54 replies to this topic

#41 annabelle

annabelle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:51 PM

what I don't get is why people yearn for the days where there was a team in Winnipeg. Big deal - so there was a Winnipeg franchise in NHL94, I like Evgeny Davydov too - but the team was there 15 years and won squat. They will be operating under much more rigorous financial constraints now - why do we want this? Because 'the people of Winnipeg deserve it'? Look, it sucks that their team moved - but the real mistake was giving them an NHL franchise to begin with.

:hail:
This post was brought to you by the letters, D, P & H

"I wasn't trying to be funny. If I was you would have noticed because you'd be laughing.."-C.G 04/14/07

"The winters of my childhood were long, long seasons. we lived in three places, the school, the church, and the skating rink. But our real life was on the skating rink" (from the back of the 5 Dollar bill, proof that Canada IS hockey country..)

Loyalty above all, Save honour

15 seconds left, your team is down a goal...Are YOU in the parking lot or still in the stands?

OFFICIAL MEMBER OF Team Awesome.ca...KEEPING MANITOBA AWESOME!!!!

"FLAMES FANS- the new generation of the 90's Leaf fans, naive and stupid with no actual hockey intelligence..(which is expected when 80% of your fanbase are bandwagoners who started watching April 2004)"- PureTalent#19

Keeper of the Sprite in Marty's water bottle
Posted Image

#42 annabelle

annabelle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:54 PM

Some areas are just better for hockey. Edmonton is in the middle of nowhere. Yet we never hear anyone putting them down about how they shouldn't have a team.

It would be nice to see Canada get another team again.

I don't think they should have one...but i don't matter..:P

Nice for who to see Canada get another team? :noclue: The people that can't afford seats?

I honestly think Hamilton would be a good choice, even though it's in Laff country..a Hamilton team would get alot of the Laff/Sens runoff and it's a nice city..unlike winnipeg or edmonton

Edited by annabelle, 30 May 2007 - 10:55 PM.

"I wasn't trying to be funny. If I was you would have noticed because you'd be laughing.."-C.G 04/14/07

"The winters of my childhood were long, long seasons. we lived in three places, the school, the church, and the skating rink. But our real life was on the skating rink" (from the back of the 5 Dollar bill, proof that Canada IS hockey country..)

15 seconds left, your team is down a goal...Are YOU in the parking lot or still in the stands?

"FLAMES FANS- the new generation of the 90's Leaf fans, naive and stupid with no actual hockey intelligence..(which is expected when 80% of your fanbase are bandwagoners who started watching April 2004)"- PureTalent#19

Posted Image

#43 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,594 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:55 PM

I think Derek thinks that Canada is somehow being deprived of hockey. :unsure:
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#44 annabelle

annabelle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:57 PM

A girl at worr tonight got in trouble for not having the hockey game on in the clients lounge in her wing from the supervisor..He said she was "depriving them of Candian culture..." I on the other hand wasn;'t in trouble at all...because not only did I have it on in the lounge in my area but I also had the game on in every single room as I moved from one to the other...lol

Edited by annabelle, 30 May 2007 - 10:58 PM.

Posted Image

#45 Devilsdude530

Devilsdude530

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:01 PM

I just think KCity is too much of a no-brainer. There's a geographic rivalry with 2 teams in that division, plus everyone hates Detroit so that'll grow in time.
Steve is now at Kukla's Korner, so check him out.

Keeper of Mr. Overtime, Patrick Elias.
Keeper of Johnny Oduya
Keeper of Kevin Weekes
Keeper of the NJ Rock 'n' Rollers
Keeper of The NHL On VERSUS and THE NHL On NBC

"Not every player is a Devil" - Lou Lamoriello

#46 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,917 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:37 AM

If you were moving into a hockey market, would you rather do this:

-Go to a place where there already are hockey fans, already are good local TV numbers, where once football is over, the only competition is baseball's answer to the Chicago Blackhawks, it's a blue collar town that would embrace these guys...and oh yeah, you're paying NO RENT WHATSOEVER.

Or...

-Go to a market like Hartford, that failed before, deal with competition from 4 other teams (BOS, NYI, NYR, NJ) in the area, plus minor league hockey in an already crowded sports area.

Or...

-Go to Houston or Portland and build from no or little (okay, the WHL and the old-school Aeros count) hockey tradition, somewhat of a rivalry to develop (HOU-DAL or POR-VAN) but really still, an uphill climb with the basketball team getting the better of the dates in the arena and media attention.

Kansas City is such a no brainer, there are easily the least obstacles for launching a team.

One minor problem...like Nashville, there is no demand for hockey in KC, and no hockey fans in that neck of the woods. This is going to be another place where you have to tell people they want hockey, show them why it's so great, educate them, drop ticket prices to get farmer john into the building. It's a huge endeavor.

Edited by '7', 31 May 2007 - 12:40 AM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#47 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:08 AM

Don't know where exactly to put this, but it was on the news this morning.

Jim Balisle has entered into a contract with Copps Coliseaum stating that nobody but Jim may use Copps for an NHL franchise. Why would Jim pay for such a concession if he had no plans? Food for thought.

So it looks like if the Predators are moving somewhere, it won't be Winnipeg.

Edited by Don, 31 May 2007 - 08:09 AM.

"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#48 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,917 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:10 AM

The Copps Coliseum will probably just be a temporary home for the Preds until the Kitchener-Waterloo Arena is ready.

Winnipeg shouldn't give up though, they may get there chance at Atlanta, Florida, Phoenix, or Carolina. We can only hope Nashville is the first domino.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#49 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,508 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:23 AM

One minor problem...like Nashville, there is no demand for hockey in KC, and no hockey fans in that neck of the woods. This is going to be another place where you have to tell people they want hockey, show them why it's so great, educate them, drop ticket prices to get farmer john into the building. It's a huge endeavor.

right - just ignore the fact that KC has the highest ratings for hockey of any city that lacks an NHL team.

It amuses me to no end that ^7^ really thinks Winnipeg can support a team better than any of the cities mentioned.

Edited by Triumph, 31 May 2007 - 10:24 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#50 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,471 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:29 AM

I may be in the minority but I feel Guam has the most natural right to a team regardless of viability. So for me lets give a team to Guam, then Canada, and then maybe some US cities.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#51 SC Devs Fan

SC Devs Fan

The News Guy

• Members
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:39 AM

I don't think Nashville can move based on its lease agreement, but maybe Bettmen was pushing for an expansion team in Winnipeg.

The NHL needs to lose franchises, not expand
"There is money in the banana stand"

George Bluth

#52 puckrock

puckrock

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:53 AM

It would be nice for Nashville, Florida, and Phoenix to be moved contracted.

There, I fixed it for ya. ;)

...Wasn't Hartford pushing hard for a new franchise? I haven't seen anyone mention them as a possibility. I agree it would be nice to see another team back in Winnipeg, but it doesn't seem doable.
This is my 2012 Playoff signature.

#53 annabelle

annabelle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:46 AM

lol...has anyone actually BEEN to Winnipeg?

Sure the MTS is GORGEOUS and state of the art , but it is far too small

Posted Image

#54 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:00 PM

The Copps Coliseum will probably just be a temporary home for the Preds until the Kitchener-Waterloo Arena is ready.

Winnipeg shouldn't give up though, they may get there chance at Atlanta, Florida, Phoenix, or Carolina. We can only hope Nashville is the first domino.

Rooting for teams to move..wow

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#55 annabelle

annabelle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:51 PM

If anyone believes that the NHL should be cutting the number of teams then they should be a proponent of a franchise coming to Winnipeg..because one will never survive here..

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users