11 replies to this topic

#1 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,838 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:29 AM

Does ANYONE in this damn country anymore TAKE ACCOUNTABILITY FOR THEIR OWN MISERY !?!??! :rant:

RENO, Nev. - A couple who authorities say were so obsessed with the Internet and video games that they left their babies starving and suffering other health problems have pleaded guilty to child neglect.

The children of Michael and Iana Straw, a boy age 22 months and a girl age 11 months, were severely malnourished and near death last month when doctors saw them after social workers took them to a hospital, authorities said. Both children are doing well and gaining weight in foster care, prosecutor Kelli Ann Viloria told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

Michael Straw, 25, and Iana Straw, 23, pleaded guilty Friday to two counts each of child neglect. Each faces a maximum 12-year prison sentence.

Viloria said the Reno couple were too distracted by online video games, mainly the fantasy role-playing "Dungeons & Dragons" series, to give their children proper care.

"They had food; they just chose not to give it to their kids because they were too busy playing video games," Viloria told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

Police said hospital staff had to shave the head of the girl because her hair was matted with cat urine. The 10-pound girl also had a mouth infection, dry skin and severe dehydration.

Her brother had to be treated for starvation and a genital infection. His lack of muscle development caused him difficulty in walking, investigators said.

The Straws have been given public defenders. Jeremy Bosler, head of the county public defender's office, declined to comment to The Associated Press on Saturday.

Michael Straw is an unemployed cashier, and his wife worked for a temporary staffing agency doing warehouse work, according to court records. He received a $50,000 inheritance that he spent on computer equipment and a large plasma television, authorities said.

While child abuse because of drug addiction is common, abuse rooted in video game addiction is rare, Viloria said.

Last month, experts at an American Medical Association meeting backed away from a proposal to designate video game addiction as a mental disorder, saying it had to be studied further. Some said the issue is like alcoholism, while others said there was no concrete evidence it's a psychological disease.

Patrick Killen, spokesman for Nevada Child Abuse Prevention, said video game addiction's correlation to child abuse is "a new spin on an old problem."

"As we become more technologically advanced, there's more distractions," Killen said. "It's easy for someone to get addicted to something and neglect their children. Whether it's video games or meth, it's a serious issue, and (we) need to become more aware of it."
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#2 Nature's Minister

Nature's Minister

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:31 AM

well they did plead guilty and they're not offering it as a defense, just an explanation. that's taking responsibility, right
Is that a Japanese configuration?

#3 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,838 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:35 AM

well they did plead guilty and they're not offering it as a defense, just an explanation. that's taking responsibility, right

I suppose... but still... you're pretty farooqed in the head if you allow that to happen.. I mean I game and do all the geeky stuff as much if not MORE then anyone... but even I know the damn difference and when it's time to unplug....what scares me is if they were hosting D&D and WAN games in the house... how the hell didn't the other people there do something too !??! :blink:

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

#4 olp

olp

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:46 AM

"As we become more technologically advanced, there's more distractions," Killen said. "It's easy for someone to get addicted to something and neglect their children. Whether it's video games or meth, it's a serious issue, and (we) need to become more aware of it."

This guy can't be serious comparing video games to meth. :blink: Come on. Didn't the sound of crying babies distract them during their playing?

Ah, now we're going to have some sort of video game fixation disorder. We've got a name for everything now - how about these people are just fvcked up? There really was no alternative but to plead guilty.

The only good thing is the kids got yanked out of their home at such a young age they shouldn't be terribly affected by it - emotionally at least.

Edited by olp, 16 July 2007 - 09:47 AM.

#5 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,838 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:49 AM

It wouldn't be the USA if we didn't make up a disorder a week...
I mean come on... ADD... a kid doesn't want to pay attention in school ??? :blink:

now I need to hurry this post and get back to Madden 06 dammit :P

#6 Rampage

Rampage

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:58 AM

That's why I'm proud to be Canadian.

#7 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,838 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:05 AM

yeah cause Canadians never go fvcking crazy and murder their wife and 7-year old son and then hang themselves in an act of pity :P

nice try!!!

#8 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,624 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:23 AM

Because clearly video games don't exist in Canada.

(Nah, Crasher had the better comeback.)
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#9 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:39 AM

Huh?

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#10 UnderDogX

UnderDogX

Graphics Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:57 AM

Well, Canadians to say "aboot" a lot so they got that going for them :D

on to the topic....string 'em up and let 'em hang!!!
'05-'06 Hobey Baker Award Winner (Best Rookie Poster)

*click click* *whistle whistle* "Its my thing, my trademark...its what I do."

#11 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,598 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:03 PM

Canadians can be morons too. They aren't exempt.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#12 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:05 PM

Well, Canadians to say "aboot" a lot so they got that going for them :D

on to the topic....string 'em up and let 'em hang!!!

Or OrganIzation

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users