back up his quote. Mess is done. Stick him back in ice until the next ice age thaw.
So Say We All

#719 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 05:43 PM

[quote name='bg.' date='Mar 27 2003, 10:00 AM']Look at the bright side Derek, at least we will be getting our playoff money back.

But that's just it bg. I don't want my playoff money back. You can figure out what I mean here.

This team shouldn't be missing it's sixth straight postseason. Even with all the injuries, they still should have been able to win more games. It's sad how heartless they are. Like a bad disease that never has a cure.

As far as Blackburn is concerned, I think Hartford is a very realistic possibility for him next season. Dunham will be the number 1 and get 60+ starts.

I really think the JR rule hurts top players more than it helps them. Very very few players can play in the NHL at 18 or 19 and have a great deal of success. At the same time those playing with teenagers does very little for the development of those top players.

I think Pavel Brendl said it best a few years ago when he was sent back to JR. "I should be playing with men not boys."

Blackie clearly needs to be in Hartford next year. I agree that the JR rule hurts kids because it only leaves their NHL team with two options:

1.Send them back to Juniors where they might be too good to play.

2.Play them in the NHL where it's Sink or Swim. Guys can lose confidence this way if not brought along properly.

I think we've seen a few examples of this.

If Mess really said what he did about Blackie, he was wrong.

But for fans here to say he's not a leader is ridiculous. #11 might be 42 but he brought it most nights this season unlike his younger teammates.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#720 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 06:39 PM

Derek he's more of a figure head (and some bald head at that) anymore. He should have retired before he left for Vancouver. Of course he is a HOF but it seems to be the thinking of do you go out with a bang or whimper?
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users