754 replies to this topic

#61 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 04:30 PM

Of course that doesn't stop the Flyers bashing as there is always something to poke fun at Bobby Clarke about.  ;)

That's nothing to be ashamed of, C.

In fact, it may make you a better human being. :D

I can tell you there was a fair amount of smack from Ranger fans on the ESPN Devs board last summer re: LTHRB signing. Can't say anything about any other boards.

Edited by DevilMinder, 10 February 2005 - 06:26 PM.

#62 DRafalski

DRafalski

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 04:46 PM

Believe me, we laugh at the Rangers here in Detroit too.

I think it's funny when I can go to a Columbus game 200 miles down the road and see a franchise so young yet commands more respect than the Rangers in terms of EVERYTHING.

When we have a lockout, thank the Rangers for giving Holik 9 million dollars to. Does anyone know who Shawn Bates is? Well he's having a better season than Holik in terms of producing. Even Zetterberg from Detroit, who has never played an 82 game season is posting the same numbers as Holik.

And it's not about Jersey or Detroit being holier than thou, every team makes it's mistakes. The Rangers just do that so much better than other teams. At least the Rangers can pay their players.

I wouldn't go tying in Jersey fans leaving to poor national coverage. Go blame Betman. Why was ESPN showing ice skating here when a well thought out schedule by the NHL could've put a great match up on to pull some viewers from a SuperBowl that was trash? What are you doing to support interest in hockey? Our local cable company offers an excellent package for hockey fans for about $100 a season. I can pick what I want to watch. How many times have you streamed a Senators game off of NHL.com's radio deal?

The problem with the Rangers, and it's not that hard to realize this, is that they are an easy target. On paper, in terms of dollar signs they should be receiving all the heckling the Wings got for trying to "buy the cup." Well, the Wings shut everyone up by going through and eliminating four teams for the rights to hoist the cup. The Rangers, well, they're handing out gasoline.
NJDevs.Com -[Brian Rafalski]- Keeper

#63 Elias Sports Bureau

Elias Sports Bureau

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 05:01 PM

When we have a lockout, thank the Rangers for giving Holik 9 million dollars to. Does anyone know who Shawn Bates is? Well he's having a better season than Holik in terms of producing.

I do!!!
He's awesome. One of those pesky players that you love having on your team. He's the guy who scored short-handed against CuJo last year in the playoffs.
He's an Isle, btw.
Keeper of Patrik Elias, Alexander Mogilny and njdevs.com Keepers

"We've let the fans down. People pay good money and they've always had pride in the Devils." -- Scott Gomez

#64 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,473 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 05:05 PM

I think the count down thread is a riot! I also love the Bobby Holik in golf duds picture! Nice work :) I ALSO agree with MD that it

I'm here for the party

#65 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,473 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 05:10 PM

Does anyone know who Shawn Bates is?

I do!!!
One of those pesky players that you love having on your team. He's an Isle, btw.

Yeah me too...I sort of wish I hadn't used the Master Bates title on battaglia when I watch ol' Shawny boy :lol:

Edited by DevilMinder, 10 February 2005 - 06:27 PM.

#66 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 05:33 PM

I guess I didn't make myself clear. My feelings aren't hurt and my life doesn't depend on if my team qualifies.

There are much more important things in life than that.

I can't believe my friends (MaddDog and Pepperkorn) misunderstood me.

I just think it's a stupid thread because it's January. There's still lots of season left. That's why my feeling is that the timing makes no sense. You can get burned in the end. There's an expression I like to use. "He who laughs last laughs best." Well, it could wind up happening. You never know. The East isn't great by any stretch and I believe the Rangers best hockey is ahead of them. There's that Leetch guy who can make a difference and that Russian Rocket character.

If we miss, celebrate in April and toast yourselves.

Triumph is quite a character. He'd rather the Devils lose in round one and be able to say the Devils had a more successful season than the Rangers. LOL... I'd rather miss the playoffs entirely than choke in the first round because if your team does, that's what it will be.

Notice how I was so delegate in my wording in the last post before this one. I spoke the truth about some of you. Some are obsessed with the Rangers. Yet nobody who posted in this thread wants to admit that.

I'm glad we mean so much to you :D .

And here's another startling discovery. Hasan, when I posted on the Cafe, there was not one Devils bashing thread on that board. I agree with what C said.

I know some people who agree with what I said. Speak up, will ya ;)

Also, to DRafalski, there's no such thing as "buying a Cup." The thing that separates this great sport from the others is that one team has to win 16 times on the ice. That means winning four best-of-seven series.

The best team usually wins. There's no such thing as "flukes."

If a championship was bought, then I guess the other teams' players would be paid off to allow goals and take penalties. Some people.

Good luck the rest of the season. I'm sure the same gratitude is extended :evil: .

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#67 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 05:44 PM

I just think it's a stupid thread because it's January. There's still lots of season left.

not for the rangers, they're on thin ice already

That's why my feeling is that the timing makes no sense. You can get burned in the end. There's an expression I like to use. "He who laughs last laughs best." Well, it could wind up happening. You never know. The East isn't great by any stretch and I believe the Rangers best hockey is ahead of them.

eh, I'll take my chances laughing now, :lol:

There's that Leetch guy who can make a difference and that Russian Rocket character.

you lost with them, you lost without them, and now you'll lose with them again
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#68 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 05:53 PM

Well that was a short hiatus! Without backpaging too far into this thread which looks to be a long one, I agree with Risky and Sheeps; all good points. Madd Dog and Pepperkorn also made good points. You can combine the loyalty and verocity of following a team but remember it is a hockey team, not a life situation. Some people on this board can understand the importance of family and health more than others.

Derek you are too sensitive to what is the norm for every team, I don't care what sport it is. You get yourself all worked up over what DM said was classless and go off on a tangent then come back and re-explain yourself when you have calmed down. I have Rag co-workers and one today was joking to me, he brought it up, how bad they suck. He hates the Devils, supports the Rags but can still joke about it. He just welcomed a baby girl in October and that is the kind of thing that is important.

You can hit ignore or just not read but the people you are targeting--that is, if it isn't all of us--are thriving off your weakness and you are taking the bait, hook, line and sinker right down your throat. Your wishing a quick demise to our team is no different than what is being posted here. This is Hell and it is a Devils' board. You are what, the second or third highest poster on this board. What does that say? There's plenty of Devs' bashing going on--in print, on screen, online and in spoken words. Taking a shot about the attendance is scraping for something that won't hold. We'll take a Cup and so-so attendance over a packed house nightly over a losing record anyday. Scraping for 1997 is another one. Being supportive of the Rags no matter how much they suck is a good thing--that's what makes a real fan. Support them in good and bad seasons.

What is the younger generation? What is your age, around 26, 27? Old and seasoned. Plenty of people sat through many crappy years of the Devils having losing seasons and they have been built into a winning team. No one said anything about Devils fans never being wrong, not sure where that came from. :blink:

You can come back tomorrow or in April or in 2007 or whenever and Devils fans will still hate the Rags (and vice versa) and this will still be going on. The Hatfields and McCoys of the hockey world.
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#69 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 06:12 PM

Thanks Derek, for proving my point. Nice spin. I think it's great when the highest salaried team misses the playoffs.. a lot better than going out first round for sure. Agree completely. The Devils' loss would be a choke, the Rangers season is a long, drawn out asphyxiation.

I agree with PK.. kind of silly to make your first post back here a whine-fest. You add good comments to the board, but your self-righteousness about what Devils fans should or shouldn't do is misplaced. Stay out of those threads (yea i know it's my turn to be self-righteous, whatever).

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#70 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 06:27 PM

Whatever.

The Rangers Suck.

fvck the Rangers.

Bobby Hole-lick can kiss my ass.

fvck the Rangers.

They won't even make the first round.

fvck the Rangers.

Go cry somewhere else.

How's that for some REAL trash talking rather than apologetic, analytical bullsh!t we're expected to undertake on a frigging DEVILS MESSAGE BOARD?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#71 HarbingerOfSorrow

HarbingerOfSorrow

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 06:38 PM

What's the big deal here?
Good-natured trash-talking is good.
Good-natured trash-talking is right.
Heck, it's what I like most about this board.
I get to make outrageous predictions like Mini-Pat 50, Flyers 1.
Can't we all just get along?

#72 HarbingerOfSorrow

HarbingerOfSorrow

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 06:41 PM

Above all, the fun should be clean.
No name-calling, etc.
And no mentioning of certain Western Conference teams, heh heh.

#73 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 07:06 PM

And here's another startling discovery. Hasan, when I posted on the Cafe, there was not one Devils bashing thread on that board. I agree with what C said.

And AS I SAID TO C, it would be pretty stupid of Ranger$ fans to be making fun of the Devils NOW, no? That would be akin to a Orioles fan making fun of the Yankees :P

I wasn't gonna say anything because I didn't want to be accused of piling on by certain posters, but...
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#74 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 07:34 PM

I just think it's a stupid thread because it's January.

Funny how you took two novels and three posts to explain that, and yet you've called it a stupid thread for other reasons too. So which is it, because it's January? Because we're obsessed? Because we're not allowed to diss your precious team? Or because of some other reason which you haven't explained yet?

Besides, your own board or at least your former board is meltdown central after this weekend. If we're arrogant for pooh-poohing your chances what does that make your own fans who have jumped off faster than rats on a sinking ship this weekend? How are we THAT arrogant when your own fans (and you at times too) are such skeptics?

Someone posting a photo of Lindros down on all fours was disgusting and a lowpoint for this place.

Oh please, as if Ranger$ fans are above crossing the line? How about the Ranger$ fans chanting "Get a Porsche" at Hextall after Pelle Lindbergh's accident? How about Ranger$ fans chanting Potvin sucks STILL?

If anything the Lindros thing proves this board can police itself and doesn't need your Moral Highness telling us what we can and can't post. Honestly that is one of your biggest problems. You act as if you have to be the moral conscience of the board and that really comes across as looking down on us, and it comes off ESPECIALLY bad because you're not even a Devils fan and you're telling us what we can and can't post on our board.

And it's funny how you sometimes whine and complain that we're unfair to you because you're a Ranger$ fan and yet we tolerate you more than the Cafe, where you're not allowed to post anymore! Your own board! Seems to me as if we're not being anywhere near as unreasonable as you think, and that we're not the reason for your problems with us.

And as for your comments about the "younger posters" stop trying to make it an age thing. I've seen illogical older posters and I've seen great younger posters. It's not about age. Fact is you have problems with pretty much ALL of us at times, problems that are usually caused when you take mere disagreements and turn them into personal affronts. And you frequently act as immature as the younger posters you (who you're not THAT much older than yourself) decry, at least when you're in your Hyde mode, or is it Jekyll?

Honestly you do come off as a real Jekyll/Hyde type. All peachy when everything's going well and borderline insane the first little disagreement/difference of opinion you have with someone. I, for one am tired of this bipolar act. Either stop taking every little slight or perceived slight as cause to start a war, or make your hiatus permanent, because as good of a poster as you can be, it won't do us or yourself any good to stick around if you're gonna be this bent out of shape by every little thing we post or say as much as you may deny you're bent out of shape by every little thing we post or say.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#75 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 08:26 PM

Hasan, your maturity level is sad.

You just couldn't resist, could you?
I know what your motivation was too.

You couldn't be more wrong about me.

Anything to make excuses for the acts of some childish posters.

And I'm not referring to the younger posters either, you psycho.

I'm talking about older people like yourself.

Younger posters seem more mature for some reason.

You are a sad person.

Let's congratulate Hasan on what he does best. Insulting another person who gave an objective opinion that he and his male testerone pigheaded buddies didn't like.

And on bullying me for the 100th time in a thread.

And to think, I only returned for one thread.

And for now turning it into a personal vendetta and getting another thread locked.

You are the biggest hypocrite this board's seen. Calling even some of your own fans fakes.

I will do you one better: The only person who's fake is you.

Take your self righteous crap off the board.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#76 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 08:28 PM

I think your name calling is exceeding anything that may have already been posted here.

Anyone want to take a wager on how many pages this goes? :uni:
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#77 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 08:30 PM

agreed to all but derek himself. will the message ever sink in? or is it impossible for him to acknowledge even a few times out of many that he is wrong? nice to see that you have wildly changed your tone and meaning twice without but a thought. oh well. we're wrong, you're right, is that what you want to hear?

too bad.

#78 NJayDevil

NJayDevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 08:31 PM

Ok this is seriously gotten to the title: Beating a Dead Horse. (just dont have the smilie to back me up on that, but im sure someone does)

We all know that the Rags playoff chances are slim. But let's just cut this out for now, wait till Feb. 25th to start it up for good.

We have more important things to worry bout like wins over the Wings tomorrow and over the Flyers on Thrusday than to state the obvious in this thread.
Official Keeper of Little G
New Jersey Devils|3|New York Yankees|27|New York Giants|3|Penn State|4|
"They are the loudest and most loyal students in the country. They call this place Happy Valley?
That's an understatement tonight. This is definitely the best place on Earth. I have seen Paternoville,
I have seen these students...there is nothing like this in the country."

-ESPN College Gameday
"We cannot rank Penn State University against other schools
in the party school category because we feel it is unfair to
rank professionals against amateurs."

-Playboy Magazine
"You're driving along with nothing and then it's like
cow... cow... cow... 20,000 hot chicks!
That's Penn State."

-Jon Stewart

#79 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 08:35 PM

i think it's ok for devils fans to start calling the rangers playoffs hopes in october... it's part of our job!!! nobody said they were definitely out then, nobody said they are definitely out now. we made a COUNTER and derek whines about how "pre-mature" it is... it's a counter! only if and when it fills up will they be out!

maybe YOU'RE (derek) the one who's acting pre-mature, taking a ten-game counter we made to mean that the rangers are out. that's all you buddy, that's all you...

and now you have to go after hasan. congratulations, this one thread you felt like contributing to has gotten even stupider.

#80 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 08:37 PM

Funny how other people get on you basically with similar complaints and yet I'm the only one that you whine about and say flatly untrue things about. If one of us has got it in for the other it sure isn't me having it in for you :rolleyes:

If you weren't so dense and took what everyone said at face value you'd see nobody's got it in for you. It really is nobody's loss but yours that you think people that have problems with you automatically have it in for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users