48 replies to this topic

#21 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,484 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:39 AM

Right now, I would absolutely love to wager. Jagr was incredible last season, no doubt. But he provided 80% of the Ranger offense. He did great because there were no expectations and no pressure---everyone assumed based on the roster--- that they would finish last and were underestimated by everyone.

When the pressure is on Jagr disappears and is easily frustrated (see playoffs) and feigns injury. He does his best when he plays with Straka, whom I believe they maynot re-sign. Lunqvist is the goalie flavor of the year, but lets see how they respond early this season, when the refs don't make the early season calls they did like last year. I don't see alot of GREAT talent in their young players aside from Prucha and maybe Staal.

Pittsburgh, Florida and maybe Atlanta (if they have a goalie for the full season) will take the Rangers and Tampa spot for the final playoff spot.

Even with Malkin, Pittsburgh has a long way to go - they will be a lot better off but they desperately need a defense. Florida isn't any better and probably won't be after free agency - for all the young players getting better, they should have older players getting worse. Atlanta should compete but they have salary cap issues and won't be as good up front. The team that really could decline are the Devils if they don't sign Elias, the Flyers if Carter and Richards start the season where they left off in the playoffs, and the Canadiens who really aren't that good and aren't that bad - if Huet comes back to Earth they're probably not a playoff team.

When the pressure is on Jagr, he often dominates. He got hurt and tried to come back unsucessfully. I expect him to be top 10 in the NHL in points once again. The Rangers will almost certainly resign Straka (Nylander is another issue altogether), since Straka and the Rangers are both smart enough to realize this guy stinks without Jagr and always has, or maybe we should find some Islanders fans to talk about him. You're right that they don't have any great young talent, but Tyutin should be better, as should Moore and Lundqvist. They should get Karel Rachunek back from Omsk or wherever he was hiding. Bottom line is that the Rangers actually have a team now - even if Jagr falls back into his Washington form, they could still make the playoffs.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#22 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:44 AM

Nylander is signed for next year already, Tri. Did you mean Rucinsky??? He's the other Czech forward that was there all year that is a UFA. Both he and Straka made $3M apiece.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#23 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:17 PM

Link found on Kuklas
[b]
The fourth hot rumour is out of Buffalo, where the Sabres currently have only three players under contract. Word has it the team can't afford to re-sign unrestricted free agent defencemen Teppo Numminen and Jay McKee, either of whom would look just fine in a Canucks jersey.

In all, 15 Sabres are in a position to take Buffalo to arbitration this summer and the list includes the core of the team, such as Daniel Briere, Ryan Miller, Maxim Afinogenov and J.P. Dumont.

Such is the price of success in the new NHL.

Cannot afford to sign Jay McKee and Teppo Numminen...are they Bobby Orr and Paul Coffey?? :noclue:

Sabres turn a profit and they might let both guys walk? Nice job if that happens :argh:

The more things change, the more things $tay the $ame

If the Sabres let both guys walk and do not go after a Kubina, Redden, Chara etc or even try to replace either guy....forget even coming close to the Cup next year Goli$ano.

Edited by LOTCB, 14 June 2006 - 12:25 PM.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#24 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,287 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:29 PM

Even with Malkin, Pittsburgh has a long way to go - they will be a lot better off but they desperately need a defense. Florida isn't any better and probably won't be after free agency - for all the young players getting better, they should have older players getting worse. Atlanta should compete but they have salary cap issues and won't be as good up front. The team that really could decline are the Devils if they don't sign Elias, the Flyers if Carter and Richards start the season where they left off in the playoffs, and the Canadiens who really aren't that good and aren't that bad - if Huet comes back to Earth they're probably not a playoff team.

When the pressure is on Jagr, he often dominates. He got hurt and tried to come back unsucessfully. I expect him to be top 10 in the NHL in points once again. The Rangers will almost certainly resign Straka (Nylander is another issue altogether), since Straka and the Rangers are both smart enough to realize this guy stinks without Jagr and always has, or maybe we should find some Islanders fans to talk about him. You're right that they don't have any great young talent, but Tyutin should be better, as should Moore and Lundqvist. They should get Karel Rachunek back from Omsk or wherever he was hiding. Bottom line is that the Rangers actually have a team now - even if Jagr falls back into his Washington form, they could still make the playoffs.

Pittsburgh started getting it together towards the end of last year as did Florida.

Jagr dominated when he had Mario, since then he doesn't advance past the first round, provided his temam gets in the playoffs. I expect to see the Jagr from Washington this season.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#25 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,484 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:01 PM

Pittsburgh started getting it together towards the end of last year as did Florida.

Jagr dominated when he had Mario, since then he doesn't advance past the first round, provided his temam gets in the playoffs. I expect to see the Jagr from Washington this season.

Jagr dominated when he had Mario?!?! Where do you get this - Jagr was a dominant force when Mario was out of the league. He only won 3 Art Ross Trophies when Mario was in retirement - sometimes I have no idea where your hockey history comes from.

Even Jagr from Washington was a point a game player playing under the old obstruction rules - he just wasn't great, he was only good.

Pittsburgh did start to get it together but their team is still some formless entity. Sergei Gonchar started playing decent instead of godawful and Crosby really had a strong finish to the season. Their free agent signings were mostly a complete disaster and it's unknown whether they have the money to sign a free agent defender - if they don't, they're unlikely to have a serious shot at the playoffs.

#26 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,287 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:42 PM

Who the hell cares about the Art Ross trophy? When is the last time he did anything in the playoffs?....when he had Mario which was my point.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#27 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,484 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:00 PM

Who the hell cares about the Art Ross trophy? When is the last time he did anything in the playoffs?....when he had Mario which was my point.

Who cares about the Art Ross Trophy? Uh, let's see, it only shows who the best scorer in the league is - not only did Jagr win it, he often won it going away or with 65 games played, he was that good.

The last time Jagr had Lemieux in the playoffs he was awful - in 2001 Jagr was a total non-factor against New Jersey, and it was clear he was sulking and wanted out of Pittsburgh. Without Lemieux it appears he scored 37 points in 26 playoff games from the years 98 to 2000 when he was racking up those Art Ross Trophies - yes, you're right, he did nothing. How do you say these things? Pittsburgh was atrocious without Jagr in the late 90s - a patchwork defense, patchwork up front, an average Tom Barrasso or horrid Ken Wregget in net. Jagr might be the greatest right wing of all time, and you think Mario Lemieux is responsible for his success? I just don't understand what you're talking about.

Edited by Triumph, 14 June 2006 - 04:03 PM.

#28 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:02 PM

Although, in 1999 Jagr played practically on one leg for only about half a series for the Pens against NJ and, as I remember, beat us anyway. He had his moments.

2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#29 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,484 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:03 PM

Although, in 1999 Jagr played practically on one leg for only about half a series for the Pens against NJ and, as I remember, beat us anyway. He had his moments.

Right. There was talk of Scott Stevens being finished considering how well an injured Jagr played against him.

#30 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,287 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:02 PM

Who cares about the Art Ross Trophy? Uh, let's see, it only shows who the best scorer in the league is - not only did Jagr win it, he often won it going away or with 65 games played, he was that good.

The last time Jagr had Lemieux in the playoffs he was awful - in 2001 Jagr was a total non-factor against New Jersey, and it was clear he was sulking and wanted out of Pittsburgh. Without Lemieux it appears he scored 37 points in 26 playoff games from the years 98 to 2000 when he was racking up those Art Ross Trophies - yes, you're right, he did nothing. How do you say these things? Pittsburgh was atrocious without Jagr in the late 90s - a patchwork defense, patchwork up front, an average Tom Barrasso or horrid Ken Wregget in net. Jagr might be the greatest right wing of all time, and you think Mario Lemieux is responsible for his success? I just don't understand what you're talking about.

Maybe I just don't associate Jagr with playoff hockey since he has only played 9 playoff games since 2001.
But he does have those Art Ross trophy's to polish every April.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#31 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,406 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:12 PM

So how is it Tri and Manta can take a thread with "Hot and Juicy" in the title and make it so... Tri and Manta? :doh1:

I'm here for the party

#32 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:25 PM

So how is it Tri and Manta can take a thread with "Hot and Juicy" in the title and make it so... Tri and Manta? :doh1:

Are you saything that "Tri and Manta" don't equal "Hot and Juicy"?

Is that it???

Or is it simply that there was no Stevens oggling in the thread anywhere...hmmm, PK???? :evil:

Edited by SueNJ97, 14 June 2006 - 07:25 PM.

#33 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,854 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:50 PM

Right now, I would absolutely love to wager. Jagr was incredible last season, no doubt. But he provided 80% of the Ranger offense. He did great because there were no expectations and no pressure---everyone assumed based on the roster--- that they would finish last and were underestimated by everyone.

When the pressure is on Jagr disappears and is easily frustrated (see playoffs) and feigns injury. He does his best when he plays with Straka, whom I believe they maynot re-sign. Lunqvist is the goalie flavor of the year, but lets see how they respond early this season, when the refs don't make the early season calls they did like last year. I don't see alot of GREAT talent in their young players aside from Prucha and maybe Staal.

Pittsburgh, Florida and maybe Atlanta (if they have a goalie for the full season) will take the Rangers and Tampa spot for the final playoff spot.

Jagr only did what he did because of the damn Devils. If it was any other playoff opponent, that injury never happens. That's why I said all along they were the one team I wanted no part of.

Also, I wouldn't bet against Lundqvist. He's in the Brodeur mold.

Again, it depends on what they do this summer. If they sit on their asses, then I agree. But if they make the necessary changes, they will be back and won't be easy pickings next Spring.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#34 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,287 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:44 PM

Also, I wouldn't bet against Lundqvist. He's in the Brodeur mold.
Again, it depends on what they do this summer. If they sit on their asses, then I agree. But if they make the necessary changes, they will be back and won't be easy pickings next Spring.

Every year a new goalie is in the Brodeur mold: Ward, Legace, Giguere, Nabokov, etc. Talk to me in five years then MAYBE you can consider "thinking" about that kind of comparison.

Right now Lundvist is nothing more than the new Dunham until proven otherwise.

I do agree, it depends on what happens in the off season, right now I am not impressed.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#35 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,854 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:52 PM

Every year a new goalie is in the Brodeur mold: Ward, Legace, Giguere, Nabokov, etc. Talk to me in five years then MAYBE you can consider "thinking" about that kind of comparison.

Right now Lundvist is nothing more than the new Dunham until proven otherwise.

I do agree, it depends on what happens in the off season, right now I am not impressed.

I don't usually do this. But I am so sick of it. So I'm going to tell you how I feel. When Lundqvist dominates the fvcking division for the next decade and leads the Rangers to a Cup and wins multiple Vezinas, what will you have to say then?

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#36 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:01 PM

I don't usually do this. But I am so sick of it. So I'm going to tell you how I feel. When Lundqvist dominates the fvcking division for the next decade and leads the Rangers to a Cup and wins multiple Vezinas, what will you have to say then?

Can we wait until he does it?

I ask because after Brodeur won the Calder and then a Stanley Cup with the Devils I still knew plenty of Ranger fans who insisted he was a flash in the pan and, in fact would never be anything, no matter how many awards or Cups he won, until he beat Richter in a playoff series. I still know some who insist that, since he never beat Richter in anything but the Olympics, he will still never compare to Mike. This despite 3 Cups and 2 Vezinas.

So maybe we just shouldn't go here, Derek.

#37 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:04 PM

And if he doesn't? Derek, what's wrong? You've been getting pissy in your posts lately. Chill and remember this is a DEVILS board, not the rag cafe. You can bow at the altar of Lundquist all you want there, but Manta is right, he is still a work in progress.
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#38 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,854 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:11 PM

Can we wait until he does it?

I ask because after Brodeur won the Calder and then a Stanley Cup with the Devils I still knew plenty of Ranger fans who insisted he was a flash in the pan and, in fact would never be anything, no matter how many awards or Cups he won, until he beat Richter in a playoff series. I still know some who insist that, since he never beat Richter in anything but the Olympics, he will still never compare to Mike. This despite 3 Cups and 2 Vezinas.

So maybe we just shouldn't go here, Derek.

I am sick of Manta labeling our star players. For once, I am going to be bold. Lundqvist was the best damn goalie in the Eastern Conference all year until he got hurt. And he gives me the same feeling Richter did. And I believe he'll be an even better netminder.

I am that confident that he'll reach that elite level and backstop the team to a fifth Cup.

And if he doesn't? Derek, what's wrong? You've been getting pissy in your posts lately. Chill and remember this is a DEVILS board, not the rag cafe. You can bow at the altar of Lundquist all you want there, but Manta is right, he is still a work in progress.

Nothing wrong. Manta likes to trash our players, even Jagr. I feel like dishing back for a change.

You won't see me calling Brian Gionta's 48-goal season a fluke.

#39 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,854 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:27 PM

Just wanted to add something to what Sue said about Brodeur. I'm not one of those fans who thought he was a fluke back in '94. I was convinced he was a great goalie after that. And he proved to be.

#40 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,484 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:10 AM

I don't know that Lundqvist will lead the Rangers to a Cup or win multiple Vezinas. I feel like he will have serious competition with M.A Fleury, Kari Lethonen, and Roberto Luongo for the Vezina every year, meaning he might win a few but it's not a guarantee, and as for the Cup, he'll have to get it soon because Jagr ain't here forever and when he leaves the Rangers will be in serious trouble.

I do know that he is way better than Legace and Nabokov. He is not a flash in the pan, and I would be willing to bet on that as well. This isn't Jim Carey - he already has a gold medal and is a stellar goaltender. I just have no idea how you can compare him to Mike Dunham - he's not Mike Dunham.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users