Photo

Verizon / Cablevision MSG HD FCC fight continues...

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#21 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:35 PM

Turning?

That's what I was thinking.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#22 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:08 AM

They have this in Dallas so I hope it makes it's way to Austin so I can see what it's all about.

Yeah, we just got the internet and phone service. So far, so good. We didn't get the TV because we have a contract for our DirecTV service that we didn't want to break. But the FIOS is soooooo much better than the old dial-up we had. :P I have nothing else to compare it to.
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#23 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:03 PM

Well today was the day. So far I am very happy with it. It takes a full day to install it (they got here around 10 and left around 5:30). The Internet is a whole lot faster. The remote they give you for the TV stinks and the differences in DVRs takes a lot to get used to not to mention the different channel numbers. Overall though it is more channels, faster Internet for less money than I was paying before.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#24 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:53 PM

I cannot get FIOS in my neck of the woods in SoCal... :(

DirectTV guy coming to the apartment though...cannot wait to get that hooked up! :clap:

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#25 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:52 PM

I just got a door hanger saying our neighborhood now has FIOS. I am incredibly tempted.

The money looks almost the same if not a little more expensive though.

#26 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:11 PM

I just got a door hanger saying our neighborhood now has FIOS. I am incredibly tempted.

The money looks almost the same if not a little more expensive though.

It is the sh!t! I highly recommend it. I save $40 a month over what I paid Comcast, but it depends on your current situation on whether it is worth it for you. Keep in mind that each TV needs a box or you just get local channels.

On the Internet side, the speed is consistent; it doesn't fluctuate like cable tends to.

The install is a pain and if you lose power you have a limited amount of time before you lose your phone too. There are trade offs like anything else.

Palin 2012

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

#27 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:21 PM

I already use VONAGE so I am used to internet phones. The box per TV bothers me though. I rarely watch TV but like Iggy says they are taking more of the low end TV away and I usually get just enough of the package to get FSNY.

Maybe I will look into it.

#28 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:33 PM

Yeah if you just have analog cable (no box) then it might be more expensive. I need HD stuff so I got a more expensive package from Comcast while the HD stuff is included in the base package with Verizon. No choice is right for everyone. Each provider has its own pros and cons. The stable Internet feed and the availability of future channels is what pushed me towards Verizon. Whenever people complained that Comcast did not add an HD channel they always claimed they did not have the bandwidth to add it. Verizon doesn't have that problem.

Did they include a channel list? I know you are in one of those tweener areas between NY and Philly how did they handle that?

Edited by PeteyNice, 02 February 2007 - 08:35 PM.

Palin 2012

#29 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:32 PM

OK this is a rant against Comcast and a warning for everyone. Comcast has basically sealed the deal that I will *never* go back to them. I don't care if the alternative is rabbit ears and dialup.

I got FiOS on Jan 28. On Feb 1, confident that FiOS was working, I canceled my Comcast service and returned their boxes. They gave me a receipt and said someone would be by soon to officially disconnect my service. They were having problems with their computer system at the time so they couldn't give me an exact date but promised it was just academic anyway since I would not be billed again.

I have been billed again! Twice!

Since I have not been officially disconnected (each time I call they give me a different day that they are going to come and they never come) they keep billing me. Even billing me for digital cable and DVR even though I returned their boxes so I cannot possibly get that service. I have been able to argue them off the bill both times but it is very annoying. They are now scheduled to come March 20., If they miss this time I am escalating, This has to be illegal.

Palin 2012

#30 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,596 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:48 PM

Oh yah, good luck with getting anything straightened out with Comcast.

It took me 6 months to get my $600+ back that they took because they thought I didn't return two digital boxes but I did and their computer system even acknowledged it. The jackasses auto-debited my account (that's how I had it setup when I had their service) and then had the nerve to report me to the collection agency for non-payment, uhh WTF over? At first I was told oh yah we messed up and we'll expedite it. Yah right. Toward the very end of the struggle they had the fvcking nerve to ask me to produce a canceled check. Hello!? Morons! I didn't send you a damn check because I didn't owe you anything! Then they said to show a bank statement of the withdrawl. Why didn't they ask me that six months prior when I could just print it from my computer? Oh no, now it was archived by my bank and I had to go in to a branch and have them print it. Then I had to go to the Comcast branch (luckily I was in NJ at the time since there is no Comcast or Sovereign Banks in Texas) and submit this info...but alas they had to FedEx the check a week later.

:doh1:

:rant:
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#31 mddevsfan

mddevsfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:09 PM

So, what happened with this?

Nothing, really. They're happy with the internet service, and I guess the noisy phone line hasn't pissed my dad off enough to bother calling Verizon about it.
"The Devils always find a way to win. That will continue." - Scott Stevens

#32 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:54 PM

Well I finally signed up with FIOS, they will be coming in two weeks. I couldn't take cablevision anymore, they cannot keep their billing straight two months in a row.

I dont have HD, so I don't care too much bout that.

#33 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:23 PM

Well My internet is now FIOS, they are hooking up the TVS still. I have to say this is a bit faster than cable so far, Youtube and the like snap up real quick.

#34 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:27 PM

I'm probably going to sign for the FioS TV now that we don't have DirecTV anymore. Right now, it's only about $30/month more to add it to their internet & phone service we already have.
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#35 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,610 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:39 PM

FIOS is being wired in Roselle Park NOW!!!! :clap:

I'm getting it the SECOND Center ice finishes up!!!
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#36 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:10 PM

Just to throw my two cents in, I love FIOS! When I was living in Little ferry I switched from stolen shared cable to FIOS and I had it for a solid month and change before moving to Weehawken. Both the HD and the SD looked much better on FIOS than it did on cable...truer colors, deeper blacks and a much better menu system.

Since FIOS has yet to come to Weehawken, and anything dish related is sketchy at best in my neck of the woods, I'm currently with Cablevision, which isn't terrible but is nowhere near FIOS.

Can't wait for it to come to Weehawken!

Edited by Bulletproof, 24 February 2009 - 01:11 PM.

Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#37 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:36 PM

Day two with FIOS and still love it. The picture quality is much better, even on my non HD tv's the colors appear more true and deeper. There is a lot less pixelation in the channel changes too.

#38 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,383 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

I told Cablevision I was switching and they told me to take $30 off my bill every month. No loss of service.

I will not go to FIOS until the Devs are available in HD
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#39 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:07 PM

Jimmy, I called today and told cablevision I had FIOS installed and want to end their service. Their rep got into a shouting match with me about the damn prices that FIOS charges. I couldn't believe it.

I don't have any HD Tvs so I could care less about HD. I am sure Dolan will relent eventually.

#40 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:25 PM

I got Fios in May I got the complete deal (TV internet phone)plus my family cell phones are Verizon. It's a little more when I had CableVision, but to me it's money well spent since Dolan doesn't get it anymore. I thought the same about HDTV since I didn't have any. I then got one, and still really didn't see many games until the free Center-Ice preview last week. They have at least one HD game a night. I had no problem seeing the puck in a black and white TV in the '70's so HDTV didn't make a difference to me for that. However, the clarity on the players and action actually makes a big difference!
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users