14 replies to this topic

#1 jkrdevil

jkrdevil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:56 AM

Someone posted this at HF. In the BRIEFS section of an article on northjersey.com it mentions the Devils are close to purchasing the Trenton Titans of the ECHL.

http://www.northjers...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Maybe this is to clear a possible roadblock to movng the Lowell Devils to Trenton in a few years?

#2 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:58 PM

Someone posted this at HF. In the BRIEFS section of an article on northjersey.com it mentions the Devils are close to purchasing the Trenton Titans of the ECHL.

http://www.northjers...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Maybe this is to clear a possible roadblock to movng the Lowell Devils to Trenton in a few years?

That's what this is all about. Don't know why so many people said this wouldn't happen. Vanderbeek specifically said at the fan club meeting last April that he wanted the Devils minor league team to be within 60 miles of the Devils. Trenton is what, 60 miles from Newark? Toms River didn't go through, this was the next best thing. Now they don't have to build another new arena and you're spreading Devils hockey further south in Jersey. As it is now Titans games are about 55% Devils fans, 35% Flyers fans, and 10% Ranger fans. I always enjoyed going down there for games and will be there for their 8th home opener next month.
gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#3 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:42 PM

I'm not just someone. I'm a legend!

#4 UnderDogX

UnderDogX

Graphics Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:38 PM

What Toms River thing??? I don't keep up much from the minor league standpoint but I'm literally 5 minutes from Toms River...
'05-'06 Hobey Baker Award Winner (Best Rookie Poster)

*click click* *whistle whistle* "Its my thing, my trademark...its what I do."

#5 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:59 PM

This would be pretty cool. I wouldn't feel weird about being a Titans fan anymore if they were affiliated with the Devils. The only bummer would be that they'd have a new roster.

Would it be possible for Vanderbeek to make the Titans their AHL team and Lowell an ECHL team since he wants their AHL affiliate to be within 60 miles?
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#6 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 09:01 PM

I think it was Lakewood, NJ...not Toms River.

#7 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:08 AM

What Toms River thing??? I don't keep up much from the minor league standpoint but I'm literally 5 minutes from Toms River...

Not sure what they exactly had in mind for Toms River, but Vanderbeek mentioned Lakewood and Toms River when talking about having a minor league team in New Jersey. I know Lakewood fell through. He said he was sick of going to LBI and seeing Flyer hats walking all over the place. I'm pretty sure the Devils have a 2 year deal with Lowell which I think is a decent amount of time to buy the Titans, open the new arena in Newark, and then move Lowell down to Trenton. Let the Titans get 10 years under their belts in Trenton and ship them down to AC or somewhere else in the region to be our ECHL team, something we don't have now. I know AC failed in the past because it was just a horrendous place to go to if you were local...
gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#8 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:10 PM

When this happens I suppose the Isles and Flyers will have to find new affiliates eh :)
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#9 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,261 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:46 PM

This would be pretty cool. I wouldn't feel weird about being a Titans fan anymore if they were affiliated with the Devils. The only bummer would be that they'd have a new roster.

Would it be possible for Vanderbeek to make the Titans their AHL team and Lowell an ECHL team since he wants their AHL affiliate to be within 60 miles?

I agree. And that is a very interesting point about AHL/ECHL switch.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#10 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:04 PM

The Devils don't own the Lowell arena, just the team. I would imagine that the Devils will fold/sell the ECHL franchise. I guess it could be Lowell but I would imagine they would rather try to lure another AHL team.

Look at Worcester. After the Ice Cats (AHL) left they could have had an ECHL team but decided to continue to try to get an AHL team and they did.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#11 Arctic NRG

Arctic NRG

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:12 PM

Look at Worcester. After the Ice Cats (AHL) left they could have had an ECHL team but decided to continue to try to get an AHL team and they did.

There was a reason why that ECHL offer for Worcester was refused. There are already seven other AHL locations in New England. Worcester is in the center of it all. The closest ECHL location from Worcester was, IIRC, Atlantic City (before they moved to Cali). It would be bad business if the ECHL came to Worcester because of both travel costs, and how the "EC" is a lower level than the "A." That would be the same issue if the ECHL came to Lowell.

#12 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,593 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:22 PM

When this happens I suppose the Isles and Flyers will have to find new affiliates eh :)

The Isles already ended their affiliation either last year or the year before. It was only partial anyway as they sent only a handful of players there.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#13 njdevils2003champs

njdevils2003champs

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:26 AM

Well, this should give me a incentive to see a couple Titans games this year :boogie:
Its Game Time! Are You Ready? Devils Hockey...Next!

NJDevs Keeper of the original 1987-88 Patrick Divison Champions banner, the Ken Daneyko banner, Devils Dawg's cape, 25th anniversary basher board ad, the Utica Devils, the Lowell Devils franchise, the Devils first win at the Rock, Newark Arena's first car-jacking victim, Lowell's pre-"Devil Dawg" mascot's cape, Sections 128 and 129 at "The Rock", Pork Sandwich at The Rock, Jumbotron clapping Godzilla, Mucho Nacho, Grant Marshall first edition Lowell Devils jersey, The first "Rangers suck" chant at the Rock (25th Oct. '07 at Bon Jovi), Bob Gilderstein, the PA voice from 2005-2007, NJ Iromen soccer team, and the Postponed and Continued Lightning/Devils game 1/8/10 and 1/10/10

"Elias, is going to chase it down. Right in front to Arnott, HE SCORES!!!!! JASON ARNOTT HAS SCORED AND THE DEVILS HAVE WON THE CUP!!! JASON ARNOTT!!! JASON ARNOTT has score and the Devils win it 2-1!!!!"-Mike Miller

"The Championship to New Jersey. The Devils win the Stanley Cup"! -Mike Emrick- -June 24, 1995

R.I.P. Mom 2/22/09

#14 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:23 AM

It was Lakewood not TR

If they are successful at buying the Titans, is it possible that they would move Lowell to Tranton and they would share the arens w/ the Titans??
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#15 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:02 AM

I cannot imagine the Devils will want that kind of competition. Can't find a link yet but the deal was announced at a Press Conference this morning in Trenton. The Devils are comitted to keeping Trenton in the ECHL for the 06-07 season but nothing was guaranteed after that.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users