93 replies to this topic

#41 IceThief

IceThief

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:04 AM

haha im going to feel like an ass here but he's got one goal and no assists in 84 games he's played... try to remember he plays less than 4 min a game on a team that scores 2 goals per game... plus maybe hes not the best offensive player but that argument has no place in questioning this stupid play from tonight.

Hmmmmmm. ::he says with tongue in cheek::

Not pretty stats, even if the Diablos are a bit offensively challenged.

Whew!!!
In honor of one of the greatest dmen to ever play the game, I remain to this day and forever after a lifetime member of the Scott Stevens Fan Club:

"If you ever had to describe what a Devil player would be," said Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello, "the name would be Scott Stevens."

"He was just huge," Devils left wing Patrik Elias said of walking into training camp the first time in 1995. "I was afraid of him. You had a 170-pound guy coming here and he was 220, 225 with these paws like a bear. I was pretty intimidated the first few years. I'm happy he was on my side the whole time."

#42 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,443 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:05 AM

That "brilliant" play fired the Leafs up and they came back with a vengence. It cost the Devils the important extra point.

They certainly won one for the Gipper didn't they? :P Even Whitey I thought got away with a late hit at the end of the first but guess that means very little in the scheme of things compared to Cam's asinine mistake.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#43 CamFan

CamFan

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:08 AM

Watching the game here in Guelph on Rogers Sportsnet, Cam has been called "Cementhead" and "Goofball" by former Leafs' employees Bill Watters and Gord Stellick. Joe Bowen and Harry Neale, announcing the game, really need to find something else to talk about. Cam DID NOT leave his feet, Kaberle was so busy admiring his pass he did not see Cam coming. Cam Janssen has NEVER intentionally hurt an opponent and never will. When Darcy Tucker and Cam fought in Toronto in December 2005 and Tucker hit Cam on the head with his helmet, not a word was spoken by any Leafs' fans or announcers. To me that is worse than what happened tonight. I certainly hope Kaberle is okay, I'm sure he'll be fine but again, Cam did not intend to hurt him.

Before Leafs' fans freak out, I was a lifelong Leafs' fan but that all changed when Tucker used Cam's helmet in the fight. Having had the opportunity to watch Cam play junior for a few months in Guelph and knowing the type of person that he is off the ice converted me into a Devils' fan. Tucker can stand in the hallway and yell all he wants, Cam is not afraid of him or Belak or anyone else on that team and if Paul Maurice wants to make veiled threats about retribution, he can go right ahead too because the Devils will have the last laugh when they are playing hockey while the Leafs are out golfing. By the way, another channel here, The Score, timed the hit and it was 1.33 seconds after Kaberle passed the puck. And don't even bother mentioning Bertuzzi and Cam in the same breath because Cam does not and never will attack helpless opponents from behind, he has the balls to face them and follows the code of the NHL fighters.

#44 IceThief

IceThief

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:12 AM

Watching the game here in Guelph on Rogers Sportsnet, Cam has been called "Cementhead" and "Goofball" by former Leafs' employees Bill Watters and Gord Stellick. Joe Bowen and Harry Neale, announcing the game, really need to find something else to talk about. Cam DID NOT leave his feet, Kaberle was so busy admiring his pass he did not see Cam coming. Cam Janssen has NEVER intentionally hurt an opponent and never will. When Darcy Tucker and Cam fought in Toronto in December 2005 and Tucker hit Cam on the head with his helmet, not a word was spoken by any Leafs' fans or announcers. To me that is worse than what happened tonight. I certainly hope Kaberle is okay, I'm sure he'll be fine but again, Cam did not intend to hurt him.

Before Leafs' fans freak out, I was a lifelong Leafs' fan but that all changed when Tucker used Cam's helmet in the fight. Having had the opportunity to watch Cam play junior for a few months in Guelph and knowing the type of person that he is off the ice converted me into a Devils' fan. Tucker can stand in the hallway and yell all he wants, Cam is not afraid of him or Belak or anyone else on that team and if Paul Maurice wants to make veiled threats about retribution, he can go right ahead too because the Devils will have the last laugh when they are playing hockey while the Leafs are out golfing. By the way, another channel here, The Score, timed the hit and it was 1.33 seconds after Kaberle passed the puck. And don't even bother mentioning Bertuzzi and Cam in the same breath because Cam does not and never will attack helpless opponents from behind, he has the balls to face them and follows the code of the NHL fighters.

Oh my!!

Did Paul threaten payback?

That's interesting indeed.

Do tell? What did he say? My ears are pricked in anticipation. :uni:
In honor of one of the greatest dmen to ever play the game, I remain to this day and forever after a lifetime member of the Scott Stevens Fan Club:

"If you ever had to describe what a Devil player would be," said Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello, "the name would be Scott Stevens."

"He was just huge," Devils left wing Patrik Elias said of walking into training camp the first time in 1995. "I was afraid of him. You had a 170-pound guy coming here and he was 220, 225 with these paws like a bear. I was pretty intimidated the first few years. I'm happy he was on my side the whole time."

#45 IceThief

IceThief

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:16 AM

They certainly won one for the Gipper didn't they? :P Even Whitey I thought got away with a late hit at the end of the first but guess that means very little in the scheme of things compared to Cam's asinine mistake.

::Chuckle::

Has, I'd say after watching that that Cam can never be accused of being the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Stupid is as stupid does because you have to be aware of where you are and where the guy is that you're intending to take out.

That was like a sonic boom registering on the richter scale.

:whistling:

#46 CamFan

CamFan

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:16 AM

Sorry, I don't remember his exact words and wouldn't want to misquote him and upset any Leafs' fans! He did say something to the effect that there is a time and place for retribution and that he basically told the team they needed a win tonight to continue their attempt to gain a playoff spot, but that the time will come for payback.

#47 LOULAM1

LOULAM1

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:19 AM

Don't think I'm argueing. I'm discussing the topic and stating my opinion (the definition of a forum). I also joined before the game even started, I'm do that with every single forum, the leafs forum gets too crowded with spam come gametime.

It was a hockey game! I just saw the first hockey game in the NHL since the lock out! Do you agree 71? If so, stop the bitchin and pray your Laff's make the playoffs so the Devs can face them in the first round.

As far as the hit, he (Cam) did not leave his feet, shoulders were squared and he followed through on his check (hope Kaberle is ok).

Again, Cam followed through on his check and was maybe... just maybe a second off while Kaberle admired his own pass. I don't blame him (Kaberle) for admiring his own play, as it was a nice pass... but the guy is playing in the NHL! Get the point!

This is not Czechoslovakia were figure eights are allowed after you connect on a pass and then look up! You get hit on a smaller ice surface as it is a quicker game! The hit was not intentional or rather pre- meditated and it is part of the game! Get used to the fact that Tucker isn't the only bad ass in the NHL and legal hits occur to teams based in Toronto!

A tad late? Call it hockey!

#48 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:21 AM

hmmm I agree with LOULAM1. I may have to rethink my position, This will require serious thought.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#49 mddevsfan

mddevsfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:24 AM

Why is no one mentioning the fact that what hurt Kaberle was the way he went awkwardly into the boards? He was admiring the pass and didn't see Cam until the last second, at which point he tried to duck out of the way. As a result, the hit spun him around and sent him awkwardly into the boards.

At worst, the hit was borderline late - 1.3 seconds as someone posted earlier. Five years ago, that's called "finishing your checks".

This kind of hit happens a couple times every game, the only difference was that this time the recipient was a little off balance and had a bit of bad luck in the way he went down.
"The Devils always find a way to win. That will continue." - Scott Stevens

#50 IceThief

IceThief

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:28 AM

Sorry, I don't remember his exact words and wouldn't want to misquote him and upset any Leafs' fans! He did say something to the effect that there is a time and place for retribution and that he basically told the team they needed a win tonight to continue their attempt to gain a playoff spot, but that the time will come for payback.

Oh he did, eh?

I've never known Maurice promise to have payback issued to anyone. Will wonders never cease?

Someone needs to plant a bug in Soupie's ear about these, "Veiled threats" of his. :uni:

#51 Devils79

Devils79

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:29 AM

The Toronto media is out for blood. Apparently this is the worst hit since the Bertuzzi incident. Hilarious! This is no way even on the same scale as that in any way shape or form. Not for nothing but isn't this the same Toronto media that actually claimed Niedermayer was "faking" his injury after the Domi hit?

#52 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:32 AM

After careful consideration I have to confirm that I agree with LOULAM1 on this issue.

If Kaberle just braced for the hit instead of trying to duck out of the way he would have been fine. Mddevsfan has it right.

When Coburn threw Parise into the boards a few weeks ago noone complained. This was not any worse.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#53 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:32 AM

Why is no one mentioning the fact that what hurt Kaberle was the way he went awkwardly into the boards? He was admiring the pass and didn't see Cam until the last second, at which point he tried to duck out of the way. As a result, the hit spun him around and sent him awkwardly into the boards.

At worst, the hit was borderline late - 1.3 seconds as someone posted earlier. Five years ago, that's called "finishing your checks".

This kind of hit happens a couple times every game, the only difference was that this time the recipient was a little off balance and had a bit of bad luck in the way he went down.

it was mentioned a lot over at HF... but the common response was that cam shouldnt have hit him and it would have been avoided

#54 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,443 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:33 AM

Nobody mentions it because it was irrelevant. It was a late hit any way you slice it, no matter what caused the damage. And that was not 1.3 seconds after Kaberle let the puck go, if it was that was the longest 1.3 seconds in history.

But I don't wanna hear from Toronto either, they had absolute thugs on their team. Janssen's just a mullethead.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#55 IceThief

IceThief

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:35 AM

The Toronto media is out for blood. Apparently this is the worst hit since the Bertuzzi incident. Hilarious! This is no way even on the same scale as that in any way shape or form. Not for nothing but isn't this the same Toronto media that actually claimed Niedermayer was "faking" his injury after the Domi hit?

I have no respect for the media in TO at all.

Never have. Never will.

#56 CamFan

CamFan

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:37 AM

Nobody mentions it because it was irrelevant. It was a late hit any way you slice it, no matter what caused the damage. And that was not 1.3 seconds after Kaberle let the puck go, if it was that was the longest 1.3 seconds in history.

But I don't wanna hear from Toronto either, they had absolute thugs on their team. Janssen's just a mullethead.

Give Steve Ludzik at The Score a call then because he's the one that timed it and said it was exactly 1.33 seconds...

#57 officerfarva

officerfarva

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:37 AM

Don't know where you heard that. Every Toronto Fan/Annoucer knows that Domi's hit is one of the ugliest moments in NHL history.

That's funny because that's not how I remember it. Did the Leaf fans show up the following game with pro-Domi signs? Did they chant his name at that game? I have it all on tape if you want me to check. Niedermayer was called a faker up in Canada and they made Domi into a martyr because of his suspension. Don't rewrite history because the best dman in the league(must be a Leafs announcer that called Kaberle the best dman in the league) is on the receiving end of a tough hit.

The Leafs brought back "thug hockey" under Pat Quinn and now that it went against them they're crying like bitches. Kain, did you knock Tucker and Corson when they took out one Islander player after another? Or did you celebrate and not give 2 craps about the Islander fans and organization? Don't bother answering.

Personally I don't want to see anyone get hurt but the fact is I see that Leaf and I have NO sympathy for any player that wears it. You guys have had more "thug" moments than every team in the past 30 years. If Kaberle is out for the season, so be it because you guys probably only have 18 games left anyway.

Edited by officerfarva, 03 March 2007 - 12:40 AM.

#58 IceThief

IceThief

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:40 AM

True dat, Has.

Toronto has no business yelling about dirty play after all of the crap that they've pulled over the years.

That reeks of sheer hypocrasy after the Domi hit on Neids among other crap that they've pulled.

Toronto had neandrathals on that team.

Cam is.....well.....simply dumb.

I kinda think he's wishing that he hadn't done that, now.

Too late.

#59 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:41 AM

Hit was a little late, Cam should get at most 1 game and that's because the league is completely results-based on these issues and has been for years.

This hit did not 'inspire' the Leafs - they played garbage hockey for the rest of the second and luckboxed two goals in the third. BFD. Lucky game - just like when we played them in October.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#60 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,443 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:43 AM

If Kaberle is out for the season, so be it because you guys probably only have 18 games left anyway.

I just hope the Rangers aren't the beneficiaries of Kaberle's injury if that's the case :P

Though come to think of it I can't actively root for any of these damn teams to make the playoffs other than Montreal. I dislike Carolina after last year and would love to see them miss the playoffs to knock the Devils out of the record books as the last Cup winner to go splat. I have nothing against most of the current Leafs but would love to see the Toronto fans and media suffer again. The Isles are a joke of an organization. Ugh...I guess I just hold my nose and hope whoever makes the playoffs gets b-tch slapped by the Rochester Americans, er Buffalo Sabres anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users