#21 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:27 PM

IMHO -

Let Raf go and sign Schneider - Savings ~1Mil + Schneider has a WAY better shot and would instantly make our PP better.

No thanks,

Schneider is nowhere close to being as good as Rafalski.

Rafi also has one more powerplay goal than Schneider, and thats with Rafis shot.

Plus the fact Schneider is 38.

As well as that he missed 20 or so games.

The extra 1 million gets you a player 1 millon dollars better than the other.

Timmonen is the closest player out there to Rafalski.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#22 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:42 PM

uhhh, is TFP on drugs?

JS Gigeure, estimated salary, 2 million dollars?

Teemu Selanne, estimated salary, 7.7 million dollars?

Nylander has a team option - I'd be utterly shocked if the Rangers don't exercise it.

Also, putting Handzus and Sykora above Zubrus is a joke.

You have to be wrong on Nylander because there's been nothing about this at all which leads me to believe it's a player option. And he already fired his agent because he had basically agreed in principle to a 3-year deal worth an average of 3.75 per.

So, he's going to hire a new agent and look to get even more money which is bad news for the Rangers.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#23 Brad

Brad

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:16 PM

Im still going with a stop gap UFA this year and then see what is avaliable next year.

We just dont have the kids in the organisation to fill a position like that.

None of the Devils AHL prospects have the abillity to play on the top 2 lines at this point IMO.

Clarkson is the only player who might make an impact, but the rest havent even lit up the AHL.

How can we just get a stop gap this year?

We only have 3 - 4 years left with Marty being able to play like Marty. We are very much a win now team. Would you like us to just get a 'stop gap' and sputter out in the playoffs? Our team is loaded with talent and enough hungry youth to make a real stab at the cup, we just need to fill 3 spaces with roll players in the off season *somehow*. Honestly I have no idea how Lou can pull it off, but we need a big center to give Elias and Gio space to be creative and 2 solid D-men.

#24 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:31 AM

How can we just get a stop gap this year?

We only have 3 - 4 years left with Marty being able to play like Marty. We are very much a win now team. Would you like us to just get a 'stop gap' and sputter out in the playoffs? Our team is loaded with talent and enough hungry youth to make a real stab at the cup, we just need to fill 3 spaces with roll players in the off season *somehow*. Honestly I have no idea how Lou can pull it off, but we need a big center to give Elias and Gio space to be creative and 2 solid D-men.

You sign a player like Zubris for 1 year, who is a big forward, and wait an see what tallent is avaliable next years UFA.That would be a stop gap. we remain competitive without being tied down to a sttpid contract.

That gives your farm players one more year of development.

The defensive options on the FA market this season and next are very poor.

Timmonen is the most interesting player outside the two who are currently Devils players.

If Gomez goes we could sign Rafalski and Timmonen but that leaves hardly any $$$ for anyone else.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#25 TravisZajac

TravisZajac

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 06:49 AM

You sign a player like Zubris for 1 year, who is a big forward, and wait an see what tallent is avaliable next years UFA.That would be a stop gap. we remain competitive without being tied down to a sttpid contract.

That gives your farm players one more year of development.

The defensive options on the FA market this season and next are very poor.

Timmonen is the most interesting player outside the two who are currently Devils players.

If Gomez goes we could sign Rafalski and Timmonen but that leaves hardly any $$$ for anyone else.

The fact is the Devils build around the draft not the UFA PLAYERS.Actually, they'r not the only team to do that"An other exemple is the Pittsburgh Steelers.They let go their great players(Joey Porter this year)And they replace them via the Draft(Timmons,LaMarr Woodley..)
Posted Image

#26 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:06 AM

You have to be wrong on Nylander because there's been nothing about this at all which leads me to believe it's a player option. And he already fired his agent because he had basically agreed in principle to a 3-year deal worth an average of 3.75 per.

So, he's going to hire a new agent and look to get even more money which is bad news for the Rangers.

There doesn't appear to be anything optional about the Nylander situation, if there is, it's a player option and he's already told them, quietly, because it hasn't been in the papers, that he doesn't want it. As Derek has noted, what he has done, and it has been in the papers, has fired the agent for negotiating a deal which was less than he wanted without consulting him. So, if there was a player option, he rejected it, was going for a new deal and his (now) former agent went and negotiated something behind his back with Sather and agreed to it without even checking with Nylander about the years and dollar amounts.

He's looking for a new agent. Says he wants to stay in NY, but wants fair market value, whatever that is. I have no idea what that means these days.

There are also rumors (and I stress these are rumors) that since Jagr has at most two years left (the second year is an option and I'm not sure whether is his Jagr's or the team's) and after that he has made it clear he is leaving for Europe, he's done with the NHL, that the Rangers aren't considering him part of the "strategic" plan past next season, that they may sign someone to a 1-year deal to play with him this year, but they will make longer-range plans which may include trying to make a major deal for the long-term at next season's trading deadline for one of the upcoming UFAs (with an understanding that that player would sign immediately), or a deal next summer. He may be one of the assets that can get them closer to the Cup in the next two years but they aren't going to keep trying to sign people because of him as a major part of their plan. Or maybe it's all a lot of smoke and mirrors.

Edited by SueNJ97, 08 June 2007 - 08:08 AM.

NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#27 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,788 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:12 AM

Jaromir Jagr only has 2 years left as a seriously productive player.

You really can't sign a player for 1 year - almost no one but the oldest players will sign a deal like that. They'd take less money and a longer deal in almost every case. The Devils have to decide if they want a center for the next 3, 4, or 5 years. Otherwise they may just consider moving Parise to center this off-season and acquiring a stopgap LW (of which there are more on the market).

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#28 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:02 AM

The fact is the Devils build around the draft not the UFA PLAYERS.Actually, they'r not the only team to do that"An other exemple is the Pittsburgh Steelers.They let go their great players(Joey Porter this year)And they replace them via the Draft(Timmons,LaMarr Woodley..)

But what have we got coming through????

If we had another Zajac or antoher Parise i would say fine but we dont.

You cant replace a player like scott Gomez with Vrana.

I dont get why people keep saying this , Mogilny, Malakhov, Mcgillis were all stop gap players that just went wrong, Lou does sign UFA's!!!!

The reason i think everyone says that he dosnt is because they always turn out on the whole terribly and poeple try and forget.

This wouldnt be a signing to build the franchise around this would be a signing to get a position filled effectivley for a season or so, then rplaced by tallent, which as you say would come from the draft and the farm system.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9, 08 June 2007 - 10:04 AM.

Posted Image

#29 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:49 AM

IMHO -

Let Raf go and sign Schneider - Savings ~1Mil + Schneider has a WAY better shot and would instantly make our PP better.

Huh? Schneider DOES have a better shot, but Rafi is a much better PP QB and better all around player than the much traveled Schneider. Schieder also has some guy name Lidstrom to help his numbers.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#30 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:55 AM

I dont get why people keep saying this , Mogilny, Malakhov, Mcgillis were all stop gap players that just went wrong, Lou does sign UFA's!!!!

Lou does sign UFA's.....for the league minimum (Dowd, Rass, etc.) Lou signed the 3M guys as a stop gap for Neids and Elias getting sick. He will not make that same mistake twice.

Lou expects the younger players (Madden when we lost Holik, Martin when we lost Nieds) to pick-up the slack.

Lou's priortity is to sign RAFI first, then negotiate with Gomez. If Gomer leaves, I don't expect him to sign anyone. He will play the waiver wire and maybe sign a low salary UFA. Thats it.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#31 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:10 PM

Does signing Zubrus would be the solution?(Ex of the 2lines):

Elias-Parise-Gionta
Zubrus-Zajac-Langenbrunner

I would be afraid the 1st line will be a dwarf toss. Rather see langs on 1st with Zach, & move gionta with
Zajac & another bigger body.

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#32 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:38 PM

I would be afraid the 1st line will be a dwarf toss. Rather see langs on 1st with Zach, & move gionta with

Even better, as illogical as it sounds, sign Zubrus and put him on a line with Zajac and Parise, call it the ZZZ line and let the media have a field day. :rolleyes:

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#33 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,505 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:44 PM

That line puts me to sleep...which fits right in with the boring Devils. It is a must happen.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#34 Sockeye

Sockeye

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:17 PM

I know someone that has a friend pretty high up with the Coyotes. I asked him about a week ago to check with his friend to see if he has heard anything about Gomez and the Yotes. I talked to him today and he said Gomez isn't going to Phoenix. His buddy told him they aren't interested in Gomer because he wants to much $$$$. I'm not sure if there have been any discussions or if this is based simply on what they expect him to get and its too much, but his friend seemed pretty certain Gomez wouldn't be a Coyote.

#35 TravisZajac

TravisZajac

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 11:37 AM

But what have we got coming through????

If we had another Zajac or antoher Parise i would say fine but we dont.

You cant replace a player like scott Gomez with Vrana.

The reason i think everyone says that he dosnt is because they always turn out on the whole terribly and poeple try and forget.

This wouldnt be a signing to build the franchise around this would be a signing to get a position filled effectivley for a season or so, then rplaced by tallent, which as you say would come from the draft and the farm system.

:doh1: I forgot to say the difference between the Nfl/Nhl is actually what you said: You can't replace Gomez for Vrana, because with the Nfl draft there's so depth you can get great players even in the 3rd-4rth round.And yes, When you loose a player you have to replace him.As for Mogilny,Malakhov,Mcgillis...These are the few errors that Lou did...There's worst Gm than him for Ufa signings/Trades: Gainey for Exemple:Samsonov/Kovalev , Traded Niniimaa for Ribeiro,Didn't trade Souray ect..
Posted Image

#36 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,196 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:32 PM

I don't think Gomez is coming back here but I don't think he is going to any of those teams that were listed either.

#37 TravisZajac

TravisZajac

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:41 PM

Well Zubrus did play center..So what about this?

Elias-Zubrus-Gionta
Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

Or

Elias-Parise-Langenbrunner
Zubrus-Zajac-Gionta like you said.
Posted Image

#38 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:57 PM

Big fan of Hartnell.

#39 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,287 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:02 PM

I don't know much about Timonen, but it would be awesome to see a physical guy like Hannan come to NJ to beef up the d-corps.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#40 xxchaznjxx

xxchaznjxx

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:44 PM

Big fan of Hartnell.

i think he'd look great in a devils uniform instead of zubrus. and we should pick up timonen while we're at it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users