Photo

So....how many Rangers Suck/Flyers Swallow chants tonight?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,004 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:00 PM

One of the drawbacks (if you want to even call it that) to having a good, young fan base is rowdy behavior. All those kids who became Devils fans in the '90s are becoming adults now, and more importantly, becoming paying fans.

It's a double-edged sword. People don't want it sound like a tomb, but they don't want naughty words. Whether you like it or not, it comes with the territory.

I'm not a huge fan of the 'swallows' thing in front of younger kids, but as for the 'what do the other teams fans think'... who cares? This is our arena, and our team.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#82 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:52 PM

Prudential Center Code of Conduct

What is your point? Every sports venue has rules like this. They are not followed anywhere. If you take your kids to a game expecting to not here anything bad, then you are kidding yourself. You might as well have them home-schooled too.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#83 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:16 PM

What is your point? Every sports venue has rules like this. They are not followed anywhere. If you take your kids to a game expecting to not here anything bad, then you are kidding yourself. You might as well have them home-schooled too.

Then what's the point of posting rules of conduct or rules in general for any venue then? Do you walk into a food store and start eating food? Do you walk into a store and shoplift? Hell, what's the point of having rules and laws in society for that matter if people just choose to ignore them or not follow them?

Do you think that any individual is above rules, laws and codes of conduct? If so, why?

Reporting someone for saying "sucks" or "blows" is excessive at best. Reporting someone where every third word or behavior is lewd and profane is perfectly acceptable. Why should someone spend $100's to go to a game and hear some classless idiot with beer behavior spew off? Some people choose to ignore it, some choose to not be around it. Either way, i don't care what someone does as I just laugh at them not with them.

Edited by SJP20, 02 March 2009 - 04:27 PM.

NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#84 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

Then what's the point of posting rules of conduct or rules in general for any venue then? Do you walk into a food store and start eating food? Do you walk into a store and shoplift? Hell, what's the point of having rules and laws in society for that matter if people just choose to ignore them or not follow them?

Do you think that any individual is above rules, laws and codes of conduct? If so, why?

Reporting someone for saying "sucks" or "blows" is excessive at best. Reporting someone where every third word or behavior is lewd and profane is perfectly acceptable. Why should someone spend $100's to go to a game and hear some classless idiot with beer behavior spew off? Some people choose to ignore it, some choose to not be around it. Either way, i don't care what someone does as I just laugh at them not with them.

I'm not saying anyone is above the rules and I agree with you, but I'm saying you can't expect to go to a sporting event and not expose your kids to words you don't want them to hear, and chances are they hear worse in their school cafeteria anyway. I remember I was in an elevator with my dad and some other people once when I was a kid, and the other people were cursing up a storm and my dad told them to stop. I didn't understand it because I heard worse at school on a daily basis anyway, but I knew not to say that stuff.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#85 SC Devs Fan

SC Devs Fan

The News Guy

• Members
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

If it bothers you that much, save yourself some money and take the kids when they get a little older.

Because the important thing is we cater to the guys who want to yell whatever they want because they paid for a ticket and feel it is their right
"There is money in the banana stand"

George Bluth

#86 metallidevils

metallidevils

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:52 PM

For me it was never about the use of the words 'suck' or 'swallow', but more about dwelling on the Rangers and Flyers when we're playing like, the Panthers.
"We had our chances. But Martin Brodeur is a hell of a player."
Posted Image
Posted Image of "It's a power play goal! F*** you Sam Rosen!"

#87 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:54 PM

Why should someone spend $100's to go to a game and hear some classless idiot with beer behavior spew off?

The funny thing is most of the behavior that's being described doesn't originate or even happen in the expensive seats, it's almost exclusive to the upper section. You can get discount seats for $30-35 most games in the mezzanine and it'll be nice and quiet there.

#88 mackchi

mackchi

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:01 PM

Watching the game from Saturday, after one of the goals (when they zoom in and show the fans) you could see about an eight year old yelling "HEY, YOU SUCK". I thought it was so funny.

Quite frankly it has gotten old and hackneyed....not very creative. Makes Devils fans seem like stupid oafs... :blahblah:
LET'S GO DEVILS!

#89 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:03 PM

You can get discount seats for $30-35 most games in the mezzanine and it'll be nice and quiet there.

I can attest to how difficult it can be to get a chant started in the discount seats. Unless it's one of those games where I bring a 10-person posse with me, it's an exercise in futility.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#90 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:13 PM

Quite frankly it has gotten old and hackneyed....not very creative. Makes Devils fans seem like stupid oafs... :blahblah:

Yeah that's the new thing the kids are doing now. ^_^ When did that start, and from who? As far back as like 2004, I don't seem to remember it. Was it the crazies that came up with that?

Edited by Beezer34, 02 March 2009 - 11:13 PM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#91 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,004 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:43 PM

Yeah that's the new thing the kids are doing now. ^_^ When did that start, and from who? As far back as like 2004, I don't seem to remember it. Was it the crazies that came up with that?

The 'Hey You Suck' chants during the Hey Song? Those were definitely not Devils-fan created. A few colleges have done that for years. I remember Nashville and the Isles fans doing it. During the lockout, that chant was done at the Danbury Trasher games (UHL). After the song was done, people chanted 'sieve sieve sieve' at the opposing goalie. Ha... how I miss those old Danbury games. I know it was childish, but we had a blast.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users