34 replies to this topic

#21 TravisZajac

TravisZajac

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:16 PM

Good match by Henin against Williams,...A good final would be: Henin vs V.Williams...And..Henin would win.
Posted Image

#22 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,383 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:05 PM

Day 8 Results

Gentlemen's Singles

Fourth Round
Andy Roddick (3) def. Paul-Henri Mathieu, 6-2, 7-5, 7-6 (8-6)
Richard Gasquet (12) def. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, 6-4, 6-3, 6-4

Third Round
Rafael Nadal (2) def. Robin Soderling (28), 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (7-9), 4-6, 7-5
Novak Djokovic (4) def. Nicolas Kiefer, 7-6 (7-4), 6-7 (6-8), 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)

Ladies' Singles

Quarterfinals
Justine Henin (1) def. Serena Williams (7), 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
Marion Bartoli (18) def. Michaella Krajicek (31), 3-6, 6-3, 6-2

Fourth Round
Venus Williams (23) def. Maria Sharapova (2), 6-1, 6-3

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#23 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,283 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:42 AM

Venus' game is at a different level. I can't see anyone beating her. She beat Sharapova pretty badly today but there were some great rallies and games when Sharapova was serving.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#24 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,874 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:45 AM

I haven't been able to catch much of this rainfilled tournament which kind of sucks since it's awesome.

Venus beating Sharapova that easy is surprising. But I don't see anyone beating Henin this time.

It sucks that you already have some quarters set and some guys still have 4th round matches to play.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#25 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:20 PM

...I don't see anyone beating Henin this time.

She got bounced pretty thoroughly today!

Sadly, Roddick couldn't close out his Gasquet, either. Bleh, another shot at Federer down the tubes.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#26 Belizarius

Belizarius

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:16 AM

Go Bartoli!
Go Gasquet!

:P
Diable Noir

Posted Image

#27 NYGDevils32

NYGDevils32

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:21 AM

I really never watched tennis, but I have been pretty tuned in this year to this tournament. Great matchups coming up on both the mens and womens sides.

#28 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,874 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:52 PM

She got bounced pretty thoroughly today!

Sadly, Roddick couldn't close out his Gasquet, either. Bleh, another shot at Federer down the tubes.

I was glad to be wrong about that iggy. I just don't like Henin for some reason. I'm also glad Venus won her fourth Wimbledon. She was almost out in the third round and then cruised against tough opponents. The Williams sisters still are the best players on the women's tour when healthy and motivated. That's what this year's proven. I wish Clijsters was still playing. She was fun to watch.

Congrats to Bartoli on being runner-up. That was a huge surprise. She didn't play poorly by any stretch today but just ran into a better player.

Roger vs Rafa tomorrow morning again! That should be awesome. Even if you're not a tennis fan, it's worth getting up early to watch. Federer trying to match Borg and win slam No.11 against his toughest foe who is trying to win on another surface. This should be great! I also give Nadal more of a chance because of how the schedule has been. Playing every day or so is tough and that might give Rafa an edge if it goes long. We'll see.

I'm pulling for Feds to make history because that would be great for tennis.

As for Roddick, he just disappointed again. He had Gasquet two sets and 4-2 and blew it. I thought Gasquet could give him a match because he can hit backhand winners from anywhere and did. 93 winners and over 30 from that side. Amazing. He showed a lot. I believe he's a futute champion.

Roddick still should've won but he looked spent in that final set. His window is closing because young talented players such as Gasquet and Djokovic are improving. Novak is the third best player in the world now. He'll win a slam soon.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#29 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,383 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

I can't stand Williams but I congratulate her on winning this tournemant. I am not excited about another Federer/Nadal final, I was really hoping an underdog would get in there to take one of them on.

Is it me or did this tournament just not have the same pazzaz as other years? Perhaps it was the rain, because it felt like there were more storms this year than in the past couple of ones.

Can't wait for the US Open, depending on how much it costs maybe I will be able to go to my first professional tennis match.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#30 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,874 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:08 PM

The rain delays definitely hurt fiesty. But it also showed who was really fit because it's been a battle of attrition.

#31 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,283 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:29 PM

What a final! Federer pulls through in a 5th set. That was very close and looked like Nadal had it for a while.

5 in a row for Federer.

Edited by devilsrule33, 08 July 2007 - 12:29 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#32 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:02 PM

Federer makes me want to like tennis. I wish i had seen this match.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#33 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,874 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:49 PM

That was a great match. From the very start, I could tell it was going to be just from the way they were striking the ball. This was some of the best tennis you'll see from two great champions.

Rafa would've prevailed against any other player. He was outstanding. I wasn't sure Roger could win if it went five. He showed tremendous resolve saving those break points in the third and fifth games. If Nadal gets one, that might have been it because he clearly had all the momentum. But Feds saved all four and then played a remarkable sixth game producing a couple of sizzling winners. That point which he got the break was great. Both guys came up with difficult shots but Roger found the line.

Congrats to Roger on matching Borg! :hail: :hail:

#34 NYGDevils32

NYGDevils32

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:11 PM

Great match. I never watched tennis before this tournament, and now I'm going to watch more. I won a bet against my cousin since he is a Nadal fan. :evil:

#35 TravisZajac

TravisZajac

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:27 PM

Great match. I never watched tennis before this tournament, and now I'm going to watch more. I won a bet against my cousin since he is a Nadal fan. :evil:

hehe :P, there's the US Open coming in August/September?
You must watch it!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users