15 replies to this topic

#1 oilers88cup

oilers88cup

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:05 PM

The Edmonton Oilers have decided to use the New York Rangers practice site in Tarrytown,NY.They want to get used to the poor ice conditions of a warmer arena.Not a bad move move I guess.Let's hope they don't catch rangeritis!Any thoughts on this topic Devils fans?
Go Oilers Go!

#2 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,614 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:13 PM

If I was the Rangers, I'd take that as an insult! :lol:
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#3 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,596 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:19 PM

If I was the Rangers, I'd take that as an insult! :lol:

They probably setup the whole thing. Messier probably had something to do with it too I bet. :doh1:
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#4 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:27 PM

Here is what I am wondering about teams in "colder places" that have better ice surfaces then teams in warmer places:

Let's examine Edmonton vs Buffalo scenario.....look at the 10 day outlook for weather in both locations:

Edmonton

Buffalo

The temps are virtually the same....in fact some days it is warmer in Edmonton! :lol:

So what does this tell us? Not really sure...maybe the Oilers are doing this to get ready for a matchup with the Canes just as much as if it were Buffalo...so is it something that they are doing in Edmonton that makes the ice surface that much better? the temp has to be hot in the arena in Edmonton too, those fans goes beserk!! So what else could it be? :noclue:

Edited by LOTCB, 31 May 2006 - 08:34 PM.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#5 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:29 PM

to get them out of the madhouse that is Edmonton at this point?
let them stay focused on hockey and not all the insanity going on up there?
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#6 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,282 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:21 PM

Why did they pick tarry town, and more importantly, why does tarry town have an ice rink 0o

#7 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,596 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:25 PM

Why did they pick tarry town, and more importantly, why does tarry town have an ice rink 0o

Because that is where the Rangers built it? It's like asking why does West Orange have an ice rink, although its location probably didn't have input from the Devils. Don't a lot of the Rangers reside up there? :noclue:
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#8 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,614 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:44 PM

Tarrytown? I thought the Rangers practiced in Rye?
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#9 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:46 PM

Not since 2002 Rowdy, I believe the MSG Training Center is in Greenburgh, NY..right around Tarrytown if I am not mistaken

#10 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,282 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:22 PM

it be neat if they had open to the public practices =)

#11 Vinnie

Vinnie

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:01 AM

Here is what I am wondering about teams in "colder places" that have better ice surfaces then teams in warmer places:

Let's examine Edmonton vs Buffalo scenario.....look at the 10 day outlook for weather in both locations:

Edmonton

Buffalo

The temps are virtually the same....in fact some days it is warmer in Edmonton! :lol:

So what does this tell us? Not really sure...maybe the Oilers are doing this to get ready for a matchup with the Canes just as much as if it were Buffalo...so is it something that they are doing in Edmonton that makes the ice surface that much better? the temp has to be hot in the arena in Edmonton too, those fans goes beserk!! So what else could it be? :noclue:

Buffalo (and Raleigh) has a higher humidity.

#12 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:27 AM

The facility at Greenburgh is really an MSG training center. There is a full gym for the Knicks and Liberty the other section is the hockey area for the Rangers. I'll bet the reason they picked that facillity is that is not open to the general public. It is for use ONLY by MSG's teams. When they were building it I was thinking hey that looks like a hockey rink going up, maybe I could skate there at lunch time. (I'm 5 minutes away and I pass it everyday going to work.) Then I found out it was closed to the public. Never been in it, looks nice from the outside though. B )
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#13 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:43 AM

From the NY Times:

New York Is Edmonton's Home Away From Home
http://www.nytimes.c...r=1&oref=slogin

By JOHN BRANCH
Published: June 1, 2006
EDMONTON, Alberta, May 31 The Edmonton Oilers were looking to get away from the distractions of northern Alberta. The quiet oasis they have chosen is New York.

Stuck in hockey's equivalent of a holding pattern, with nine days separating their clinching of the Western Conference title against Anaheim and the start of the Stanley Cup finals on Monday in Buffalo or Raleigh, N.C., the Oilers searched for a temporary home where they could focus on their championship aspirations.

The team's leaders, General Manager Kevin Lowe and Coach Craig MacTavish, decided to leave one place where they won multiple Stanley Cups together as players and head to where they won another.

Lowe and MacTavish, part of the Oilers' N.H.L. dynasty of the 1980's, played on the 1994 Rangers team that won the Stanley Cup, the first for the franchise since 1940.

The Oilers planned to fly to New York on Thursday and practice for a day or two at the Rangers' practice facility in Greenburgh, N.Y., MacTavish said. The Buffalo Sabres and the Carolina Hurricanes play Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals on Thursday night, and the winner will be the host for the first two games of the Stanley Cup finals.

Lowe said the decision to go to New York, roughly midway between Buffalo and Raleigh, had less to do with history and superstition, and more to do with geography, weather and a two-hour time change.

"We wanted to get in the Eastern time zone," Lowe said during a conference call with reporters. "And it's very humid in the East right now, and Edmonton has a very dry climate, so we just figured that might be a good thing."

In the Oilers' locker room an hour earlier, MacTavish said the team wanted to pull players from the distractions of home. The Oilers, despite the long layoff and an uncertain opponent, have dominated the news all week in Edmonton, a hockey hotbed.

Lowe and MacTavish helped stir Edmonton's hockey craze a generation ago. As a player, Lowe was with the Oilers for all five of their Stanley Cup victories, from 1984 to 1990. MacTavish was here for the last three.

The two were reunited with the Rangers, who were led by the former Oiler Mark Messier. Lowe, a defenseman, was in his second of three seasons with the Rangers when they won the Stanley Cup. MacTavish, a center, was traded by the Oilers in March 1994 and played the final 12 regular-season games for the Rangers before helping them to a championship.

If the Oilers win the Stanley Cup, Lowe and MacTavish will be the second twosome in N.H.L. history to win as teammates, and as general manager and coach. Lester Patrick was the Rangers' general manager and Frank Boucher was the coach when they won the championship in 1940. They played together when the Rangers won the Cup in 1928.

#14 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:49 PM

The facility at Greenburgh is really an MSG training center. There is a full gym for the Knicks and Liberty the other section is the hockey area for the Rangers. I'll bet the reason they picked that facillity is that is not open to the general public. It is for use ONLY by MSG's teams. When they were building it I was thinking hey that looks like a hockey rink going up, maybe I could skate there at lunch time. (I'm 5 minutes away and I pass it everyday going to work.) Then I found out it was closed to the public. Never been in it, looks nice from the outside though. B )

Rock, I've been inside it last summer and it's a top notch facility. Great weight room.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#15 annabelle

annabelle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:59 PM

The team had to get away from all their drunken bandwagoner fans...If only they would stay in Ny so I wouldn't have to hear about them all the time.. :argh:
This post was brought to you by the letters, D, P & H

"I wasn't trying to be funny. If I was you would have noticed because you'd be laughing.."-C.G 04/14/07

"The winters of my childhood were long, long seasons. we lived in three places, the school, the church, and the skating rink. But our real life was on the skating rink" (from the back of the 5 Dollar bill, proof that Canada IS hockey country..)

Loyalty above all, Save honour

15 seconds left, your team is down a goal...Are YOU in the parking lot or still in the stands?

OFFICIAL MEMBER OF Team Awesome.ca...KEEPING MANITOBA AWESOME!!!!

"FLAMES FANS- the new generation of the 90's Leaf fans, naive and stupid with no actual hockey intelligence..(which is expected when 80% of your fanbase are bandwagoners who started watching April 2004)"- PureTalent#19

Keeper of the Sprite in Marty's water bottle
Posted Image

#16 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:02 PM

AP via MSG network:
http://www.msgnetwor...lers&league=nhl

Oilers settling nicely into Rangers' facility in preparation for Cup

Jun 02, 2006
GREENBURGH, N.Y. (AP) - The Edmonton Oilers are making themselves quite comfortable in their home away from home as they prepare for the opening game of the Stanley Cup final Monday night at Carolina.

The NHL's Western Conference champions are living large at the New York Rangers' training center in this sleepy suburb 25 miles north of Manhattan, where they will stay through Sunday.

The facility, which is less than four years old, features an 1,800-sqare-foot, state-of-the-art weight room next to the locker room. There is also a well-appointed lounge with a pool table, pingpong table, refreshment center and high-definition television.

"You could get spoiled here, that's for sure," forward Ryan Smyth said Friday. "It's got everything you need. We're very fortunate. It's what we needed right now, at this time."

More important for the Oilers' purposes, it is far away from the scrutiny and hype in their home city, which is starved for a Stanley Cup after a 16-year drought. It is also roughly midway between Buffalo and Carolina, who were still playing in the Eastern Conference finals when Edmonton eliminated Anaheim in five games on May 27.

The Hurricanes beat Buffalo 4-2 in Game 7 on Thursday night.

"We started thinking about it when we went to Anaheim for Game 5," Oilers coach Craig MacTavish said. "We wanted to get out East and started to throw some ideas around of where we were going to go. This was our first choice because we knew the facility is away from a lot of the distractions."

Facing an eight-day layoff, the Oilers considered going to Niagara Falls to train, but decided on the New York metropolitan area. It didn't hurt that McTavish and Oilers GM Kevin Lowe are both former Rangers.

"It's not so much being in Edmonton, but being in the finals it's a case where the ticket requests and managing the calls from family and booking flights for your family and all that stuff, it can be really disruptive," MacTavish said. "We knew we wanted to go somewhere. This worked out fine for us.

"We've said we'd be happy to reciprocate if New York's out there in the finals against Vancouver or something and they want a facility to use. We'd be happy to do that."

After a crisp one-hour, 15-minute practice Friday, players were upbeat as they shifted their focus to Carolina, which has won 12 of its last 16 games since opening the playoffs with back-to-back losses to Montreal.

"Today was our best practice since we've been back," defenseman Jason Smith said. "We had a lot of energy, and there was that nervous intensity you want to have. You want to have that edge when the series starts."

The Oilers won five Stanley Cups between 1984 and 1990 but had not advanced past the first round of the playoffs since 1998. That explains in part the reaction of Edmonton fans, whose celebration on downtown streets after the team defeated Anaheim got out of hand.

The situation prompting the team to have Smyth and other players tape public-service announcements urging calm.

"All the greatest guys played there. The history is there, so everybody follows hockey," forward Radek Dvorak said. "The craziness is there during the game and even in the streets before and after the games. We're part of that and it's unbelievable."

Edmonton has already confounded the experts by advancing farther than any No. 8 seed since the NHL went to the current seeding format in 1994.

"I wouldn't feel that we're overachieving," Smyth said. "I just think we've got some well-rounded depth on our hockey team and it's just a matter of getting an opportunity once you get in the playoffs, and we're making the most of it right now."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users