94 replies to this topic

#1 Sockeye

Sockeye

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:20 AM

I'm from Anchorage and I heard from someone that knows one of Gomer's good buddies, who said from his most recent conversation with Scott that he believes its down to Rangers, Flyers, and Kings. He got the impression this was mostly due to the offers he expects to get from those teams. He got the distinct impression that Scott is considering all of those teams legitimate options.

I have a sneaky suspicion it may very well end up being the Rangers. One of the Rangers top young prospects is Brandon Dubinsky. He saw a little time with the Rangers last season and was their top rookie at camp last year. I'm guessing Dubinsky has a good chance to make the roster this year. Dubinsky is also from Anchorage and their dads are pretty good buddies. Not that this necessarily means anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had some small impact.

#2 Voros19

Voros19

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:26 AM

Jason Ryznar is also from Anchorage Alaska and had a cup of coffee a season ago...

I don't think it means much.
Posted Image

Enjoy your dream world. It's on schedule to come crashing down on or about November 1.

#3 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:58 AM

out of those three, gomez would probably go kings since he has a ton of close family members here in southern california.

personally, seeing one of my favorite devils going to either the flyers or worse the faget rangers would make my stomach turn...

if he was not on the devils, i would like to see him go to vancouver or the kings.
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#4 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:25 AM

If he's negotiated with any of those teams there will be serious tampering charges. He doesn't know who will make an offer until after July 1st.
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#5 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:27 AM

good point

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#6 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,504 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:57 AM

I have been guessing LA since the start. Just seemed to make the most sense to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if all the big UFA's know about how much and what teams are going to be offering them deals. All unofficially of course.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#7 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:09 AM

I wonder if the "Scott would never play for the Rangers" notion is just wishful thinking.

#8 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,288 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:13 AM

If he's negotiated with any of those teams there will be serious tampering charges. He doesn't know who will make an offer until after July 1st.

Excellent point, first thing i thought of when the OP suggested he got offers. Didnt we get a few draft picks because the blues tried to negotiate with Stevens before he was a FA?

#9 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:13 AM

I wonder if the "Scott would never play for the Rangers" notion is just wishful thinking.

it is

If anything this weekend has shown we should never take how a person acts or says things in public with ANY shred of truth anymore :P

But Gomez has said for over a month now... it's about the money.... well some team is gonna give him the money and get one lazy-ass player out of the deal.... remember all those games we were SCREAMING about him not being there and not wanting to try... that was while he was trying to earn his bacon... can you imagine how bad it will be when he gets a full plate of bacon ???

(not to mention let's add him to the list of failure that crossed the river and left their talent in NJ !!!)
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#10 SC Devs Fan

SC Devs Fan

The News Guy

• Members
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:17 AM

I think that's what most people think he SHOULD be thinking. Its easy for us to say as fans that if the Rangers offered an extra $500,000 a year (for the sake of argument, lets say LA offers 7M, NYR 7.5) that he shouldn't go because its only 500,000 a year and he's already making a boatload but last I checked that 500,000 spends just like real money. Its a question of what Scott deems important, not us, and if he's driven by getting the best deal he can get then I don't think you can rule NYR out. At this point his loyalty is only to himself.
"There is money in the banana stand"

George Bluth

#11 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,504 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:18 AM

I think that's what most people think he SHOULD be thinking.

I think people are basing it off of the quote from Gomez saying he would never play for the Rangers. I tend to think he would but he made a definitive quote that he will have to go back on to do so.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#12 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:23 AM

Mmmmm. Bacon. A whole plate of it! :dance:

If you were Sather, what would you do? I'd be pilin' up that bacon high because I have no centers right now, and I'd rather court Gomez than Nylander. We may end up a unhappy bunch, I'm afraid.

#13 gordienumber9

gordienumber9

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:29 AM

i wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him in blue next season and frankly i don't care much. i honestly don't want a player who's "all about the money." i uunderstand it's a huge part of it but if it's the only reason you're playing on a team then i don't want you in a devil's jersey. besides, he is absolutly lazy. whether or not that changes next season is yet to be told but as of right now his lazy play and desire for more money is all that's sticking out in my mind.

#14 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:44 AM

I think the lazy thing is a bit exaggerated. He isn't Petr Nedved or Valeri Kamensky.

I also think that the fact that he doesn't breathe fire through his nose like Scott Stevens doesn't sit well with people. They think his jovial nature = soft and uncompetitive.

Edited by Jerrydevil, 27 June 2007 - 09:44 AM.

#15 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:49 AM

it is

If anything this weekend has shown we should never take how a person acts or says things in public with ANY shred of truth anymore :P

But Gomez has said for over a month now... it's about the money.... well some team is gonna give him the money and get one lazy-ass player out of the deal.... remember all those games we were SCREAMING about him not being there and not wanting to try... that was while he was trying to earn his bacon... can you imagine how bad it will be when he gets a full plate of bacon ???

(not to mention let's add him to the list of failure that crossed the river and left their talent in NJ !!!)

gomez would not be added to this list. no matter how 'lazy' he played (and honestly, i think he will have a better season wherever he signs), he would put up 40 assists in his sleep playing with jagr. his career will not go down the toilet, he's not at the end of the line like maclean or driver, and he's not a player you can really misuse like bobby holik.

nylander may have better marginal value than scott gomez - the only issue with nylander is years. this will not be gomez's last contract, but it will be nylander's and he's never been known as the most fired up guy either. still, if you can get nylander and, say, tom preissing along with him, i think you've made your team better, at least this year, than if you spent all that money on gomez.

and obviously gomez's 'i will never play for the rangers' is a lot of crap. i'm not saying he'll go wherever he gets the most money, but i'm 95% sure he will.

jerry - gomez doesn't take whole months off like the guys you mentioned, but he takes shifts and games off. his head never seemed to be in the game, and far too often he passed the puck to an area instead of a man.

Edited by Triumph, 27 June 2007 - 09:53 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#16 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:55 AM

jerry - gomez doesn't take whole months off like the guys you mentioned, but he takes shifts and games off. his head never seemed to be in the game, and far too often he passed the puck to an area instead of a man.

Believe me, I haven't forgotten how frustrating his performances were during much of the regular season.

#17 NYGDevils32

NYGDevils32

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:56 AM

He will be the next Bobby Holik, if he goes to the Rags. I see him being a LA King though.

#18 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:00 AM

gomez would average better than .85 points a game during his first season with the rangers - minimum of 40 games. calling him the next bobby holik is just wishful thinking. he may not ever equal his 05-06 season, but he'd do okay for himself in ranger blue.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#19 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:30 AM

The current line on Scotty Gomez is... There are teams willing to pay $8 million dollars for the guy. He has been seen running with Shanahan, so the Rangers are being speculated. The Flyers will be in that battle as well...As will the Islanders, Oilers, Senators, Avalanche and Wild. The interesting thing about Gomez demanding so much is that if you talk to some Devils players they don't believe he should get that much. "He is much better with Lou behind the bench" I have heard over and over..draw your own conclusions.

via hockeybuzz

#20 NJD Jester

NJD Jester

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,719 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:34 AM

As will the Islanders, Oilers, Senators, Avalanche and Wild.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes, Scott Gomez will leave New Jersey to go play in Jacques Lemaire's system.

<JESTER>
Posted Image

"Glow Pucks & 10-Cent Beer: The 101 Worst Ideas in Sports History" is available now online and at local bookstores.

Get your NJD fan stories published in Hell & Back: A People's History Of The New Jersey Devils. Visit The Hell & Back Homepage for details!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users