• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:33 AM

Newark Attractions:

Museums:
Newark Museum
New Jersey Historical Society
Museum of African American Music (proposed/under construction)
New Jersey Jewish Museum (proposed)

Concert Venues:
New Jersey Performing Arts Center
Symphony Hall
Newark Arena (proposed)
PSE&G Plaza (outdoor amphitheater)

Notable Parks:
Branch Brook Park
Weequahic Park
Minish Park (proposed)
Military Park
Washington Park
Lincoln Park

Architecturally Significant Buildings:
National Newark Building (home of the Devils front office)
Pennsylvania Station
Old First Church
Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart
Raymond-Commerce Building
Essex County Courthouse
Ballantine House (part of Newark Museum)
Broad Street Train Station
New Jersey Central Railroad Station (now a portion of Newark Arena)
There are many more of these but these are off the top of my head...

Clubs:
Here's a list of clubs in Newark

Restaurants:
Here's a list of restaurants in Newark

But the funny thing is that with all this stuff in the city (and plenty more that I forgot about or didn't think to mention) no one in New Jersey knows about it. The Arena will get people coming into the city on a regular basis and maybe a few start looking around and wondering about some of the things they see on the way in and out. You better believe that Newark will take full advantage of hosting an NHL All-Star game when the arena's built and the publicity the city gets when that happens. I'm sure they'll also try and get the Final Four and various other different high profile events. All this is more advertising than anything the city could pull off without the arena. People know what there is to see in Washington. People around Cleveland know what Cleveland has. People in New Jersey haven't a clue what they've got in Newark. Most people 40 and under have never actually gotten off the highway into the city of Newark before unless it was accidental. This will be a huge step in reversing that and letting the state and the country know what Newark has.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#42 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:00 PM

Let's be honest though... the smell has a LOT to do with that. How many people know what beautiful downtown Gary Indiana has to offer either... :yucky: Honest that's what kept me away until I had a job at the Prudential Center - on occasion I go to Iberia.

What about Trenton? Thats' a beautiful city that needs help. how much do the Titans bring to that city?

I'm honestly curious. I am not at all against a Newark arena.

Is there any chance the Nets would join the Devils if the Brooklyn deal falls through?

I'm here for the party

#43 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:14 PM

The Titans don't get national coverage. Its the equivalent of asking what the Newark Bears do for Newark.

#44 rbdf

rbdf

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:39 PM

Let's be honest though... the smell has a LOT to do with that. How many people know what beautiful downtown Gary Indiana has to offer either... :yucky: Honest that's what kept me away until I had a job at the Prudential Center - on occasion I go to Iberia.

What about Trenton? Thats' a beautiful city that needs help. how much do the Titans bring to that city?

I'm honestly curious. I am not at all against a Newark arena.

Is there any chance the Nets would join the Devils if the Brooklyn deal falls through?

I had federal court jury duty in trenton, the court officer told us not to venture more than two blocks away from the court house. Trenton really needs to be bombed at this point, if there is anything "beautiful" there, you'd need a pirate's buried treasure map to find it.

If the nets brooklyn deal falls through, chances are the owner would sell them - he's using the nets as a means of doing a large real estate development, without the realestate deal, he has no need for the nets.

#45 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:37 PM

ND 5 we can beat this to death.

Newark had a comprehensive economic development plan going back to 1978. The basic plan was to build from the Newark airport up throught the center of the city using Route 21 (McCarter highway) and Broard street as the main focus. Prudential had agreed to leave the Eastern Home office in Newark but because of failure of the City to follow the plan they moved the Eastern Home office to Wayne NJ. Then Newark built the PAC close to Route 21 and the Stadium for the Newark Bears. The City of Newark and it's people got nothing from these ventures. Then the FBI took prime property on the river (no RE taxes) along Route 21 and it did nothing for Newark and it's people. The water front hasn't been developed. Because the plan got diverted to the Newark Arena for the Devils. The new Arena will do nothing for Newark and it's people.

The failure of the City of Newark to follow the original plan has cause a splinter effect and it only benefits the owners of the NJ Devils. They can't draw in the present CAA and won't in Newark becuase of failures within the Devils marketing organization and Devils greed.

Newark will again lose out like the Past two or three changes to the master plan.

I sincerely hope that I am wrong but I don't think so.

ND5 you can talk education all you want but that's a nit to the overall development plan for Newark. It's the typical spin that the Devils use.

Don't be so selfish and screw the Devils. ND5 think the City of Newark and it's people.

Let the Devils move to another State. I doubt that anyone wants them when it comes to taxpayer dollars.

Newark is building off of the hospitals and the CMD in Newark that will help.

The Devils have done nothing for anyone, period. What they won 3 cups so how much food does that put on the table of the poor. While winning 3 Cups they continue to lose money and fans at CAA. The joke has been that there isn't anyone in the seats during the playoffs for the Devils.

I don't want to debate this failed plan any longer. I won't reply. I just hope that Newark can find a way to demand more from the Devils or break the arena plan. It's up to the courts.

Edited by LucifersDog, 31 May 2006 - 07:42 PM.

#46 njdevz89

njdevz89

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:21 PM

ND 5 we can beat this to death.

Newark had a comprehensive economic development plan going back to 1978. The basic plan was to build from the Newark airport up throught the center of the city using Route 21 (McCarter highway) and Broard street as the main focus. Prudential had agreed to leave the Eastern Home office in Newark but because of failure of the City to follow the plan they moved the Eastern Home office to Wayne NJ. Then Newark built the PAC close to Route 21 and the Stadium for the Newark Bears. The City of Newark and it's people got nothing from these ventures. Then the FBI took prime property on the river (no RE taxes) along Route 21 and it did nothing for Newark and it's people. The water front hasn't been developed. Because the plan got diverted to the Newark Arena for the Devils. The new Arena will do nothing for Newark and it's people.

The failure of the City of Newark to follow the original plan has cause a splinter effect and it only benefits the owners of the NJ Devils. They can't draw in the present CAA and won't in Newark becuase of failures within the Devils marketing organization and Devils greed.

Newark will again lose out like the Past two or three changes to the master plan.

I sincerely hope that I am wrong but I don't think so.

ND5 you can talk education all you want but that's a nit to the overall development plan for Newark. It's the typical spin that the Devils use.

Don't be so selfish and screw the Devils. ND5 think the City of Newark and it's people.

Let the Devils move to another State. I doubt that anyone wants them when it comes to taxpayer dollars.

Newark is building off of the hospitals and the CMD in Newark that will help.

The Devils have done nothing for anyone, period. What they won 3 cups so how much food does that put on the table of the poor. While winning 3 Cups they continue to lose money and fans at CAA. The joke has been that there isn't anyone in the seats during the playoffs for the Devils.

I don't want to debate this failed plan any longer. I won't reply. I just hope that Newark can find a way to demand more from the Devils or break the arena plan. It's up to the courts.

lucifers dog no offense but you are the most pessimistic person i have ever met, normally i would respect yuor ideas but what you have written is plain bs and really negative. you say that the devils havent given aything to nj, how about 3 cups, or a great sports team. it seems to me that you want the devils to be some kind of miracle worker like jesus and save the world, REALTY CHECK THEY ARE A HOCKEY TEAM. this arena will help newark alot, for example my family doesnt go to newark, but now that the devs are moving there i will get some kind of season plan. oh btw i believe you said that the money should be given for schools, let me inform you about something, nj has given over 1 billion dolars to newark and it really hasnt helped, so trust me 200 million wont do anything. if yuo want to improve schools tell parents to discipline their children better, like make them study, or keep them of the streets.

#47 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:21 PM

There are various things in my opinion wrong about your argument, but I will agree to disagree with you.

#48 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:44 PM

I guess you won't be attending any games in Newark, eh GetReal?

And what happens if they do "break the arena plan"? Who's going to be responsible for removing the half-built arena?
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#49 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:09 PM

I
And what happens if they do "break the arena plan"? Who's going to be responsible for removing the half-built arena?

I think the cost of removal is in the contract. It is born by the Devils if the fail to come forth with funds on a timely basis. They have already missed some schedules as the project has gone on.

But it could be converted to something else by someone else without the Newark give aways.

As for going to games, I probably can't afford the new higher prices, should it ever open for Devils hockey.

I can't afford next seasons ticket price increase at CAA.

Edited by LucifersDog, 31 May 2006 - 09:10 PM.

#50 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:47 PM

I think the cost of removal is in the contract. It is born by the Devils if the fail to come forth with funds on a timely basis. They have already missed some schedules as the project has gone on.

Wasn't this already resolved? I seem to remember the Devils being required to produce their entire share of the money (or prove that they had it) or else the project would stop... they're still building, so I'm assuming the Devils' end of the finances are satisfactory.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#51 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:56 PM

LD or GR, clearly doesn't like Newark, NJ or the Devils. He wants failure, that will make him very happy.

Edited by LizDevil30, 01 June 2006 - 09:10 AM.

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#52 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:05 PM

Redevelopment doesn't happen overnight, or with one project. Providence, RI has been under "redevelopment" since the '40s (admittedly the "redevelopment" started with razing buildings for parking lots), and it didn't become a "safe" city until the '90s. Newark is now where Providence was in the '70s, just beginning to build "destination" attractions.

article: http://www.courant.c...,0,534984.story

Edited by David Puddy, 31 May 2006 - 11:08 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users