Photo

Why do NHL fans think the Devils are boring?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 officerfarva

officerfarva

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:44 PM

I was reading about the upcoming series on TSN.ca and Hfboards and something is really bothering me. Why are the Devils considered boring because, although I'm a fan, I think the Devils are pretty talented up front and they played an exciting series against TB. Every stupid comment from "hockey fans" talk about how bad the Devils-Sens series will be because the Devils "trap" and how the Canucks are the Devils of the West(I guess that means they are boring). Brett Hull has been on NBC calling the Devils unwatchable. I just want to read one Devils-Sens series preview without hearing the words "boring" and "trap" in them.

Am I missing something? Is it jealousy because of the Devils success? While I find certain games boring, as a whole I've never felt any one team is boring.

Are the Pistons, Spurs, Ravens, and Bears boring because of their defensive style or is it an NHL thing? I really hope people like Derek and Sensfan and LOTCB respond to this so I can get a non-Devils fan opinion.

How many times did I type the word "boring" in this post?

#2 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:11 AM

The people who say the Devils are boring are one of three things:

(1) Frustrated because the Devils had just beaten them (yes, this means you Ted Nolan) or beat them on a consistent basis.

(2) People who do not even watch Devils games and just pick on them because they are jealous.

(3) Bandwagon jumpers who see everyone else calling the Devils boring and then instantly agree because they are too stupid to formulate opinions for themselves.

fvck those people.

Edited by devilsfan26, 25 April 2007 - 12:15 AM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#3 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:40 AM

What I love more than calling us boring is when their team plays the same defensive style *cough* (Rangers), it's just "good solid defense" and something to be proud of. As lamebrained as Chico can be, I absolutely loved it when he pointed out whenever the Rangers were trapping over the last season or so when they played us. The best was last season when he pointed it out and a few seconds later Gomez blew through it and scored a goal that basically destroyed their whole season.

Compare our series to the Rangers series and you tell me who the boring team is.

Oh, and I hope Brett Hull loses his voice box.
gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#4 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:00 AM

agree with *choke* all three posts above mine. :o

And I would put forward that the same idiots who do not "like" Defense would probably say that all the 5-1 and 4-1 wins in the first round weer "better hockey" than the 1 goal wins in 4 of the 6 Devils games. Add a shutout which in itself has GOT to be exciting for any fan to watch happen in front of you (even the Rag 7-0 thumping) and a goalfest 5-3 game! c'mon!! :doh1: :argh:

I think most people are just lambs following the herd, but people will not see the Devils as an offensive powerhouse, regardless of the stats. :koolaid:

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#5 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:42 AM

Envy.

#6 Devilish34

Devilish34

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,324 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:28 AM

Lack of understand on the game as a whole and they think it should be more like Basketball on ice.

And all of the above that were all ready stated.
Biggest is probably envy (mostly Phailure fans)

Edited by Devilish34, 25 April 2007 - 06:59 AM.

86 the Kool Ade -- we need some fvcking icewater for these pussies

Posted ImageRIP Bill 1931-2007
RIP Major/Dr. John Paul Pryor killed in Iraq on 12/25/08. You will be greatly missed and can never be replaced.
What Happened To Dr Pryor?

You might be a Redneck if you brag about running a 11.57@118.14Posted Image

#7 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,261 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:02 AM

Lack of understanding about hockey, bitterness that we have probably just beat their team, and I think most of the critics probably prefer Arena Football to NFL football.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#8 brodeurgirl30

brodeurgirl30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:11 AM

Lack of understand on the game as a whole and they think it's more like Baskeball on ice.

DING! DING! DING!

Someone (who are these people?) decided that the only interesting part of hockey is scoring. I personally love goalies and good D. One of my favorite non-Devil's game was the SCF Game 6 between Florida and Colorado. 0-0 until 2nd overtime. Roy and Beezer were amazing. I also love when the other team is on a breakaway and the D does a diving sling of his stick to bat the puck away at the last minute w/o drawing a penalty, or the D man is in front of the guy on the rush and just stands him up, pushing him off the puck. Now that is entertaining hockey to me. What I hear from people all the time amounts to them wanting hockey to be like the All-Star game was. If hockey was like that, I wouldn't watch it anymore. Give me the Devils anyday.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Brodeur's 2002 Olympic Gold Medal
The kisses on the back of Marty's mask
Travis Zajac

After Marty got so mad at his sons for throwing thunderstick packages onto the ice during a
Devils / Rangers game~
"I explained to them that by doing what they had done, they were basically acting like Rangers fans." ~Marty Brodeur - Beyond the Crease

#9 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:04 AM

Are the Pistons, Spurs, Ravens, and Bears

Actually, yes, those teams do have a rep as being boring. Moreso the basketball teams moreso than football. There were more than a few people that were annoyed that Trent Dilfer could win a Superbowl.

I read this somewhere and it seemed like something you would see here about the Devils:

It seems every night I turn on the Pistons game and then flip it to ESPN or some other cable station and what do I see? Other NBA games are on nation cable TV but it seems we never are. Tonight is a perfect example. The Pistons are at Boston - it seems like a perfect NBA national game. Instead, I see San Antonio is at Orlando and playing on ESPN. Puzzling to say the least... I know it has something to do with our defensive-mindedness. In general people don't enjoy 82-74 games, but we are one of the best teams in the NBA. That should be worth some publicity there alone.

For me, for Lou, and should be for you... we should be happy that we're winning games. That we are pissing off fans of other teams is only an added bonus.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#10 TravisZajac

TravisZajac

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:13 AM

Well..I live near Montreal, and each time i go on Website where the Canadiens fans goes like:Rds or Hf...

I read their Talbacks or Posts and..It annoys me.They absolutly wanted Tampa to win because we fired Julien.Julien was coaching in Montreal before 2003-2006.They loved him, they fell in love.But apprently, we are too boring or Lou only wants the trophies and he actually didnt wanted Julien to win the cup As a coach.Thats just stupid.

Anyway...Montreal is the city of the criers.They always cry about their team, but well i actually replied to the Comments about Julien and Lou:

Hey Guys, at least our Organization tries to win the Cup each year.In Montreal they don't give the fvck if there's a Briere or Elias in their team, or they finish 10th, The building is always Fulled up.

..I hope its not the same thing all around the teams.
Posted Image

#11 emptynet

emptynet

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:40 AM

I think alot of it has to do with bandwagon people who have no understanding of hockey what so ever and are fans of another team.
Most people are too clueless to realize #1 what the "trap" really is, #2 the trap was around long before the Devils.
I find it funny when people say, "the Devils are boring, all they do is trap", and then I ask that person, really...do you know what the trap is? Can you explain it to me...I've yet to get the right answer, or anything close to the right answer. Any hockey fans who really enjoy not only the game of today, but also hockey's deep history will know that in the time of the great Montreal dynasty the trap was prevalent in there play, and lets see Lemaire and Big Bird Larry Robinson were a part of that dynasty...what a coincidence....

But I liken the Devils to the New England Patriots, a very disciplined goal oriented organization where everyone either gets "it" or they get the boot.

People also claim they want more scoring...these are not the true hockey fans, scoring is nice, but it's scoring opportunities that get butt's out of the seats. What would you rather see, a 1-0 game that had a combined 75 shots on goal and 15 scoring chances, or an 8-3 game that has a total of 40 shots on goal and 11 scoring chances?

Edited by emptynet, 25 April 2007 - 08:47 AM.

"He tried to run him into next week and only got a day and a half..." Doc Emeric

I think I need to go home and lie down... nothing makes sense any more. - MDDEVSFAN

Official Keeper of the Devils locker room

#12 Devilish34

Devilish34

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,324 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:56 AM

I think alot of it has to do with bandwagon people who have no understanding of hockey what so ever and are fans of another team.
Most people are too clueless to realize #1 what the "trap" really is, #2 the trap was around long before the Devils.
I find it funny when people say, "the Devils are boring, all they do is trap", and then I ask that person, really...do you know what the trap is? Can you explain it to me...I've yet to get the right answer, or anything close to the right answer. Any hockey fans who really enjoy not only the game of today, but also hockey's deep history will know that in the time of the great Montreal dynasty the trap was prevalent in there play, and lets see Lemaire and Big Bird Larry Robinson were a part of that dynasty...what a coincidence....

But I liken the Devils to the New England Patriots, a very disciplined goal oriented organization where everyone either gets "it" or they get the boot.

People also claim they want more scoring...these are not the true hockey fans, scoring is nice, but it's scoring opportunities that get butt's out of the seats. What would you rather see, a 1-0 game that had a combined 75 shots on goal and 15 scoring chances, or an 8-3 game that has a total of 40 shots on goal and 11 scoring chances?

I forget what game but team A dropped back to take a defensive 1-2-2
And it was said with excitement but if it's the Devs it's :rant: TRAP!! :rant:

Last season it was the Press for the Oilers and not the TRAP :blink:

86 the Kool Ade -- we need some fvcking icewater for these pussies

Posted ImageRIP Bill 1931-2007
RIP Major/Dr. John Paul Pryor killed in Iraq on 12/25/08. You will be greatly missed and can never be replaced.
What Happened To Dr Pryor?

You might be a Redneck if you brag about running a 11.57@118.14Posted Image

#13 njdevsfn95

njdevsfn95

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:57 AM

hockey is exciting when a: there are scoring chances (not necessarily shots - people mix those up constantly) b: spectacular goaltending and c: physical play

as posted above 1-0 with 30 scoring chances is more exciting than 7-6 with 20 scoring chances (is BAD goaltending good hockey?).

not every 1-0 game is exciting and not every 7-6 game is exciting.

Devils v Tampa >> Rangers v Thrashers NOT because it was a 6game vs 4game...NOT because the biggest margin of victory was 3 compared to 7 but it was COMPETITIVE.

scoring chances, goals, timley goaltending (last 3 games esp.), hits, and 2 fights.

Being up by 1 goal with under 5min to go is just nervewracking...i cant sit still and sometimes i start shaking (yup, Devils hockey affects me THAT much) but what is so exciting about winning 7-0? as a fan of the winning team its exciting, but as for the other 99% of hockey fans..."meh"

#14 Reverend_Hellh0und

Reverend_Hellh0und

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:57 AM

:argh:
Dumb question.

Simple answer:

BECAUSE THE MEDIA TELLS THEM WE ARE

The sheep believe anything the moving picture box tells them.

#15 Dagwood

Dagwood

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:04 AM

I agree with those that said it's the low scoring that generates the comments about the game being boring.

Those fans don't

A. Appreciate stellar goaltending duals...
B. Don't understand that when two teams are evenly matched, it comes down to few opportunities and scoring chances which are sometimes rare in a good game.
C. Think Hockey is exciting when 14 goals are scored...9 for thier home team :blink:

I on the otherhand...can still yawn and appreciate the battle unfolding in a tight game ;)

#16 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:07 AM

:argh:
Dumb question.
Simple answer:

It's not a dumb question, but your simple answer is the correct one, IMO.

Even when the Devils were among the leading goal-scorers in the league, they were "boring." Ain't that "interesting?" LOL!

#17 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,435 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:16 AM

i defy any of you to claim that there weren't boring devils games this year.

that said, it's mostly unfair because there's a lot of exciting players up front - not just a bunch of plodders. it's just kind of a mantra at this point.

still, that vancouver-dallas series was more low scoring and 'boring' than any i can recall the devils being involved in.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#18 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:19 AM

Every team has boring games, saying the Devils have some doesn't make the term boring stick to any team. The Devils may have actually had some of the most exciting games this season. How many last second come backs did we get to watch this season?
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#19 drummerpuck

drummerpuck

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:22 AM

This is very true. I like in one of the areas where the Devils are never shown on TV. I went a two year strech and only saw a couple of playoff games in Texas (college student with no budget for CenterIce). They aren't shown on the media there and when they do talk about them it's negative - why should anyone in those areas even care about the Devils.

True story of how I became a Devils Fan - don't hate me. In 2001, I was watching my Avalanche play for the Stanley Cup and of course in the finals they were playing the Devils. I had never seen the Devils play (I missed the 2000 Cup Finals because I was in a coma). I grew to love the Devils. I loved the way they worked, played, spoke, everything. By game seven I did not care which team won, because I had truly become a Devils fan during the series. When it was all over, I still root for the Avalanche, but my heart belongs to the Devils. Every year I know that they are going to give me a great team to make a run for it - I like the way they played - I feel in love with Devils hockey. So now I am a passionate, die-hard Devils fan and root for the Avalanche occaissionally. I try to spread the word whenever I can. Most people in Tulsa see my liscense plate frame and ask me if the Devils are a Lacrosse team......

All I Really Need to Know Ė I Learned from Hockey

*Respect your opponent*Show up every night*Play for more than your paycheck*Be loyal to your team*Practice*Be willing to make mistakes*Hate losing*Instigate, donít retaliate*Itís good to be the underdog*Wrestle when you have to: find openings where you can*Nothing is worth ending someoneís career or their life*It matters where youíre from, but it matters a lot more how you play*Never give up, never surrender*You canít win without the grinders*If you only get to play 20 games, be the best 20 game player you can be*Love something frivolous, love it beyond all reason*Be willing to get hurt*Speed is more important than size. Heart is more important than either*The rules can always be changed*The rules are often changed, apparently at random*Rules? What Rules?*Look for the play*You have to spend money to win* Spending money will never guarantee a win*Donít expect other Americans to understand. When you find some who do, treat them like long lost friends*Two minutes in the box, you feel shame. Then you get free*Appreciate genius*Fly*

#20 jkrdevil

jkrdevil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:24 AM

i defy any of you to claim that there weren't boring devils games this year.

They had their share but not anymore than any other team. The games that typically are boring are the game where there is barely any hitting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users