• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:49 AM

Link found on Kuklas

NHL rumours are super hot, juicy

David Pratt
The Province

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

In less than 18 days, 173 players -- including some of the best talent in the game -- will become unrestricted free agents.

It's a Boxing Day sale, a real-estate closing and a divorce settlement all wrapped up into one.

The first hot rumour comes out of Vancouver. Last week, a league source said Canucks defenceman Ed Jovanovski is "very interested" in playing for the Florida Panthers.

Thanks to the Toronto Maple Leafs and Bryan McCabe, Jovo will easily get more than $6 million per season no matter where he signs, so this is not about the money.

Last month, Jovo's wife, Kirstin, gave birth to twins in her hometown of Boca Raton, Fla. They've also bought a home in south Florida, where they and their four children now spend most of the offseason.

Rumour has it Jovo has already played his last game with the Canucks.

The second hot rumour also involves the Panthers. For the second straight year, goalie Roberto Luongo is expected to take Florida GM Mike Keenan to arbitration.

Such a move wouldn't allow the two sides to talk long-term contract until next January and would also allow Luongo to become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

Trading Luongo would certainly free up the needed money to sign Jovo.

The third hot rumour has unrestricted free agent defenceman Wade Redden going to the Anaheim Mighty Ducks.

Redden would be a great fit because the Ducks have lots of room under the cap and GM Brian Burke seems to enjoy the spotlight that goes with making the big deal.

The fourth hot rumour is out of Buffalo, where the Sabres currently have only three players under contract. Word has it the team can't afford to re-sign unrestricted free agent defencemen Teppo Numminen and Jay McKee, either of whom would look just fine in a Canucks jersey.

In all, 15 Sabres are in a position to take Buffalo to arbitration this summer and the list includes the core of the team, such as Daniel Briere, Ryan Miller, Maxim Afinogenov and J.P. Dumont.

Such is the price of success in the new NHL.

The fifth hot rumour is out of Dallas. The Stars are said to be shopping goalie Marty Turco and have already talked to Vancouver, Toronto and the Tampa Bay Lightning. Trouble is, Turco had another playoff meltdown this spring and has three years left at $3.16-million per.

Is it any wonder GM Doug Armstrong is not getting his calls returned?

The sixth hot rumour comes from New Jersey, where unrestricted free agent Patrik Elias wants a raise from $4.2 million per season. Word has it the Devils have said no, but the New York Rangers are saying yes.

The Rangers have five unrestricted free agents, all over the age of 30, who made a total of $13.7 million last season. To make room, somebody is going to have to sell his Manhattan condo.

Over the next few days, there are going to be dozens more of these hot, juicy NHL rumours, and who knows, some of them may even turn out to be true.

You got a problem with this? David Pratt can be heard Monday-Friday 3 p.m.-7 p.m. on TEAM 1040 AM
The Vancouver Province 2006
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#2 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,471 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:00 AM

So according to this article the Rangers have tampered with Elias? How silly.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#3 UnderDogX

UnderDogX

Graphics Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:37 AM

Is the article saying the Devils said he isn't getting a raise?? That's just...well...silly. I guess that's why it's called a rumor but there is NOOOOOOOOOO way Elias doesn't deserve some kind of raise and it would be stubborn, ignorant, and self-destructive for anyone in Devils management to think he shouldn't get one....That is definitely mind-boggling if they have in fact said no to some sort of raise....as I've said many times if Elias doesn't sign I don't think it will have anything to do with him rather the organization messing up....
'05-'06 Hobey Baker Award Winner (Best Rookie Poster)

*click click* *whistle whistle* "Its my thing, my trademark...its what I do."

#4 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,471 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:41 AM

The Devils opened the bank for Holik and Nieds, I would guess they will do the same for Elias if need be. That doesn't mean he stays a Devil but it won't be for lack of dollars from the Devils, IMO. I stick by saying this is silliness, but silliness is better to BS on then nothing.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#5 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:03 PM

Lou can be a stickler but hed certainly give a raise from 4.2.

What a stupid article.

The "raise" could be to 7 million, in which case, Id say hell no too.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#6 puckrock

puckrock

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:44 PM

If Elias goes to NY, i'm not watching hockey anymore.
This is my 2012 Playoff signature.

#7 Vinnie

Vinnie

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:28 PM

Dave Pratt is a goober.

#8 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:10 PM

i read on hfboards that elias has chosen an agent (or at least an agency) and it's octagon, the same agency that reps havlat (no surprise).

this was the same agency that sued gaborik after he fired them.

i'm hoping (probably against hope) that elias has told his agents that he wants to stay in NJ, but he needs them to squeeze the most money they can out of lou.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#9 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:38 PM

Elias and Havlat= Package deal???

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#10 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:15 PM

Elias is a goner - no big deal :noclue: what's to say, you know?

I'm here for the party

#11 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:29 PM

For the Senators, maybe. Doesn't Havlat have another year or two on his contract? I have a hard time believing the agent's going to be able to strong-arm Lou into trading for Havlat as a condition for signing Elias.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#12 threestars

threestars

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:35 PM

For the Senators, maybe. Doesn't Havlat have another year or two on his contract? I have a hard time believing the agent's going to be able to strong-arm Lou into trading for Havlat as a condition for signing Elias.

I doubt that is a workable deal, as I have mentioned here before. The Sens couldn't give Elias any more than the Devs could, unless it was a trade deal, but that would also mean parting with, most probably a good forward, since the Sens have their own issues with D (Redden Chara). Not exactly sure who that forward could be......would most likely have been Havlat! The Devs would also have to give up......a Gomez? to take on Havlat?

Posted Image

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Lowell Devils' Goalies: Frank Doyle and (co-keeper) Jordan Parise; Keeper of former Ottawa Senator Dean McAmmond; co-Keeper of David Clarkson; Keeper of the first goal at The Rock (thank you Meszaros/Neil) and the first EN goal at The Rock (thanks Alfie); and co-Keeper of NJDevs.com Keepers.

Proud recipient of the 2008 NJDevs.com Joe Nieuwendyk Award for Best Non-Devils Fan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

GO SENS GO!!!Posted ImageGO SENSGO!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I curse you Noah Webster for your defamation of the English language. I spit on you.

#13 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:43 PM

No chance. No team in the league has the money to afford both of these players, nor should they want both on their team. There's much better ways to spend $14 million a year.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#14 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:51 PM

Havlat is a Group II this summer. Ottawa only has eight guys under contract. Plus Chara and Redden are UFA's July 1. It's going to be an interesting offseason.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#15 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:08 PM

I know Patty loves NYC, but he has too have learned that your talents disappear once you put on Ranger blue. The Rangers will not be a playoff team next year either.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#16 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:10 PM

I know Patty loves NYC, but he has too have learned that your talents disappear once you put on Ranger blue. The Rangers will not be a playoff team next year either.

Would you like to wager on this? The Rangers have the best RW in the game and a top 5 goaltender. They do have a lot of free agents but some of them were garbage down the stretch - their young players, OTOH, should get better. They're not on the road to the Cup but to think they won't make the playoffs will take some serious backsliding.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#17 Devilsdude530

Devilsdude530

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:13 PM

This may be the single dumbest thread title ever.
Steve is now at Kukla's Korner, so check him out.

Keeper of Mr. Overtime, Patrick Elias.
Keeper of Johnny Oduya
Keeper of Kevin Weekes
Keeper of the NJ Rock 'n' Rollers
Keeper of The NHL On VERSUS and THE NHL On NBC

"Not every player is a Devil" - Lou Lamoriello

#18 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:16 PM

Would you like to wager on this? The Rangers have the best RW in the game and a top 5 goaltender. They do have a lot of free agents but some of them were garbage down the stretch - their young players, OTOH, should get better. They're not on the road to the Cup but to think they won't make the playoffs will take some serious backsliding.

Sometimes Tri, there's no sense explaining with Manta.

But in regards to them not making the playoffs, that depends on the Ranger brass. If they don't make the necessary changes to their blueline and add a 2nd line center, then I bet they take a step back next year. They can't sit pat. I would look to add two defensemen who won't cost a lot and a #2 pivot.

#19 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:18 AM

Right now, I would absolutely love to wager. Jagr was incredible last season, no doubt. But he provided 80% of the Ranger offense. He did great because there were no expectations and no pressure---everyone assumed based on the roster--- that they would finish last and were underestimated by everyone.

When the pressure is on Jagr disappears and is easily frustrated (see playoffs) and feigns injury. He does his best when he plays with Straka, whom I believe they maynot re-sign. Lunqvist is the goalie flavor of the year, but lets see how they respond early this season, when the refs don't make the early season calls they did like last year. I don't see alot of GREAT talent in their young players aside from Prucha and maybe Staal.

Pittsburgh, Florida and maybe Atlanta (if they have a goalie for the full season) will take the Rangers and Tampa spot for the final playoff spot.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#20 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 08:33 AM

Patriks' going to get a big raise. Wherever he goes, I expect him to have a mediocre season, as big raises always tend to produce. Maybe it's the stress of worrying about your Ferrari Modena parked outside the arena so near to Newark. ;)

Regardless, if Elias leaves, it won't be for money. Lou knows this guy is our next franchise player. Maybe he'll do something like sign him for 7-8 years for less money. I don't know.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users