54 replies to this topic

#21 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:28 AM

Where's the definitive proof that they're not getting a team?

You can't prove a negative. I have no definitive proof that Sydney Australia isn't getting a team.

The economy of Winnipeg has been stagnant for years. They don't have the population base to generate enough revenues to cover the costs of an NHL team. Using all reason, there is no way that any businessman would put a team there. There was an independent study to check the feasibility of generating a profit in Winnipeg and the conclusion was that if they sold out every single game and they operated at the NHL floor, then they could get a slim profit. But what is the likelihood of selling out every game if you are always operating at the floor?
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#22 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:09 AM

Where's the definitive proof that they're not getting a team?

Where's the definitive proof that they ARE getting a team? It goes both ways, Derek.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#23 annabelle

annabelle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:20 PM

Again. Where's the definitive proof that they're not getting a team? I'll never understand why you wouldn't want one. It would be a chance to see your Canucks.

It's not that I don't want a franchise here..I guess I am just sick of hearing people get all fired up about "the jets coming back" every time someone even mentions anything about possible relocation of a franchise. I don't really care if this city gets one or not..I'm outta here by this time next year..Who wants to play in Winnipeg anyway?
This post was brought to you by the letters, D, P & H

"I wasn't trying to be funny. If I was you would have noticed because you'd be laughing.."-C.G 04/14/07

"The winters of my childhood were long, long seasons. we lived in three places, the school, the church, and the skating rink. But our real life was on the skating rink" (from the back of the 5 Dollar bill, proof that Canada IS hockey country..)

Loyalty above all, Save honour

15 seconds left, your team is down a goal...Are YOU in the parking lot or still in the stands?

OFFICIAL MEMBER OF Team Awesome.ca...KEEPING MANITOBA AWESOME!!!!

"FLAMES FANS- the new generation of the 90's Leaf fans, naive and stupid with no actual hockey intelligence..(which is expected when 80% of your fanbase are bandwagoners who started watching April 2004)"- PureTalent#19

Keeper of the Sprite in Marty's water bottle
Posted Image

#24 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:00 PM

Who wants to play in Winnipeg anyway?

That's what a lot of people say about Edmonton. :P
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#25 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:42 PM

what I don't get is why people yearn for the days where there was a team in Winnipeg. Big deal - so there was a Winnipeg franchise in NHL94, I like Evgeny Davydov too - but the team was there 15 years and won squat. They will be operating under much more rigorous financial constraints now - why do we want this? Because 'the people of Winnipeg deserve it'? Look, it sucks that their team moved - but the real mistake was giving them an NHL franchise to begin with.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#26 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,777 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:17 PM

what I don't get is why people yearn for the days where there was a team in Winnipeg. Big deal - so there was a Winnipeg franchise in NHL94, I like Evgeny Davydov too - but the team was there 15 years and won squat. They will be operating under much more rigorous financial constraints now - why do we want this? Because 'the people of Winnipeg deserve it'? Look, it sucks that their team moved - but the real mistake was giving them an NHL franchise to begin with.

Because they were a charming team. small, loud arena, whiteouts. They always played a wide open, entertaining brand of hockey. The NHL would feel more complete with a franchise back in Winnipeg. It'll feel more like the real NHL everybody knew and loved. Franchises in Florida, Carolina, Nashville etc. they still seem like outsiders who don't belong. Winnipeg belongs. They may not be a large market, but at least they like hockey.

Edited by '7', 30 May 2007 - 07:18 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#27 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,837 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:52 PM

Where's the definitive proof that they ARE getting a team? It goes both ways, Derek.

No where Rowdy. But it wouldn't even be a topic if the commish didn't talk about it.

That's why it's being discussed.

I'm in agreement with 7'. Florida and Phoenix should be relocated.

Some areas are just better for hockey. Edmonton is in the middle of nowhere. Yet we never hear anyone putting them down about how they shouldn't have a team.

It would be nice to see Canada get another team again.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#28 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:04 PM

No where Rowdy. But it wouldn't even be a topic if the commish didn't talk about it.

That's why it's being discussed.
I'm in agreement with 7'. Florida and Phoenix should be relocated.

Some areas are just better for hockey. Edmonton is in the middle of nowhere. Yet we never hear anyone putting them down about how they shouldn't have a team.

It would be nice to see Canada get another team again.

we did before the lockout which you guys think was a waste of time

and star players still don't want to play there (chris pronger?), so who knows how viable edmonton is

#29 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,837 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:21 PM

and star players still don't want to play there (chris pronger?), so who knows how viable edmonton is

Your words. Not mine. The only good thing to come out of the lockout was the new system. A system which hasn't prevented the same fiscal irresponsibilities from taking place. They lost a lot in the process and there's been no proof that it will stablize. Hence the whole Pens fiasco and now the Preds in limbo. I read a quote from Bettman the other day that was just mindboggling about the Nashville situation. If I could find it, I'd post.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#30 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:58 PM

I think you mean star players aren't married to people who want to live there.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#31 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:28 PM

If Canada was going to get another team would Winnipeg really be the first choice? Quebec would probably be more viable from what little I know, I remember them having a pretty good fanbase despite having to compete with the Habs.

Don and annabelle could probably answer the question better than me though, as to what city in Canada should be first in the pecking order. Sounds like Hamilton would be the first choice except for the whole Toronto territorial rights thing.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#32 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,466 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:37 PM

What city would go with the best goal song? That would be my choice because that will show the ultimate viability of the franchise right away.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#33 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:44 PM

I think you mean star players aren't married to people who want to live there.

yeah and that's kind of a big deal when these guys are married to models - i'm sure the nightlife in edmonton is thrilling

the financial irresponsibility is without a doubt kept in check by the salary cap - it's hard to claim otherwise. teams pay out these big deals because they can afford them.

#34 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:44 PM

It would be nice for Nashville, Florida, and Phoenix to be moved. Winnipeg, Houston and Portland would be my choices.

#35 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:16 PM

It would be nice for Nashville, Florida, and Phoenix to be moved. Winnipeg, Houston and Portland would be my choices.

wish we could bet on this somehow -

portland's economy's in the toilet and they have a basketball team, houston's a bad sports city, and winnipeg lacks the means to support an NHL franchise.

i would move any one of these teams to kansas city, or even hamilton, before i considered the cities you've picked. I'm not sure why you picked them, honestly. Yeah, Florida, Phoenix, and Nashville aren't the greatest hockey markets, but are these any better?

Edited by Triumph, 30 May 2007 - 10:16 PM.

#36 Devilsdude530

Devilsdude530

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:22 PM

Why not Kansas City? Does anyone not hear rent-free arena...high TV ratings...immediate rivalries...strong youth and local interest? Blue collar town?
Steve is now at Kukla's Korner, so check him out.

Keeper of Mr. Overtime, Patrick Elias.
Keeper of Johnny Oduya
Keeper of Kevin Weekes
Keeper of the NJ Rock 'n' Rollers
Keeper of The NHL On VERSUS and THE NHL On NBC

"Not every player is a Devil" - Lou Lamoriello

#37 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,777 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:27 PM

Moving any southern fried team to KC would be rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic. The object is to get away from the south.

Hartford would be a better choice than Houston or Portland. Seattle too perhaps.

Edited by '7', 30 May 2007 - 10:29 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#38 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,593 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:36 PM

Moving any southern fried team to KC would be rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic. The object is to get away from the south.

Hartford would be a better choice than Houston or Portland. Seattle too perhaps.

KC is in the midwest. Check your maps.

Portland and Seattle are too south for you too?
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#39 Devilsdude530

Devilsdude530

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:37 PM

If you were moving into a hockey market, would you rather do this:

-Go to a place where there already are hockey fans, already are good local TV numbers, where once football is over, the only competition is baseball's answer to the Chicago Blackhawks, it's a blue collar town that would embrace these guys...and oh yeah, you're paying NO RENT WHATSOEVER.

Or...

-Go to a market like Hartford, that failed before, deal with competition from 4 other teams (BOS, NYI, NYR, NJ) in the area, plus minor league hockey in an already crowded sports area.

Or...

-Go to Houston or Portland and build from no or little (okay, the WHL and the old-school Aeros count) hockey tradition, somewhat of a rivalry to develop (HOU-DAL or POR-VAN) but really still, an uphill climb with the basketball team getting the better of the dates in the arena and media attention.

Kansas City is such a no brainer, there are easily the least obstacles for launching a team.
Steve is now at Kukla's Korner, so check him out.

Keeper of Mr. Overtime, Patrick Elias.
Keeper of Johnny Oduya
Keeper of Kevin Weekes
Keeper of the NJ Rock 'n' Rollers
Keeper of The NHL On VERSUS and THE NHL On NBC

"Not every player is a Devil" - Lou Lamoriello

#40 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:47 PM

seattle's arena was built specifically so that NHL hockey cannot be played there.

kansas city is a slam dunk for the next NHL city.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users