24 replies to this topic

#1 Spacefly

Spacefly

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:30 PM

What do you think is the Worst Hockey injury to date? Could be an Injury in itself,or something like what happened to Jagr. Which may,or may not hurt their team at a crucial time such as the playoffs.

I'm going to say "Clint Malarchuk" as Hockey injury. The guy took a skate to the jugular and nearly died on the ice, If it weren't for the quick reaction from the sabres medical staff, he would have died within minutes. "The main reason why goalies wear throat protecters nowadays".

I'd post a pic but. :puke: its like a fountain of blood.

so what do you think?

#2 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:33 PM

I heard that if the Malarchuk incident happened on the other side of the rink, he would have died because they would have had to take him all the way across the rink and it would have taken too long.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#3 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,594 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:34 PM

That pic has been posted before.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#4 pattyelias

pattyelias

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:49 PM

Travis Roy breaking a vertebrae and being paralyzed after crashing into the boards 10 seconds into his college career was pretty damn awful. As bad as the injury to Malarchuk was, at least he was able to play again.

#5 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,567 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:06 PM

The aforementioned were very bad. Maybe this one wasn't as severe, but Mark Howe getting impaled on the inside of the net when the bottom came to a point was pretty gruesome.
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#6 TK

TK

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:39 PM

Donald Audette's arm injury a few years ago was pretty grusome. A player skated over his arm and wrist severing several tendons. He skated straight off the ice and was throwing himself against the wall in pain. Audette almost lost use of his arm if not for a micro-surgeon that was present in the arena at the time.

Edited by TK, 23 April 2006 - 07:42 PM.

#7 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,594 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:46 PM

I believe the same happened to Yashin a couple of years ago too.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#8 littleton_devil

littleton_devil

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:47 PM

Worst Hockey Injury Ever?

North Star, Bill Masterson's head hitting the ice ... he died from his injuries :(
'In einer welt der kompromisse, gibt es noch maenner, die keine machen' ~ Herr Heckler & Herr Koch

#9 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:58 PM

Worst Hockey Injury Ever?

North Star, Bill Masterson's head hitting the ice ... he died from his injuries :(

What's your avatar?
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#10 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,965 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:13 PM

I heard that if the Malarchuk incident happened on the other side of the rink, he would have died because they would have had to take him all the way across the rink and it would have taken too long.

That is correct. That is how precious the time was to get Malarchuk to the hospital.

Very scary.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#11 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:15 PM

didn't georges vezina die on the ice or on the bench or something?

or maybe he was the guy who died from turbeculosis? i'm not sure...
Posted Image

Hahahaha...long overdue. Now they need to get rid of Jacobs.

The problem is, NJ only plays them 4 times a year. We were only able to get them to trade JT and fire the idiot GM. If we played them 8 times a year, maybe Jacobs might have an epiphany and sell the team.

#12 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:20 PM

Donald Audette's arm injury a few years ago was pretty grusome. A player skated over his arm and wrist severing several tendons. He skated straight off the ice and was throwing himself against the wall in pain. Audette almost lost use of his arm if not for a micro-surgeon that was present in the arena at the time.

That was scary and gross. At least he didn't lose his arm.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#13 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,973 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:42 PM

Trent McCleary going down to block the shot against the Flyers was very scary too. He got hit in the throat and almost died on the ice as well.

Edited by devilsrule33, 23 April 2006 - 08:43 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#14 pattyelias

pattyelias

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:46 PM

Berard getting Hossa's stick in the eye was a pretty nasty one too.

#15 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,933 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:00 PM

Chelios hit on Brian Propp in the 1989 playoffs, elbowed him in the head, just mashed him against the boards. The pool of blood rivaled the Malarchuk incident.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#16 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:27 PM

Didn't Rocky Trottier have his eye fall out of his head in a minor league game?
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#17 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:30 PM

When the Flames/Ducks games got pulled this show Legends came on and they said Terry Sawchuk died after falling into a bbq pit? Huh? :blink:
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#18 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:46 PM

Chelios hit on Brian Propp in the 1989 playoffs, elbowed him in the head, just mashed him against the boards. The pool of blood rivaled the Malarchuk incident.

what followed this event was one of my favorite moments of hockey history.
Posted Image

Hahahaha...long overdue. Now they need to get rid of Jacobs.

The problem is, NJ only plays them 4 times a year. We were only able to get them to trade JT and fire the idiot GM. If we played them 8 times a year, maybe Jacobs might have an epiphany and sell the team.

#19 littleton_devil

littleton_devil

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:56 PM

What's your avatar?

It's one of these: http://www.praxagora...e-left-full.jpg

Edited by littleton_devil, 23 April 2006 - 09:59 PM.

#20 Spacefly

Spacefly

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:08 PM

When the Flames/Ducks games got pulled this show Legends came on and they said Terry Sawchuk died after falling into a bbq pit? Huh?

Yeah, I was watching those on OLN a few days ago. Good Hockey History,Poor guy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users