5 replies to this topic

#1 Gomer23

Gomer23

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:19 PM

The seats I got were awesome, so good that I didn't really mind that I wouldn't be able to see Elias, Gio, Martin, Madden, Bergfors, Corrente, or Jordan Parise. I literally was in the seat with my knees touching the glass to the box connecting the two benches. I actually was close enough to see every players stick and the stiching on the backs of their jerseys. I yelled, "nice haircut, Gomer, during the intermission," and he looked at me!

Anyway I saw a whole bunch of arseholes in person that should have no business wearing the Devs logo, but, hey, it's preseason. That being said, I tried to focus my attention on a handful of potential players to make my postgame report as good as possible, so here goes.

1. Oduya-I start with him because he is the current lovefest player going on here, and to my observation, with pretty good cause. He played on the second pairing for the most of the night with Andy Greene as his partner. PK #2 with Pando and Sarge up front, great skater, didn't really need to pass too much to move the puck based upon the talent level on the ice, (some obvious NHL talent, some obvious AHL/ECHL talent) but his skating and puckhandling were excellent. He was one of the few that looked like an NHLer and not a player fighting for a spot.

2. Greene-If he doesn't make the team, it's solely because his salary is 850k, because he skates strongly, which Lou loves, and was always in the correct position on defense. Can't say much about his passing, as mentioned above, but he can skate like a mofo and really handles the puck with good skill and sense. If I were to go out on a limb I would equate his game to one like Ohlund, great skater, great puckhandler, OK offensively.

3. Zajac-Makes the team as 2nd line center IMO. He played the entire game on the second line, extra foreward on the PP, and second PK team with Marsh/Parise. He needs some work, but, IMO, will be fine with some game experience with Jamie and Patty. Also, his recuperative ability on the PK is all that scouting reports said it was. The boy can skate, will be a terror on the backcheck.

I just mentioned the ones that I saw that were, IMO, NHL ready, any questions I'll answer if I can.

Minivari(sp.) is huge but looks like a Special Ed kid on the ice. :koolaid:

#2 njdevils2003champs

njdevils2003champs

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:23 PM

1. Oduya-I start with him because he is the current lovefest player going on here, and to my observation, with pretty good cause. He played on the second pairing for the most of the night with Andy Greene as his partner. PK #2 with Pando and Sarge up front, great skater, didn't really need to pass too much to move the puck based upon the talent level on the ice, (some obvious NHL talent, some obvious AHL/ECHL talent) but his skating and puckhandling were excellent. He was one of the few that looked like an NHLer and not a player fighting for a spot.

Could he be a diamond in the rough of our minor league system?
Its Game Time! Are You Ready? Devils Hockey...Next!

NJDevs Keeper of the original 1987-88 Patrick Divison Champions banner, the Ken Daneyko banner, Devils Dawg's cape, 25th anniversary basher board ad, the Utica Devils, the Lowell Devils franchise, the Devils first win at the Rock, Newark Arena's first car-jacking victim, Lowell's pre-"Devil Dawg" mascot's cape, Sections 128 and 129 at "The Rock", Pork Sandwich at The Rock, Jumbotron clapping Godzilla, Mucho Nacho, Grant Marshall first edition Lowell Devils jersey, The first "Rangers suck" chant at the Rock (25th Oct. '07 at Bon Jovi), Bob Gilderstein, the PA voice from 2005-2007, NJ Iromen soccer team, and the Postponed and Continued Lightning/Devils game 1/8/10 and 1/10/10

"Elias, is going to chase it down. Right in front to Arnott, HE SCORES!!!!! JASON ARNOTT HAS SCORED AND THE DEVILS HAVE WON THE CUP!!! JASON ARNOTT!!! JASON ARNOTT has score and the Devils win it 2-1!!!!"-Mike Miller

"The Championship to New Jersey. The Devils win the Stanley Cup"! -Mike Emrick- -June 24, 1995

R.I.P. Mom 2/22/09

#3 GOLDJR41

GOLDJR41

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:44 PM

Could he be a diamond in the rough of our minor league system?

Oduya has been playing in Sweden for the past couple of years; isn't actually a product of our minor league system.

That being said, I hope he is a free-agent diamond in the rough. :evil:
Langs is the captain, deal with it.

If Doc Emrick, who called yesterday's Bruins-Rangers on NBC, were a national network's lead baseball or football play-by-player, he would be widely known as among the finest in the history of television.

#4 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:21 AM

Minivari(sp.) is huge but looks like a Special Ed kid on the ice. :koolaid:

I was at the game, too, and yeah...you're dead-on with that one. I know he had a goal, but he looked horrible out there.

I concur about Zajac, though. I'd really like to see him make the team. Has size, moves well, knows both ends of the ice...he should get serious consideration.

Caps carried the play in the 2nd and 3rd. Devils goalies were the difference.

Good amount of Devils fans in attendance, I thought.
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#5 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,231 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:59 AM

I went to Hersheypark yesterday to go to the park (the Storm Runner coaster...all I have to say about that ride is DAMN! One of the best and scariest coasters I've ever been on.) I was going to go to the game (one of the main reasons I went to Hershey), but after having watched that painful 2-0 Ranger-Devil preseason disaster, knowing that a lot of our better players weren't going to get a lot of ice time and wanting to get home so I could watch my Patriots play at 8:15, the wife and I decided to skip the game. (Lots of rides and too much chocolate didn't help matters.)

We hit horrible traffic on I-78E (construction), so I not only missed the kickoff, but then got to see one of the worst games the Patriots have played during the Tom Brady era. And now I see that the Devils turned in a solid game and a victory to boot. Sheeeeeeeeeee-it!

Oh well...glad those of you who did go enjoyed it. How's the arena? It looks nice from the outside. Seating capacity?
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#6 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:58 AM

Oh well...glad those of you who did go enjoyed it. How's the arena? It looks nice from the outside. Seating capacity?

The arena is really nice. It's about three years old (?) at this point. Only seats about 10,500, at last check.

By the way - Storm Runner is pretty great. Doesn't touch Kingda Ka, though, if you ask me.

Edited by NJCroMag, 25 September 2006 - 08:58 AM.

"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users