44 replies to this topic

#21 Joe Mac

Joe Mac

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:09 PM

How do we, as fans, "be concerned about our own performance"? Even if the Devils were 0-8-0, I'd take delight in the Flyers misfortunes.

Rumours are floating around about Pat Quinn coming in, which would be great... we'd still have someone in management to focus our distaste at.

I heard the name Keenan bandied about.

#22 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:22 PM

I wonder if they'll look into Neil Smith as GM

Hitchock is worthless as coach now, his players barely tolerated him in the trapcrap era. Overrated from the very start.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,087 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:31 PM

I wonder if they'll look into Neil Smith as GM

Hitchock is worthless as coach now, his players barely tolerated him in the trapcrap era. Overrated from the very start.

Hitchcock will be re-hired by this time next season.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:40 PM

Hitchcock will be re-hired by this time next season.

well sure, there will be vacancies and he can ride the cup ring for a while. Doesn't mean he's any good, but he's probably better than somebody like Therrien, Gallant or Gretzky.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#25 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:57 PM

Imagine if Vanderbeek reacted like this after our start last season. I mean Lou has made some questionable moves. Definate panic move, but Philly hasn't done anything in over three decades and firing Clarke is about 10 years overdue. I really hope this somehow becomes the "Bobby Clarke Curse" and they go from not winning the cup to not making the playoffs for years to come. I hate that team, and it's fans, more than anything. They deserve all the failure they get.
gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#26 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 02:35 PM

This news takes the sting out of the 8-1 loss.
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#27 Vinnie

Vinnie

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:15 PM

This news takes the sting out of the 8-1 loss.

Not really, but at least it distracts the media from our pathetic performance.

#28 IceThief

IceThief

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:29 PM

So, when will they announce Esche as the new GM?

:rofl:
In honor of one of the greatest dmen to ever play the game, I remain to this day and forever after a lifetime member of the Scott Stevens Fan Club:

"If you ever had to describe what a Devil player would be," said Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello, "the name would be Scott Stevens."

"He was just huge," Devils left wing Patrik Elias said of walking into training camp the first time in 1995. "I was afraid of him. You had a 170-pound guy coming here and he was 220, 225 with these paws like a bear. I was pretty intimidated the first few years. I'm happy he was on my side the whole time."

#29 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,874 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:42 PM

Pretty predictable but I echo what Has said about Hitchcock. This wasn't his fault. He was given a bad team especially on D. He'll be back.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#30 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,903 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:48 PM

I saw some of the details of the press conference. Clarke spoke and did take some of the responsibility for the mess. Sort of. But here's the thing that just shows you he had to be told to resign. You know it wasn't voluntary. He said he was burned out and actually hadn't been making any of the decisions for a while now (he wasn't clear how long a while was) and that, in fact, he couldn't bring himself to make the decisions necessary to be a GM in the NHL anymore.

Basically, what he said was that Holmgren, who is taking over, had been calling the shots and he hadn't been doing anything but yes, it was his fault. HUH???? Anyone who really believes this, raise your hand. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller??? Bueller???

Snider said he had launched an 'investigation' after the 9-1 loss and that Hitch had lost the team and that's why he was fired.

Yeah sure, so I guess we can blame Holmgren for tossing the offer sheet to Kesler? :rofl:

Investigation? :blink: How exactly did he investigate, by asking the players' opinions on the coach and GM? :P

Edited by Hasan4978, 22 October 2006 - 03:51 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#31 Joe Mac

Joe Mac

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:08 PM

I think it's interesting they chose Stevens over Terry Murray. Steven was the Phantoms coach for the past few years and won the Calder Cup with Carter, Niittymaki, Umberger ect...

This tells me he is no interim coach and the Flyers are going to go young. So I expect all the major veterans over 30 traded or waived, including Forsberg, if he waves his no trade.

#32 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,087 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:35 PM

I think it's interesting they chose Stevens over Terry Murray. Steven was the Phantoms coach for the past few years and won the Calder Cup with Carter, Niittymaki, Umberger ect...

This tells me he is no interim coach and the Flyers are going to go young. So I expect all the major veterans over 30 traded or waived, including Forsberg, if he waves his no trade.

I sincerely doubt this. The Flyers have never been a team to do this and I don't expect them to do it now. There's really no reason to - the team is profitable as is, they still have a shot at the playoffs.

They won't be able to get rid of Derian Hatcher or Mike Rathje - they may choose to buy one out at the end of the season, but no one wants either of these players. A lot of the other vets will be UFA at the end of the season, Forsberg included. A guy like Sami Kapanen could be moved - but it's too early in the season to start waiving guys left and right.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#33 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,304 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:03 PM

Hitch should have never shaved the mustache, after he did that it all went downhill.

#34 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,874 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:09 PM

Well, Murray once coached the Flyers before during the Lindros era and made that regrettable quote during the '97 Cup Finals making reference to "a choking situation." He was promptly fired after this by Clarke.

Maybe it's better that the Flyer opted for a new voice. It might just work.

SC, Hitchcock without the mustache was just really weird.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#35 jkrdevil

jkrdevil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:03 PM

So, when will they announce Esche as the new GM?

Not quite the current backup goalie but it looks like they may go after Ron Hextall for the new GM position.

Already there are whispers suggesting that former Flyer Ron Hextall has been targeted, and time is required for him to consider the role and sift through the legal complications that would exist if Hextall tried to jump from the Los Angeles Kings back to Philadelphia.

http://tsn.ca/tsn_ta.../darren_dreger/

#36 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,601 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:08 PM

No surprise there seeing how Hextall = God in Philly.

When did he go to LA? I thought he was the Flyers top scout.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#37 FlyerCub

FlyerCub

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:21 PM

When Dean Lombardi left to take the GM job in LA before this season, Hextall went with him to be Assistant GM.
We may not share a favorite team, but we can agree on one - no, make that two - things: We hate the Rangers and Islanders!

#38 Devilish34

Devilish34

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,324 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:21 PM

He went in the summer I thought.

86 the Kool Ade -- we need some fvcking icewater for these pussies

Posted ImageRIP Bill 1931-2007
RIP Major/Dr. John Paul Pryor killed in Iraq on 12/25/08. You will be greatly missed and can never be replaced.
What Happened To Dr Pryor?

You might be a Redneck if you brag about running a 11.57@118.14Posted Image

#39 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,601 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:32 PM

Oh OK, so it was a recent move then.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#40 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:13 PM

Hitch should have never shaved the mustache, after he did that it all went downhill.

Yeah, no more Captain Kangaroo.
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users