66 replies to this topic

#41 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,261 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:54 PM

I love Patty but if he is asking more than $6 million a season I would let him walk, no single NHL player in a salary cap era is worth it.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#42 Guest_troycrowder25_*

Guest_troycrowder25_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:57 PM

This is a killer. I think Elias will get almost the same type of deal as Richards, unfortunately not from the Devils.

This reminds me alot of last offseason with Niedermayer and Rafalski. Lou can't sign Nieds settles for Rafalski. This time its Elias or Langenbrunner, Lou can't afford Elias and will keep Langenbrunner. We are constantly settling for the second tier player and instead of being a contender I think we'll be lucky to make the playoffs next year.

It's time like this that makes me appreciate Stevens and Brodeur, even more than I already do. Two superstars taking less than market value just to stay with Devils. Very rare.

#43 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:06 PM

Oh boy, the not making the playoffs talk next season is already starting to come out. :lol: Can't people wait until at least halfway into next season before making that wrong prediction, like this season?

I love Patty but if he is asking more than $6 million a season I would let him walk, no single NHL player in a salary cap era is worth it.

It would depend on how your team was set up. If you had a lot of good young players then you could afford to overpay for a veteran as long as you made his contract expiring be at the same time as your good young players contracts coming due as well. So for that situation a player could be worth over 6 million dollars to that team.

Edited by Devils731, 22 May 2006 - 03:07 PM.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#44 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:16 PM

See, when I head Feaster give a talk at my alma mater, he seemed very intelligent and like he was a shrewd businessman.

Scratch that, now.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#45 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:21 PM

See, when I head Feaster give a talk at my alma mater, he seemed very intelligent and like he was a shrewd businessman.

Scratch that, now.

Maybe he has a trade worked out for Richards already and plans to land this anchor of a contract on another team....ok, probably not.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#46 annabelle

annabelle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:25 PM

maybe more guys will be like Marty and settle for less to stay somewhere they REALLy love...lmao in a perfect world...NOT A CHANCE!! :P
This post was brought to you by the letters, D, P & H

"I wasn't trying to be funny. If I was you would have noticed because you'd be laughing.."-C.G 04/14/07

"The winters of my childhood were long, long seasons. we lived in three places, the school, the church, and the skating rink. But our real life was on the skating rink" (from the back of the 5 Dollar bill, proof that Canada IS hockey country..)

Loyalty above all, Save honour

15 seconds left, your team is down a goal...Are YOU in the parking lot or still in the stands?

OFFICIAL MEMBER OF Team Awesome.ca...KEEPING MANITOBA AWESOME!!!!

"FLAMES FANS- the new generation of the 90's Leaf fans, naive and stupid with no actual hockey intelligence..(which is expected when 80% of your fanbase are bandwagoners who started watching April 2004)"- PureTalent#19

Keeper of the Sprite in Marty's water bottle
Posted Image

#47 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:39 PM

Toronto will offer Elias max, IMO.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#48 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,261 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:08 PM

Then they will have too drop McCabe, because Sundin is already a drain on their budget.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#49 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:52 PM

I think this shows the salary cap cycle we will see.... if the Devs can get back to their old system, they are fine.

The salary cap era will have teams rotating from celler dwellers to pretenders, to bottom 4, to top 4, to bottom 4, to pretenders to celler dwellers... repeat.

The only way to compete is to have a strong young players coming from your farm. The best way to ensure that is to get high draft picks... Once your draft picks start performing (For cheap) you can sign top-end talent and win a cup (but get crappy draft picks relatively). As the team gets older and more experienced (Nieds, Gomez, Gio, Elias, etc), they will gradually leave for a team with the younger players with the cap space to sign a top end talent. NJ will fall into the cellar, collect the draft picks, and repeat.

If NJ can return to getting steals in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and later rounds, NJ can break the cycle and stay how they have been for the past 10 years -- a steady force. As players leave, we replace them from the farm and then we get the late season acuisition to compliment the team. But if we arent get draft steals, we can't sustain as an elite team forever, we have to visit the cellar and bounce back.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#50 bruins4777

bruins4777

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:45 PM

richards is really good...but he doesn't deserve this much...neither did lecavlieroverrated. i guess feaster likes huge overpaid contracts...

i thought the market for guys like richards or elias would be around 6 mil to 6.5 especially with thornton and iggy signing for 6.66 and 7 million...guess that doesnt matter anymore.

i can offer a thought of optimism though...although it might not be exactly the same, becuase it deals with goalies
khabibulin signed for a boatload and i thought that might break the market, but brodeur ended up signing for 5.2, granted brodeur signed under, but i think turco, puffy, and theodore all signed for around 5 million

Edited by bruins4777, 22 May 2006 - 05:49 PM.

Posted Image

Hahahaha...long overdue. Now they need to get rid of Jacobs.

The problem is, NJ only plays them 4 times a year. We were only able to get them to trade JT and fire the idiot GM. If we played them 8 times a year, maybe Jacobs might have an epiphany and sell the team.

#51 RolandNJD

RolandNJD

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:45 PM

Say they do, but also say Elias IS serious about being on a winning team. I think the Leafs are a little too in "limbo" to have a Cup contender in the next 2-3 years.

If Elias goes anywhere else, I really don't see him in T.O.

But I think the real question here is: why can't my boss be more like Feaster? I want a max contract. I'm an MVP to my work too.

Cheers,
- Roland
Go Devils.

#52 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:56 PM

Comment fromt he peanut gallery -- I'd like it a lot if Devil fans had more faith in Gomez :(

I'm here for the party

#53 RolandNJD

RolandNJD

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:20 PM

I have faith in Gomez.

Am I the only one that really LIKES Gomez?
Go Devils.

#54 sandman441

sandman441

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:22 PM

Comment fromt he peanut gallery -- I'd like it a lot if Devil fans had more faith in Gomez :(

So would I. I try and stay out of Gomez discussions though.

#55 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,241 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:27 PM

faith in gomez? i'd love to keep him. hell, i'd sign him for 4/20 tommorow. too bad he won't take it.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#56 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,850 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:39 PM

I love Richards. He's the best player on that team. Most consistent too.

But he got too much. I don't see how it affects the rest of the league. As Tri pointed out, Richards is 26 and in his prime. He will be awesome for years.

If Tampa can find a goalie, they'll be set.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#57 sandman441

sandman441

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:27 PM

faith in gomez? i'd love to keep him. hell, i'd sign him for 4/20 tommorow. too bad he won't take it.

You never know.

#58 Vinnie

Vinnie

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:37 PM

I wonder how those negotiations went...

"I want the max for 5 years."
"Ok."

#59 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:40 PM

I have faith in Gomez.

Am I the only one that really LIKES Gomez?

I love Gomez to. He is a great #1 Center who has great passing skills, and this year his shot really developed nicely. I hope the Devils keep him for a while.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#60 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,241 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:47 PM

You never know.

actually, i can tell you (kinda) that i do. as of a month ago, he felt his was a 5/27 player, and that was before this nonsense. he'll stay, but not for a discount at all.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users