24 replies to this topic

#21 IceThief

IceThief

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:13 PM

If you ever get the chance, watch the video of Barry Ashby losing his eye after being hit directly in it during the Stanley Cup finals in I believe it was the Flyers' first cup season. Maybe it was the second.

But I remember watching the video some time ago and thinking, "Daaaayum!!!!!

Went down on the ice to block a shot at the point and the rest is history. He lay on the ice writhing in pain with his hands over his face and everyone crowded around him from players, to refs, to medics.

Pretty nasty stuff and he never played again.

Ashcan was a hell of a warrior.
In honor of one of the greatest dmen to ever play the game, I remain to this day and forever after a lifetime member of the Scott Stevens Fan Club:

"If you ever had to describe what a Devil player would be," said Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello, "the name would be Scott Stevens."

"He was just huge," Devils left wing Patrik Elias said of walking into training camp the first time in 1995. "I was afraid of him. You had a 170-pound guy coming here and he was 220, 225 with these paws like a bear. I was pretty intimidated the first few years. I'm happy he was on my side the whole time."

#22 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:12 AM

didn't they end up retiring his number? no. 4 i believe.

not the most talented guy, didn't do much offensively, but played his heart out and was an amazing defensive dman.

i read about his career somewhere. they got him from the bruins i believe and he spent a while in minors but never gave up and made it to the flyers and was amazing or something.
Posted Image

Hahahaha...long overdue. Now they need to get rid of Jacobs.

The problem is, NJ only plays them 4 times a year. We were only able to get them to trade JT and fire the idiot GM. If we played them 8 times a year, maybe Jacobs might have an epiphany and sell the team.

#23 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:33 AM

When the Flames/Ducks games got pulled this show Legends came on and they said Terry Sawchuk died after falling into a bbq pit? Huh? :blink:

He was wrestling with teammate Ron Stewart (I believe). I also think they were on the Rangers at the time.

There has always been speculation there's more to the story, but Stewart never said anything.
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#24 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:05 AM

Ashby!! That's the one. Thanks, Thief. I remember watching that game. He caught that one full force right on the orbital bone.

#25 njdevils2003champs

njdevils2003champs

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:12 PM

This wasnt as bloody as the other ones mentioned but in 1995-96 when Eric Lacroix hit Mick Voukota from behind and his face hit blue part between the glass and boards. WOW, I'd never forget that one.

**200th post**
Its Game Time! Are You Ready? Devils Hockey...Next!

NJDevs Keeper of the original 1987-88 Patrick Divison Champions banner, the Ken Daneyko banner, Devils Dawg's cape, 25th anniversary basher board ad, the Utica Devils, the Lowell Devils franchise, the Devils first win at the Rock, Newark Arena's first car-jacking victim, Lowell's pre-"Devil Dawg" mascot's cape, Sections 128 and 129 at "The Rock", Pork Sandwich at The Rock, Jumbotron clapping Godzilla, Mucho Nacho, Grant Marshall first edition Lowell Devils jersey, The first "Rangers suck" chant at the Rock (25th Oct. '07 at Bon Jovi), Bob Gilderstein, the PA voice from 2005-2007, NJ Iromen soccer team, and the Postponed and Continued Lightning/Devils game 1/8/10 and 1/10/10

"Elias, is going to chase it down. Right in front to Arnott, HE SCORES!!!!! JASON ARNOTT HAS SCORED AND THE DEVILS HAVE WON THE CUP!!! JASON ARNOTT!!! JASON ARNOTT has score and the Devils win it 2-1!!!!"-Mike Miller

"The Championship to New Jersey. The Devils win the Stanley Cup"! -Mike Emrick- -June 24, 1995

R.I.P. Mom 2/22/09

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users