60 replies to this topic

#1 mort4345

mort4345

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:11 PM

I realize this topic will be heresy for some, but I've actually been thinking about this for some time: Is our beloved captain overpaid? To sum up, he basically landed a 7-year deal for $42 ($7.5 million next year, a contract average of $6 million). Last year he posted 69 points (21 goals, 48 assists) and had 8 PP goals. In the playoffs he scored on PP goal and had 9 assists. Elias generally plays rather soft, is non existent during shootouts and seems to go on prolonged cold streaks at inopportune times. Not that it's his fault, but his bout with hepatitis seems to have some lingering effects as well. And could that illness weigh him down in the future? Not to be harsh, but it seems to me that packaging Elias (could we put something together with Vancouver?) might not be the craziest idea in the world. Thoughts?

#2 devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:13 PM

Depends, was Elias' last year a trend or an aberation. If an aberation, then no.
Official Keeper of the 3 story statue of a hockey player by the artist J. Krawczyk.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchens

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#3 jkrdevil

jkrdevil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:13 PM

Can't really say he is overpaid when Gomez had less points than him last year and got more money on the open market.

Elias had a bad year last year. I think he will be fine. He also has NMC so he isn't going anywhere.

#4 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:14 PM

Elias's contract is significantly better than almost every deal signed during this FA period, and he is a better player than every single player who went to market this off-season.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#5 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:17 PM

We all agree Elias did not have a great year last year and he still was (I think) the leader in points. Elias at his best overpaid? No. We'll have to see what kind of year he has this coming year. There was a lot of pressure on him this season being the new captain with the new contract. First scoring line, first powerplay line... If we focus on the new faces, and maybe Parise - Zajac- and Langenbrunner will handle the scoring... Elias plays better out of the spotlight it seems

#6 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,505 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:18 PM

I would contend Elias doesn't play soft at all. On the top 2 lines he probably ended up having the most big hits for the year, followed closely by Langs, and then nobody else even close to either of them. Elias also doesn't have a problem going anywhere on the ice regardless of the physical contact he may attract.

At the end of the day Elias is one of the best 2 way wingers in the game and the contract he has is a good deal, IMO.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#7 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:18 PM

Elias's contract is significantly better than almost every deal signed during this FA period, and he is a better player than every single player who went to market this off-season.

Nuff said
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#8 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,717 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:21 PM

you know, I swear
it's threads like this that make me want to shut the place down for the summer

the stupid factor is BEYOND out of control now..... :argh:
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#9 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,505 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:27 PM

you know, I swear

Come on Crasher, I don't think that is fair in this case. This guy brought on opinion and gave his reasons for it. I definitely don't agree but it wasn't a plug for a site and the poster gave some thought to it which led into a discussion.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#10 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:30 PM

you know, I swear

You know you are a die hard Devil's fan when you get this upset at this kind of post....

oops... wrong thread.

This should just about end discussion on this thread.
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#11 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,717 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

Come on Crasher, I don't think that is fair in this case. This guy brought on opinion and gave his reasons for it. I definitely don't agree but it wasn't a plug for a site and the poster gave some thought to it which led into a discussion.

I guess not
and in a normal summer I'm sure I'd be ok with it

but I think my tolerance for the less then intelligent threads on here is thinning a little... and how anyone can be overpaid compared to the moronic money and years even Gomez and Rafalski got is hard to imagine to me :noclue:
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#12 pattyelias

pattyelias

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:58 PM

$6 million a season for 21 goals and 69 points for Elias versus $7.3 million a season for 13 goals and 60 points for Gomez. Seems like Elias is a steal.

#13 metallidevils

metallidevils

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:59 PM

I'm admittedly not a big fan at all of Elias, but Triumph is right...in this day and age, I guess we're considered lucky to have a guy with potential for a point a game (maybe more) for that sort of money. Especially since, at least with every Devils signing, everyone is really only focusing on one or two solid seasons that these guys had, and are expecting similar production.

However, I can't agree with the captaincy at all.
"We had our chances. But Martin Brodeur is a hell of a player."
Posted Image
Posted Image of "It's a power play goal! F*** you Sam Rosen!"

#14 metallidevils

metallidevils

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:01 PM

$6 million a season for 21 goals and 69 points for Elias versus $7.3 million a season for 13 goals and 60 points for Gomez. Seems like Elias is a steal.

Almost every contract in the league seems like a steal compared to the Gomez contract.

Jeter at like 16 million is a 'steal' compared to ARod at 25 million, it doesn't matter, they're both still overpaid.

I'm not going to contradict what I just said above, I'm not complaining that Elias is overpaid (well, before this offseason I was), but you can't just compare it with Gomez's contract and call it a steal.
"We had our chances. But Martin Brodeur is a hell of a player."
Posted Image
Posted Image of "It's a power play goal! F*** you Sam Rosen!"

#15 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:03 PM

Overall I think Elias is not overpaid compared to what he could have gotten on the market this summer.

#16 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,911 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:42 PM

Elias just had a rough year. Look at the way he played the year before this after he came back from the hepatitis, and how he played against the Rags in the playoffs that year. Remember the soccer kick pass?? He'll be fine. Although, I do agree I don't see him as a captain.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#17 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:47 PM

Here's what you have to realize, Elias was very underpaid with his first two contracts. Secondly, could he have received that same money on the open market? Without question. I could have things mixed up, but I have heard that Sather offered him more money than the Devils last year and he turned it down. Part of me thinks he was signed before July 1st, so I could just be off here.

Now, want to say his production hasn't matched his salary? That is one thing. However, if that is the reason you are going to trade him, you are not going to get fair market value for his potential. You never do on salary dumps.

Edited by Matteau#32, 13 July 2007 - 05:47 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:07 PM

They guy had a horrible year last season by his standards, and he still lead this team in points.

He can forecheck when needed, the guy is not soft in any way, he might have lost a little bit of grit due to the ilness, but he is no way overpaid.

If he was a FA this year i expect he would have been the #1.

I expect him to have a great year for us this season.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#19 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,297 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:25 PM

I think Elias is well over paid but im glad we did it. I'd rather over pay a few players and put together a contending team year in and year out then get every player at cost and become a step up from a farm team.

#20 pattyelias

pattyelias

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:26 PM

Almost every contract in the league seems like a steal compared to the Gomez contract.

Jeter at like 16 million is a 'steal' compared to ARod at 25 million, it doesn't matter, they're both still overpaid.

I'm not going to contradict what I just said above, I'm not complaining that Elias is overpaid (well, before this offseason I was), but you can't just compare it with Gomez's contract and call it a steal.

I was being sarcastic. That being said I don't really feel that Elias' contract is that crazy. I mean unlike Gomez, we're talking about a guy who has had a 40 goal season and 2 more 30 goal seasons. He also has the single season Devils scoring mark. When he came back from hepatitis he single handedly changed the team's fortunes. Patty has also had some huge playoffs, and in years where the Devils were successfully in the playoffs, unlike Gomez who only seemed to show up in the playoffs last year when he realized he had to impress potential free agency bidders since his regular season was so lackluster.

With Patty you know you're going to get heart, leadership, clutch scoring, great 2-way play and a great attitude. With Gomez all you know you're going to get nifty moves through the neutral zone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users