66 replies to this topic

#21 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,554 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:07 PM

Damn...so much for GMs now being more cost-conscious...

The only case I can make for Richards commanding this kind of coin (and I think Feaster was out of his mind giving this much money to someone who clearly isn't a franchise player) is that Richards' numbers have gone up pretty much every year, and he doesn't ever miss games. But basing a signing on projected performance can be deadly...this contract instantly becomes a distaster if:

1) Richards ever gets hurt and misses an extended period of time, and

2) His seasonal elevation in production either stalls or falls off. Now the expectations are going to be bigger than they've ever been for Richards. Several good players have screwed up their careers trying to live up to contracts they had no business being offered in the first place.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#22 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:14 PM

Look, if someone's going to kill themselves for Elias, let them.

I just don't think the market can bear centers of Richards' ability being paid 7.9 million a year.

Before this deal, Patrik could've been offered 5/35 and it would've gotten it done. Hell, we might've gotten away with $6.75MM/year. Now, you can forget it. Someone will give Elias $7.9 because that's the going rate. The same will be true for Redden/Chara.

What's worse is that it makes a guy like gomez or marc savard think he's worth $6-6.5 instead of $4.5-5.

unfortunately, feaster isn't the only dummy out there.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#23 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:20 PM

Damn...so much for GMs now being more cost-conscious...

The only case I can make for Richards commanding this kind of coin (and I think Feaster was out of his mind giving this much money to someone who clearly isn't a franchise player) is that Richards' numbers have gone up pretty much every year, and he doesn't ever miss games. But basing a signing on projected performance can be deadly...this contract instantly becomes a distaster if:

1) Richards ever gets hurt and misses an extended period of time, and

If Richards gets hurt, he comes off the cap. That's the best they can hope for!

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-

#24 Hellacious_D

Hellacious_D

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:39 PM

Anybody know when the league will announce the Cap Floor and Ceiling for 2006-07? Because until they do, $7.8 is the max annual salary, if I remember correctly.

#25 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,793 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:44 PM

Before this deal, Patrik could've been offered 5/35 and it would've gotten it done. Hell, we might've gotten away with $6.75MM/year. Now, you can forget it. Someone will give Elias $7.9 because that's the going rate. The same will be true for Redden/Chara.

What's worse is that it makes a guy like gomez or marc savard think he's worth $6-6.5 instead of $4.5-5.

unfortunately, feaster isn't the only dummy out there.

This just doesn't make sense. Everyone is going to recognize that Richards' deal is an anomaly - while Elias is sure to get more, Elias at 7.9 isn't worth it - what if he turns back into 01-02 Elias? Players were signing for reasonable amounts during the season and there's plenty of precedent for this. Remember, Richards wasn't even a UFA this season anyway.

Teams still have a budget - teams that are going to want to win need to stick to it. Tampa doesn't have the money to sign defensemen or a real goalie - Kubina's as good as gone, as well as Modin in the future - teams aren't going to sell themselves out for this kind of player. With the salary cap in place, it's not about losing money, it's about simply lacking the money to sign key ingredients to a winner.

The player I'm worried about is Gomez, who I felt would command mid 5s on the open market, and now will certainly command low 6s.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#26 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:49 PM

tri-
what did you think elias was going to get (regardless from whom) before richards' deal? what do you think he's going to get now?

and you're dead on with gomez. his arbitration number will be bad enough to swallow for next year.

it's going to take a good GM to convince good players that it's about winning with a group and that in the devils case, elias at $7.9, gomez at $6, rafalski and gionta at $4, and marty at $5.2 won't win anything.

20082719943.png
-

#27 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:54 PM

This contract is going to be a huge albatross for Tampa.

Richards puts up good numbers because he HAD a great support cast including the league MVP (St.Louis), an alleged next big superstar (Lecaviliar), a sniper (Modin) and a great PP quarterback (Prospal). I don't think Tampa can afford them all, especially with other needs of their team not being addressed.

This is going too look much like the Yashin contract in Long Island where they can't support him with good players.

At least Washington is paying 1/2 Jagr's contract.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#28 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,793 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:59 PM

tri-
what did you think elias was going to get (regardless from whom) before richards' deal? what do you think he's going to get now?

and you're dead on with gomez. his arbitration number will be bad enough to swallow for next year.

it's going to take a good GM to convince good players that it's about winning with a group and that in the devils case, elias at $7.9, gomez at $6, rafalski and gionta at $4, and marty at $5.2 won't win anything.

I thought he was going to re-sign for 24.5 over 4 - now I see it as 26 over 4 or 32 over 5. I think some teams will offer him more money but not much more.

It's not about winning with a group, it's about having low-priced players who play very well. Look at the 4 teams remaining and you'll notice something - Hemsky, Lupul, Staal, and various Sabres are all way below market price because they're young. These teams couldn't possibly be assembled as is if not for these players. It's becoming clear that some teams will build smartly through the market and others won't - Tampa will be one that won't. I just don't see some team offering Elias the moon when they just don't have the room to do anything else when they do that.

Clubs also have to be predicting that revenues and thus the salary cap will continue to rise.

#29 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:00 PM

I think TB screwed itself more than it screwed the NHL. I don't think $20 million for three forwards is a winning formula.

#30 brylin18

brylin18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:02 PM

because of this deal, i think gomez will get a 1 year deal this summer and walk next year. i think next year's offseason will be huge for the devils. lou has to be hoping and praying that zajac, tallackson, bergfors, or whoever else they have down there will be ready to move up, because the team could be depleted of top two line talent very soon.

out of the devils current top six forwards, i think only gionta, and possibly elias, stick around past next summer.

#31 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:04 PM

because of this deal, i think gomez will get a 1 year deal this summer and walk next year. i think next year's offseason will be huge for the devils. lou has to be hoping and praying that zajac, tallackson, bergfors, or whoever else they have down there will be ready to move up, because the team could be depleted of top two line talent very soon.

out of the devils current top six forwards, i think only gionta, and possibly elias, stick around past next summer.

If the Devils are to continue to be a good team, there is no question that the Devils need the young players to step in and contribute.

#32 brylin18

brylin18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:06 PM

It's not about winning with a group, it's about having low-priced players who play very well. Look at the 4 teams remaining and you'll notice something - Hemsky, Lupul, Staal, and various Sabres are all way below market price because they're young. These teams couldn't possibly be assembled as is if not for these players.

i agree completely. the devils have to get lucky and pull out a top six forward from their group of prospects. the teams remaining in the playoffs have young, elite forwards that that have an impact far beyond what their salaries would suggest.

#33 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,793 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:16 PM

Well you're forgetting about Parise, but yeah, Gomez could walk next summer. I still wouldn't sign either Gomez or Gionta to a long-term deal based on this season because I'm not convinced they can sustain that kind of production. Still, there's only a limited amount of money available to sign players - will other teams really have this kind of cash laying around? Even if the salary cap doesn't stagnate, teams have to sign their RFAs, and teams with big-time UFAs are still more likely to retain them simply because their club is already budgeted for the guy as an arbitration-eligible RFA.

I think we've had these pessimistic walk scenarios around for years, back when Brodeur and Stevens were sure to walk. Lou somehow found a way then.

#34 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:23 PM

Elias talks about how having the chance to win is important. As far as I'm concerned, those words mean little if he demands a max contract.

By the way, does Brad Richards even need an agent? And that Jay Feaster, he's some negotiator! :rolleyes:

Brad Richards' agent: "We want a five-year contract at the max salary."

Feaster: "Done deal. Let's have lunch, on me."

#35 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:36 PM

I still wouldn't sign either Gomez or Gionta to a long-term deal based on this season because I'm not convinced they can sustain that kind of production.

I think we've had these pessimistic walk scenarios around for years, back when Brodeur and Stevens were sure to walk. Lou somehow found a way then.

gomez has earned a multi year deal (4/20) right now. he's produced for a number of years. and in comparison to richards, he could even get 6/year.

both stevens and brodeur really never entertained thoughts of leaving (the last 4 years of stevens i mean). stevens was an out of cap deal. marty took less to stay and elias has said he won't. really can't compare.

i'm now considering elias gone. i'm trying to convince myself that 3 players like markov, kubina, and perhaps trading for one year of havlat is better than elias (which it's not).

20082719943.png
-

#36 RolandNJD

RolandNJD

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:58 PM

How many teams are going to completely screw themselves over like this? In the past, a deal like this was certainly bad news, but the cap forces GMs to have at least some common sense. This scenario will likely not be repeated.

I wish I could agree with you, but there are bound to be a few other Feaster's out there.
Go Devils.

#37 emptynet

emptynet

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:14 PM

This doesnt make things harder for Lou.

Before the Richards signing I saw Lou offering Patty something in the very high 7's to low 8's.

If you really thought Lou was going to sign Patty for 5.7 - 6.5 million your out of your mind. That would never happen...the only way Lou could pull that off was if he could tell Patty that the Devils will 100% guaranteed win 4 cups over the next 5 years.

Feaster just shot himslef in the foot...he has THREE players locked up in 21 million of cap room...a little less half of what's predicted for next seasons cap.

This signing does not affect Elias and his asking price, it's not like you would think Patty was in the low 6's but now it brings him into the 8's. He was already in the 8's...but as someone else said, it does affect Gomers asking price. Most likey Gomer (still a year away from being a UFA) is starting to lick his chops now. As I've said before, if we sign Patty, Gomer is most likely gone...just like if we signed Nieder last season, Lou probably wouldnt have the money for Patty this year.
"He tried to run him into next week and only got a day and a half..." Doc Emeric

I think I need to go home and lie down... nothing makes sense any more. - MDDEVSFAN

Official Keeper of the Devils locker room

#38 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:42 PM

This is awful. This is incredibly awful. I mean, if you can't sign super-stars what can you do... I mean, you'd have to build a whole team like say, a Buffalo, or a Carolina, or an Oilers....

If teams want to build one line and overpay these star players, by all means. Good job addressing your primary need Tampa. Maybe you can ask Brad to wear the pads?
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#39 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:46 PM

Three things to think about here...

1. Lou just lost all his remaing hair

2. Brad Richards just made a bid to buy Prince Edward Island on eBay

3. Patrik Elias no longer needs an agent because Brad Richards/Jay Feaster just resolved that issue for him

What a summer!!!!

#40 emptynet

emptynet

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:53 PM

2. Brad Richards just made a bid to buy Prince Edward Island on eBay

LOL that's great!!!!
"He tried to run him into next week and only got a day and a half..." Doc Emeric

I think I need to go home and lie down... nothing makes sense any more. - MDDEVSFAN

Official Keeper of the Devils locker room

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users