Photo

Verizon / Cablevision MSG HD FCC fight continues...

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#61 section 110

section 110

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:50 PM

Worth a shot..

So you guys would sacrifice much much better Internet and HDTV/SDTV with more channels for Devils games in better quality?

good point - as much as I want to see our games in HD, I'm using the internet and watching other TV year 'round and going to my fair share of games at the Rock. In addition, with the MSG+/2 crap, some of our games end up being on SD anyway.
Posted Image

Official NJDevs.com keeper of....CAA's Section 110 (for the first 25 years) and The Rock's Section 5 22 (for the next 25 years and beyond)

#62 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,078 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:03 PM

I just got a door hanger begging me to come back to Cablevision with all services for 79.99. Mmmm And they would pay for the Verizon cancel fees.

#63 section 110

section 110

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:46 AM

I just got a door hanger begging me to come back to Cablevision with all services for 79.99. Mmmm And they would pay for the Verizon cancel fees.

And you're happy with the Fios service, in SD for Devil games?
Posted Image

Official NJDevs.com keeper of....CAA's Section 110 (for the first 25 years) and The Rock's Section 5 22 (for the next 25 years and beyond)

#64 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,078 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:45 PM

Well, to be truthful I didn't get an HDTV until the last month of the season. Now after watching the playoffs in beautiful glorious HDTV... damn I want it for the Devils.

#65 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:57 PM

I got Fios without researching if MSG+ would be in HD. I assumed it would have it. I was pissed with Time Warners slow cable box, poor service, slow internet, limited on demand etc.

I've had FIOS for about a month...it is greatly superior to cable. much faster internet...speed tests i did have my download/upload speed about 6 times faster than cable....the set box fo fios is fast too.

I get more for the price in terms of channels, their SD quality is much better, as is HD. The text on the screen looks much more like a "vector" and is cleaner.
Posted Image

#66 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:35 PM

I get more for the price in terms of channels, their SD quality is much better, as is HD. The text on the screen looks much more like a "vector" and is cleaner.

Exactly.. I mean don't get me wrong i LOVE watching hockey in HD, but you are sacrificing hours of great TV entertainment with better SD/HD and more channels just to have the Devils games in HD.. Believe me, the SD is excellent anyway and it won't alter the outcome of the game if you watch it in SD.. Go FiOS

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#67 Mike441

Mike441

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:49 PM

the SD on Fios is excellent even on my crap Daewoo TV

#68 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:14 PM

the SD on Fios is excellent even on my crap Daewoo TV

Yeah I notice that the color is more vibrant with a sharper image

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#69 section227

section227

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:30 PM

good point - as much as I want to see our games in HD, I'm using the internet and watching other TV year 'round and going to my fair share of games at the Rock. In addition, with the MSG+/2 crap, some of our games end up being on SD anyway.

So the alternate MSG channels aren't in HD on Cablevision? That seems like a real negative. I'm willing to sacrifice some of the Fios quality for HD NJD, but not if half or a quarter of the games aren't available anyway.

I thought Cablevision broadcast all of the MSG slots in HD - am I wrong?

#70 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:07 PM

So the alternate MSG channels aren't in HD on Cablevision? That seems like a real negative. I'm willing to sacrifice some of the Fios quality for HD NJD, but not if half or a quarter of the games aren't available anyway.

I thought Cablevision broadcast all of the MSG slots in HD - am I wrong?

Yeah you're a tad bit confused.. Alternate HD MSG channels aren't available on FiOS, not Cablevision.. FiOS is higher quality in every way so by going with Cablevision you are sacrificing better quality year round for Devils games in HD even though FiOS's SD is freaking good.. Also, you can still catch a few Devils each month in HD anyway when they are on Versus, MSG, or other channels.. Price aside, you are crazy to go with Cablevision and not FiOS.. Now depending on your budget it and/or other factors might be worth it and in those cases I agree with getting Cablevision but I go to school near Trenton where Comcast didn't show the alternate MSG channels so my brothers and I (house of 7 guys) now spend $500 a month for TV and Internet from Verizon.. It's awesome

Edited by Colin226, 07 June 2009 - 11:08 PM.

#71 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:10 PM

Just to sum up what Colin wrote, here's what you get Devils wise from the two companies:

Cablevision :

MSG - HD - for free
MSG+ - HD - for free
MSG+2 (overflow) - Probably the worst SD feed in the history of TV. Looks like old hockey footage from the 80's
Versus - HD - for free

Basically, with Cablevision, they provide all the Devils games in HD, IF they don't have anything else more important going on. If there is a Rangers, Islanders and Devils game on, the Davils always gets the overflow (which stinks). Even basketball gets precedence over Devils hockey, but never Rangers or Islanders. That's Dolan for ya...

FIOS

MSG - HD (I believe with the Sports Package but Colin would know better)
MSG + - SD but a very good SD
MSG+2 - SD
Versus - HD, Standard.

So, if you go with Cablevision, you are able see every Devils game, 90% of which are in HD. not exactly the "every game of every local sports team in HD" nonsence they advertise, but close enough.

**Edited to reflect Colin's clarification**

Edited by Bulletproof, 08 June 2009 - 04:01 PM.

Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#72 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

Good work Bulletproof, but I have a correction.. FiOS does carry MSG+2

And yes Versus HD is standard

#73 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:34 PM

No. That is wrong.

No Cablevision owned sports channels are available in HD on FiOS. NONE.

MSG, MSG+ and the 2 overflow channels are available on FiOS in SD only.

You will only see the Devils in HD when they are on NBC or Versus.

I don't want to change the tenor in this thread but want to make this point too. If you live in a Cablevision area you will not get MSNBC on FiOS.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#74 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:37 PM

Isn't that pretty much what we were saying?

#75 section227

section227

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:47 PM

I now learn that Comcast isn't available in my area. So my choice is Optimum or Fios. Any thoughts or experience appreciated!

#76 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:39 PM

I now learn that Comcast isn't available in my area. So my choice is Optimum or Fios. Any thoughts or experience appreciated!

My girlfriend has Optimum.. Let's just say we spend a lot of time at my house :uni:

#77 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:54 PM

Isn't that pretty much what we were saying?

Bulletproof said FiOS offers MSG in HD (perhaps in a sports package).

PeteyNice said not true. He says FiOS only offers MSG in SD.

#78 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:42 AM

Bulletproof said FiOS offers MSG in HD (perhaps in a sports package).

PeteyNice said not true. He says FiOS only offers MSG in SD.

I'll go walk to my TV right now and settle this thing...

Ok so my results show that MSG is not available in HD from FiOS, but upon further testing I realized I didn't care because my Internet was lightning fast and my TV picture quality and HD channel selection kill the competition..

Edited by Colin226, 10 June 2009 - 08:47 AM.

#79 marty_is_better30

marty_is_better30

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:19 AM

yes i got all 3 i love fios tv and internet the internet is so good with my 360 no lag at all nd tv is amazing
Posted Image

Posted Image ZZ-POPS

#80 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:33 AM

yes i got all 3 i love fios tv and internet the internet is so good with my 360 no lag at all nd tv is amazing

Oh man XBL on FiOS is unreal.. You do better simply because you never lag and your opponents sometimes do.. I also stream Netflix movies to my 360 via my FiOS and it's flawless

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users