#21 CADevilsFan

CADevilsFan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:03 AM

:blahblah:

Curses, I just bought my ticket yesterday. Had I known, I would have waited to see if I could get a deal . . .

:saddevil:

Could anyone recommend some places to eat around the arena/places to park. I am driving up from D.C. and am on a law students budget. On a plus, I am excited to see my first Devils home game!
Posted Image of MrTheMikes Curse and/or Magic & of the Chat Room Drinking Game

#22 Reverend_Hellh0und

Reverend_Hellh0und

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:08 AM

Curses, I just bought my ticket yesterday. Had I known, I would have waited to see if I could get a deal . . .

Could anyone recommend some places to eat around the arena/places to park. I am driving up from D.C. and am on a law students budget. On a plus, I am excited to see my first Devils home game!

Law studenbt budget, Reds? (some park right around the corner for the game too) :dance:

Or if you really wanna eat.... Bonefish if you like seafood. We went there on Sunday before the game and was shocked how good the seafood was..... Mignon if you want steaks..... but those are like more a lawyers budget. ;)

Edited by Hellhound, 11 April 2007 - 10:08 AM.

#23 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:09 AM

CAA is in the middle of NO WHERE. Your better off stopping the Turnpike to get food as a Hot Dog at CAA is $7.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#24 Reverend_Hellh0und

Reverend_Hellh0und

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:12 AM

CAA is in the middle of NO WHERE. Your better off stopping the Turnpike to get food as a Hot Dog at CAA is $7.

Bahhh... There is tons of stuff in the area.... Waterfront Cafe? :blink:

Or more seriously up and down harmon meadow bvld or whatever that is called in seacaucus,..... There are like 10 resturaunts there.

or up on 17?

I can think of plenty of places that are better than a turnpike hotdog.

#25 themiddle91489

themiddle91489

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:13 AM

A hot dog is $4...

Unless you're just being sarcastic :D

I'm goin with my friend, who CLAIMS he has coupons for 50% off tickets, if you go with 4 people, even for the playoffs. He better not be lying :rofl:

That being said, so far we only have three people, still looking for a fourth.
Attended Games: 2-1-1.
GDT's: 0-0.

#26 SC Devs Fan

SC Devs Fan

The News Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:15 AM

I'm sorry. If it is a hot dog you are hankering for then leave 30 minutes early and go to Rutts Hut.
"There is money in the banana stand"

George Bluth

#27 Reverend_Hellh0und

Reverend_Hellh0und

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:20 AM

Start here:

http://maps.google.c... ....04077&om=1

then hit "2" "3" "4" etc..... ;)

#28 emptynet

emptynet

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:21 AM

It's an easy cheap shot...that's all it is. A quick article for a hack who cant find anything else to write about.

Edited by emptynet, 11 April 2007 - 10:22 AM.

"He tried to run him into next week and only got a day and a half..." Doc Emeric

I think I need to go home and lie down... nothing makes sense any more. - MDDEVSFAN

Official Keeper of the Devils locker room

#29 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:34 AM

How come we never see these attendence hit pieces on the Islanders:

Average 2006-2007 12,520

I'm not sure if Newsday runs articles about the Islanders attendence issues, maybe they do who knows.

I think the Devils attendence issue is talked about more because of the tremedous success of the franchise, where as the Islanders have been decent, but nowhere near NJ.

Also, while Lou is a blessing for NJ Devils fans, when it comes to attendence, his style, as well as the strategies of the organization, might be a detriment to attendance.. The Devils emphasize winning, team concepts, and generally, at least IMO, are not as aggressive or creative with marketing their team as they should be. Why? Because Lou cares about winning above all else.

So in closing, it is a little give and take...take the winning, sacrifice marketing the team better.

Edited by LOTCB, 11 April 2007 - 10:43 AM.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#30 Reverend_Hellh0und

Reverend_Hellh0und

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:43 AM

I'm not sure if Newsday runs articles about the Islanders attendence issues, maybe they do who knows.

I think the Devils attendence issue is talked about more because of the tremedous success of the franchise, where as the Islanders have been decent, but nowhere near NJ

Possibly.... But do we need almost weekly articles on it? And wouldn't a respectable journalist look at the other teams in the area to make a comparison? I mean it took me all of 2 seconds to form the idea and google "nhl attendence". Or would a comparison to the Islanders worse attendence be counter productive to the agenda of the so called "journalist".

It has long ceased to be "news".

Also, while Lou is a blessing for NJ Devils fans, when it comes to attendence, his style, as well as the strategies of the organization, might be a detriment to attendance.. The Devils emphasize winning, team concepts, and generally, at least IMO, are not as aggressive or creative with marketing their team as they should be. Why? Because Lou cares about winning above all else.

Isn't there a whole new marketing group involved with the new arena?

You are correct about Lou.

Edited by Hellhound, 11 April 2007 - 10:46 AM.

#31 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:48 AM

On the flip side who are you to decide what is slight or not? Gulitti probably looked at the whole arena's price structure and not just the 1 ticket that increased the most percentage wise.

Edit: On a good note that means more space for me and less hassle due to poor roads, construction, and only 1 concourse.

You're proving my point essentially. Why does there have to be an adjective. Why couldn't he have just wrote:

"Tickets range from 45 to 95 dollars. This is an increase during the regular season where they ranged from 20-90."

Sounds a bit more objective if you ask me.

Let the people decide what is a "slight"

#32 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:52 AM

Possibly.... But do we need almost weekly articles on it? And wouldn't a respectable journalist look at the other teams in the area to make a comparison? I mean it took me all of 2 seconds to form the idea and google "nhl attendence". Or would a comparison to the Islanders worse attendence be counter productive to the agenda of the so called "journalist".

It has long ceased to be "news".

I understand your frustrations.

I see the same thing when it comes to Buffalo sports...its easy to pile in the Bills or the city of Buffalo for being 'losers' without really doing research on the issue. Like the Toronto newspapers, calling the Sabres a 'hapless' organization. Why, because we had one owner who was crooked and ran the team to the ground? The Sabres have made the playoffs 27 of 36 years, and their overall lifetime record is WELL over .500. But yet Toronto is not 'hapless?' Please! :lol:

I called it lazy journalism, hearing what topics is 'hot' and just running with it, without thoroughly researching the issue and then forumlating an opinion.

Some members of the media are sheep, they will read one story, and follow along blindly and just write an article to fill space, probably because their employer wants something and will take anything from the writer, as long as it fills the paper or the website.

The Devils attendance issue is an eye opener, and yes, it is a problem. THIS year however, from what I understand, the parking issue at the arena is a nightmare, at leat from what I heard. And I am sure that keeps some fans away.

Also, the tickets for Devils games are MUCH too high, I do agree with a thread that was started here on this subject. And maybe some Devils fans have just become numb to this team, much like the Atlanta Braves fans did with their team (Only the Devils win more titles) and Devils fans took the teams success for granted, and because of the high ticket prices, in turn just decide wait things out and then spend the $ when the fan deems it worthy to shelve out the $ for the tickets.

Edited by LOTCB, 11 April 2007 - 10:56 AM.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#33 Reverend_Hellh0und

Reverend_Hellh0und

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:01 AM

I hear ya LOTCB.

Trust me when I say the state of the current arena and the surrounding CONSTRUCTION site is atrocious. I don't blame the casual fan from avoiding it at this point.

I also think the new arenas pricing spread will help attract more fans.,

#34 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,735 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:06 AM

Apples and oranges. We have won 3 Cups in the last few years and again are one of the better teams in the NHL, we should have the fan base that should sell out a playoff game. The Isles, well, they've sucked so I excuse their fans for not showing up or being convinced they have turned any kind of corner.

it's the other way around. The Islanders haven't won a playoff series since Kurt Cobain died - they are going to pack the building because the playoffs are rare out on the Island.

New Jersey has missed the playoffs once in the last 15 years. The first round just doesn't mean what it used to - and our building is terrible.

I could go - I choose not to. It depresses me to hear a half-filled arena. I'll go if there's a Game 7 though.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#35 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:11 AM

it's the other way around. The Islanders haven't won a playoff series since Kurt Cobain died - they are going to pack the building because the playoffs are rare out on the Island.

New Jersey has missed the playoffs once in the last 15 years. The first round just doesn't mean what it used to - and our building is terrible.

I could go - I choose not to. It depresses me to hear a half-filled arena. I'll go if there's a Game 7 though.

Plus, Id be willing to bet there will be a Sabres fan invasion on Uniondale for Games 3 and 4. Bank on that.

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#36 ev0lemi

ev0lemi

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:37 AM

There's a discount for the first two games, $45s for the $60 seats that i just posted in the marketplace. It's still a markup but not as bad.
---
Keeper of the Red and Black, Parise's first NHL goal and the smoking section outside of gate D.
"If you are going to go the TMI route you may as well take every exit!" - sammyk!

#37 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:40 AM

^^
whs

I was just too lazy to type it all out.

#38 FriesenKris

FriesenKris

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:42 AM

We have a partial plan during the regular season but did not buy playoff tickets for rounds one and two. I got one email reminder when the pyament was due but I did not get anymore notification including the email mentioned in Gulitti's article. I guess he was referring to full season ticket holders.

Edited by FriesenKris, 11 April 2007 - 11:44 AM.

#39 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:52 AM

Bahhh... There is tons of stuff in the area.... Waterfront Cafe? :blink:
Or more seriously up and down harmon meadow bvld or whatever that is called in seacaucus,..... There are like 10 resturaunts there.

or up on 17?
I can think of plenty of places that are better than a turnpike hotdog.

I meant in regards to a real city, where you sit down have a few pints and have some good food within walking distance to the arena. The CAA is in the middle of NOWHERE.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#40 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:56 AM

I meant in regards to a real city, where you sit down have a few pints and have some good food within walking distance to the arena. The CAA is in the middle of NOWHERE.

In the middle of nowhere?!?!?!?!

:-)

Edited by HellOnICE, 11 April 2007 - 11:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users